Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Being prepared covid
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Feb 23, 2021 12:49 pm 
I have to say I'm perturbed but not surprised by some of the cavalier attitudes expressed here. Over half a million people have died in the U.S. over the past year - a staggering number by any account. I know 5 people that died from it. I'm grateful that I've been able to be vaccinated, though it may be months before most others are. I'm going to continue to minimize my exposure as much as possible until the infection numbers drop, which looks like it will be in April or May.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Feb 23, 2021 2:59 pm 
Riverside Laker wrote:
Two covid deaths in our family. One from a card game.
Sorry for your loss. A neighbor guy has a once a month poker game which has mostly still gone on despite the virus. It's a small game with mostly the same players each time. One of the guys around age 60 tested positive for Covid about 3 weeks after our game. He contracted it at a company meeting where he works where there were about 50 people present and none wearing masks. We cancelled the game that month and he has recovered with no ill effects. It's troubling how the virus can affect everyone so differently. It can kill a healthy 20 year old, yet I have a 93 year old aunt who had it and fully recovered.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Feb 23, 2021 3:06 pm 
Person who used to babysit me when I was a kid died of covid. Early 50s.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Feb 23, 2021 3:21 pm 
In the US there are 500K deaths (so far) out of 330 million people, or roughly 1 in 700. Will be higher or lower depending on the risk factors among your universe of friends and family. In WA state there are 5K deaths out of 7.6 million people, or roughly 1 in 1500. Worldwide there are 2.5 million deaths out of 7.8 billion people, or roughly 1 in 7800.

mike

mike
PostTue Feb 23, 2021 7:22 pm 
Tom wrote:
...out of 330 million people, or roughly 1 in 700...Worldwide... roughly 1 in 7800.
That's a lot of excess deaths in the US due to a lackadaisical initial and ongoing response. Unconscionable.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Feb 23, 2021 7:41 pm 
mike wrote:
Tom wrote:
...out of 330 million people, or roughly 1 in 700...Worldwide... roughly 1 in 7800.
That's a lot of excess deaths in the US due to a lackadaisical initial and ongoing response. Unconscionable.
Well, some countries like Australia and New Zealand had a much easier time than the US quarantining since they are islands. Plus, in Aussie they would not even allow travel from province to province. They have had full capacity soccer games for a few months now, due to the strict initial isolation and quarantine measure. Not sure that the US would logistically able to do the same, except by applying the same extreme measures. Many people in this country still refuse to wear mask or take any precautions whatsoever for that matter. So imo, comparing the US's stats to those of the rest of the world is a bit like comparing apples to oranges. Our entitled society would never stand for the measures invoked in NZ or Aussie, that's just the reality of our culture, but it's convenient to blame the politicos.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Feb 23, 2021 7:57 pm 
I have known 5 people who had Covid. 4 had "cold" for some days. Then fine. Only weird tasting thereafter. The 1 person I know was in ICU and was going to crash related to Covid. Backstory: He used to smoke 2 packs a day for 15 years. He refuses to acknowledge his behavior of smoking may have contributed to his story.

Art is an adventure.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Feb 23, 2021 8:07 pm 
Stefan wrote:
Backstory: He used to smoke 2 packs a day for 15 years. He refuses to acknowledge his behavior of smoking may have contributed to his story
Speaking of smoking, remember last year about 12-19 to 1-20 just before widespread Covid there were the people getting very sick, dying and getting lung transplants due to tobacco vaping. Then as soon as the Covid thing took over, never heard another word about the vaping thing, what caused it and what if anything they did to eradicate the problem. Did I miss something or maybe the vaping and covid were somehow connected?

mike

mike
PostTue Feb 23, 2021 8:14 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
comparing the US's stats to those of the rest of the world is a bit like comparing apples to oranges.
Stats are just numbers. Of course you can compare them. The US response was/is a failure. I keep hearing about the economy but just look at e.g., NZ, Oz and China to see where our economy could be. shakehead.gif

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Feb 23, 2021 11:14 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
that's just the reality of our culture, but it's convenient to blame the politicos.
When the one politico with the most media coverage mocks people for wearing masks, you can blame that person for poisoning the well.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Feb 23, 2021 11:49 pm 
Well, we made it to page two and post #5 until....

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Feb 24, 2021 12:08 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Well, we made it to page two and post #5 until....
Yah, that's the trouble with covid threads, they just can't help but drift into guns.gif topics that shall not be discussed. guns.gif Everybody by now has had some connection to someone who got the virus with differing effects; except member rocknclimb, who I suspect is just bs'ing us to be a contrarian. tongue.gif Stand by for admin group decision.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Feb 24, 2021 12:13 am 
Lol...but no one has yet responded to my query about smoking-vaping and why that just suddenly went away when Covid started and no one seems to know if they found a reason for the vaping-lung problem thingy. smile.gif

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Feb 24, 2021 12:39 am 
^^^ On that issue I seem to recall reading something pre-covid about the discovery that some of the additives that manufacturers were putting into those vapes were a big part of what was causing the acute lung issues, but I'm not interested enough to go googling around to find it again.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Feb 24, 2021 2:45 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Lol...but no one has yet responded to my query about smoking-vaping and why that just suddenly went away when Covid started and no one seems to know if they found a reason for the vaping-lung problem thingy. smile.gif
Seems it's just a short attention span media phenomena. A much more interesting story about a far more pervasive threat came along and pushed small-potatoes fear mongering right off the table. A few people getting sick from vaping just doesn't sell advertising like millions getting sick and thousands dying from a new mystery illness that can affect anyone. It's quite fascinating to see what stories get lots of media play and which ones don't. We've all heard about the 777 engine on the plane from Denver, and I think most of us have heard about the 757 engine on the plane coming to Seattle just a day or two later (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-engine-utah-plan-emergency-landing-20210223-bm5dij7frffrbkysz5booamvpq-story.html%3FoutputType%3Damp&ved=2ahUKEwi6hqW2nYLvAhUKu54KHRbUBawQFjAQegQIKBAC&usg=AOvVaw0Xy6uKGJbRs1cHjYHfWOR3&cf=1) But have you heard about the 747 engine that came apart in Sweden at the same time? https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/boeing-747-cargo-plane-drops-engine-parts-netherlands-n1258485