Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mount Si to Mount Rainier?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Feb 25, 2021 10:08 pm 
In order to rise to power on rainier, you have to be able to run with the Big Dawgs

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
iron

iron
PostFri Feb 26, 2021 10:07 am 
i did si 4x in 9hrs a few years back https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7974722 a daytrip up rainier was much harder for all the reasons listed above

babylero

babylero
PostFri Feb 26, 2021 11:03 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
The leader let them rest at the Roman wall as the rest of the class summited,
Roman Wall is on Mt. Baker.

FiveNines

FiveNines
PostFri Feb 26, 2021 11:14 am 
The two preceding posts are the funniest thing I've read on the internet all week. Thanks!

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Feb 26, 2021 12:03 pm 
babylero wrote:
Malachai Constant wrote:
The leader let them rest at the Roman wall as the rest of the class summited,
Roman Wall is on Mt. Baker.
Yes I know, as I said about 10000’. 10000’ on Rainier is Muir or Sherman base camp. The point is some people die from CE or HAPE at 10000’ and there is no way to predict.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostFri Feb 26, 2021 6:52 pm 
Camp Schurman

RichP

RichP
PostSat Feb 27, 2021 8:51 am 
That could be the name of a new ultra race.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSat Feb 27, 2021 9:02 am 
Seattle_Wayne wrote:
Some of you on this forum have been hiking a lot longer than me, have a lot more experience than I, have probably even summited Mount Rainier.
I'm guessing that your eventual goal is to summit Rainier? For many reasons, that is a peak to take seriously. However, when things are right, it's quite doable for someone relatively new to hiking. I have summited Rainier once, my first mountain ever, and I had just turned 61 with little prior hiking experience. I used a guide service (International Mountain Guides), and they showed how/where, etc, and I did the "one foot after the other" bit until we topped the crater rim. Perhaps a better way is to develop the skills needed with a hiking partner, but I didn't have the time to go about it that way. I live 1000+ miles away and get out to visit family about annually. So, guide service it was for me. My guess is that physically, you'll do fine. The slog up to Camp Muir was the most difficult part as i recall, but above Muir, is usually the most hazardous part of the trip. But do not take the hike up to Muir lightly! As was stated above, people have died far below the 10K level. So that's my contribution to the conversation.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostSun Feb 28, 2021 9:51 pm 
Randito wrote:
FWIW: One of the qualifications one needs to enroll in the Mountaineers basic climbing class is to have a time of 2 hours or less from the Mt Si trailhead to Haystack Basin on Mt Si, while carrying a 35 lb pack and wearing boots. That's the basic fitness expected to start the process of training and education to climb Mt Rainier. The "graduation" climb for the course is often Mt Baker , which has less red tape issues, technically less challenging and less risk of altitude sickness issues. Roughly 50% of Mt Rainier climbing attempts result in a successful summit. Weather and fitness issues at he top two issues. I would say that doing a "North Bend Triple Crown" is a better gauge of the fitness that will enable a successful Mt Rainier summit. A triple crown is doing Mt Si, Mailbox and Granite Mtn in one day. McClellan Butte and Mt Tenneriffe are other peaks that could be include in a triple.
holy cow - I never thought of doing Si, Granite and Mailbox in same day. But man, that would be some workout. Makes me wonder if I can get to that level. Kind of doubt it, but would be interesting to even try two of those. Which two do you think would be "easier" ? By Mailbox, I'm assuming you mean at least takin the old trail up? Has anyone here done all three?

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSun Feb 28, 2021 10:04 pm 
I desire medium danger williswall.com
Seattle_Wayne

Seattle_Wayne
PostMon Mar 01, 2021 10:58 am 
moonspots wrote:
Seattle_Wayne wrote:
Some of you on this forum have been hiking a lot longer than me, have a lot more experience than I, have probably even summited Mount Rainier.
I'm guessing that your eventual goal is to summit Rainier? For many reasons, that is a peak to take seriously.
Yes, that is the eventual goal- to summit Rainier with a guide service. I'm using a guide service for Mount Baker next year. I have hiked quite a few challenging peaks within the last few years to include Granite, Vesper, Goat Peak (near Rainier) and Mailbox (old trail) just to name a few. This year I'm looking to hit Sloan, Three Fingers, Adams and Vesper (again). I appreciate your input. Interesting thread so far with a lot of great advice/shared experiences.

Vesper Peak
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostMon Mar 01, 2021 1:18 pm 
Seattle_Wayne wrote:
Yes, that is the eventual goal- to summit Rainier with a guide service. I'm using a guide service for Mount Baker next year.
If I may offer an recommendation, I'd suggest you seriously consider IMG (International Mountain Guides - www.mountainguides.com) for your expeditions. I've used their services for 4 PNW mountains and have also taken their crevasse rescue course. First Class all the way. I've been climbing/descending stairs at the local YMCA with ~50lbs in a pack for training. This fall/winter I worked up to about 80 flights of stairs (1100') elevation gain/loss a couple times per week before care for wife required more of my time. Checking trip reports is good for research. Do well!

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Mar 02, 2021 8:49 pm 
Seattle_Wayne wrote:
Yes, that is the eventual goal- to summit Rainier with a guide service.
Since climbing with a guide service involves committing to climb on a specific date regardless of what the weather happens to be on that day -- I reccommend targeting mid-July - 1st week of August for the best chance of favorable weather. Snow conditions that late in the season will be less favorable. In terms of snow -- May-June has more favorable snow conditions -- but you are more likely to have poor weather. If you develop a cadre of climbing partners that are also keen to summit Rainier and are willing to commit to the training and have the privelege of being able to take time off of work when a weather window opens in May-June you can climb in good weather and favorable snow conditions. But that is greater commitment and project than enrolling in a guided climb. AFAICT: Guide service practice is to to head up above Muir/Shurman on schedule even if the guide has high confidence that they will need to turn around -- the idea is that people who have been dragged up into a storm until they are freezing their butts off and glad to head down are far less likely to demand a refund because they didn't make the summit.

kevperro

kevperro
PostThu Mar 04, 2021 10:35 am 
The hardest thing about climbing Si is finding a parking spot.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Mar 04, 2021 11:10 am 
kevperro wrote:
The hardest thing about climbing Si is finding a parking spot.
Only for weekend warriors. People using Si/Mailbox as a conditioner usually go before and/or after work on weekdays.