Forum Index > Trail Talk > Deer Creek Road Mountain Loop
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rossb

rossb
PostThu Feb 25, 2021 5:12 pm 
Anyone been up Deer Creek Road (off the Mountain Loop Highway) recently? I read a WTA trip report from January. I'm thinking of taking advantage of the relatively low elevation snow from the last couple weeks and skiing it. If someone has been up the Mountain Loop lately, that would be helpful as well, mostly just to confirm general road conditions.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rossb

rossb
PostSat Feb 27, 2021 6:23 pm 
Just an update: Skied it today. About a foot of snow at the bottom, three feet at the first big view spot. The road was gated, but no trucks have been up there in a while. There are a couple spots where the water went over the road and and created a tricky crossing, but everyone managed it OK (from what I could tell). Great conditions that should hold for a while (even if it warms up, at most a skier will have to carry their skis only a little ways). Oh, and the really cool thing was that there was a ski track and a snowshoe track. Kudos to all for that. Met Jim Dockery up there -- had fun chatting from a distance.

Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Feb 28, 2021 9:00 am 
How far up did you go?

rossb

rossb
PostSun Feb 28, 2021 11:13 am 
I left the road at the trailhead, but didn't have the energy to get to the lake. I just played around a bit by the creek instead.

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostWed Mar 10, 2021 6:35 am 
Jump In Addenda, Being a long time teacher in Granite Falls I am on several of the local FB community groups. Several recent posts are from 4x4/"snow wheelers" reporting on road conditions on Deer Creek Road. I e-mailed the Darrington Ranger Station and got a prompt response that the Deer Creek Road Snow Play area is gated just above the big parking lot, but vandals keep breaking the lock/equipment and they are driving past the gate up the road. Once the Mountain Loop Highway is closed and gated, Deer Creek Road becomes a Snow Play Area and No Motorized Vehicles are permitted. Tom Tom