Forum Index > Food & Grub > vegatarian and vegan eating on the trail?
Previous :: Next Topic  
quantum

quantum

PostFri Feb 26, 2021 7:46 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
I usually try to keep it pretty minimal in terms of cooking (alcohol stove) so keep that in mind.

For breakfast I usually just stick with granola and lunch I'll eat some combination of larabars, probars, trail mix, etc.

For dinner an easy meal is couscous with dehydrated beans and/or split pea soup mix (used to be able to get it in bulk) as the base. Throw in some freeze dried veggies (I've used Karen's brand if I don't have time to dry my own) or kale chips and a bullion cube for flavor.

If you want to get fancier there is dehydrated hummus which you could make up with falafel and sun dried tomatoes on top of the couscous. 

Trader Joe's also sells a 10 min Farro that you can get away with boiling and letting sit to cook. There are various rice and beans that are quick cook you could experiment with as well.

Fancy ramen is also an option Koyo brand is relatively easy to find Uwajimaya also has some good options for the base. I'll usually add some more veggies and dehydrate some tofu/other meat sub to add to it. You can also find freeze dried tofu online but would probably want to add some extra flavor packets as it'll be a bit bland.

I haven't had many of the store bought meals but the Pad Thai from BP is decent and easy to come by. There have been more popping up, sorry I can't give any reviews of them though.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
altersego

altersego

PostSun Feb 28, 2021 11:01 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Vegans here. We usually eat the Mary Janes oatmeal for breakfast (add some nut butter if you want). Lunch is usually a mix of bars through the day and a tortilla filled with PB&J for lunch. Tortillas pack really easy. Dinner is a bag meal. The Good to Go penne pasta and the Mexican quinoa were pretty good. We stuffed their smoked three bean chili in tortillas and that was excellent. I think BP had a good cuban beans and rice. BP mango sticky rice was a nice treat on our final night out last summer. A lot of energy bars are vegan, but I like Bobos for their simplicity.

The market for vegan backpacking food seems to have grown quite a bit over the past few years. I recall only finding a few options when I searched after going vegan in 2017. But now there are vegan-only brands. There are probably some duds, so carry some extra seasonings if you haven't tried one beforehand.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote