Forum Index > Trail Talk > Warning: Avalanches at Franklin Falls
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostFri Feb 26, 2021 12:42 pm 
Randito wrote:
There is a road closure barrier on the old highway that he walked past to approach the falls.
Up at the pass or down at exit 47?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostFri Feb 26, 2021 4:34 pm 
The mountains are not Disneyland. The latter runs on the illusion of risk, while nearly all of it is mitigated. Mountains have risk. It cannot be entirely mitigated. Even inside ski areas (Crystal Pro Patrol wiped out all of Chair 6 a few years ago doing control work). If you go into the mountains you are taking risks. If you want to be able to assess them in order the make choices that conform to your risk tolerance, take classes or learn from others. But just because you are on a popular trail or climbing route, or there are some signs or wands or boot/skin/snowshoe tracks, or rangers patrolling, or others are nearby or just went the way you are going, or you are near a freeway does not mean, ever, that there is no risk. Many people seem to confuse the presence of some structure (as listed above) with reduced or lack of risk. That's incorrect. If real risk isn't your thing, then Disneyland is your place. That's not a criticism, just what I see as true. I like Disneyland...just not for the same reason I like the mountains.

If not now, when?
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Feb 26, 2021 4:56 pm 
fourteen410 wrote:
Randito wrote:
There is a road closure barrier on the old highway that he walked past to approach the falls.
Up at the pass or down at exit 47?
Exit 52 off the Alpental road is a large road closure barrier -- easily visible from the Alpental road. I suspect their is a similar barrier heading up from exit 47 -- somewhere before the bridge over the South Fork. "Jeepers" like to try their luck at how far they can make it on the snow covered road.

car68
Out on the skids

car68
Out on the skids
PostFri Feb 26, 2021 5:33 pm 
The exit 52 barrier is a huge snow berm. That end of the road is not plowed in the winter. The exit 47 barrier is only intended to keep vehicles out. The county plows up to the bridge because some of the homes on that road are occupied year round. Several years ago the county and USFS agreed to put those up and barriers on Tinkham due to the large number of vehicles trying to drive those roads and getting stuck and calling 911. It was never the intent to restrict foot traffic. Which would be impossible anyway.

I'm the guy 911 calls.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Feb 26, 2021 5:58 pm 
car68 wrote:
The exit 52 barrier is a huge snow berm.
It is that and large sign reading "road closed" and a bar between two uprights and reflective signs. The berm is impassable to any wheeled vehicle now, but earlier in the season additional measures are useful for discouraging "Jeepers" from attempting the snow covered road.

car68
Out on the skids

car68
Out on the skids
PostFri Feb 26, 2021 6:13 pm 
The berm is more effective. The signs are either gone or buried by now.

I'm the guy 911 calls.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Feb 26, 2021 8:02 pm 
car68 wrote:
The berm is more effective. The signs are either gone or buried by now.
It was still visible as of last week -- of course since then 46 inches of new snow has fallen -- hence the need for avalanche control.

HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostSun Feb 28, 2021 2:21 pm 
The whole video amazes me in that this guy expected someone to warn him of avalanche clearing work-- HELLO????? If it was a natural avalanche, no one would have been there to warn you . It's an avalanche prone area! Perhaps the USFS should put out a sign at the bottom of the trail saying "Warning-- entering avalanche territory", but if this is the case, they'd have to do that on just about every trail in the Cascades-- in some of the recent conditions we could have experienced Climax, tree-clearing avalanches that would have swept all the way to the bottom of valleys. Perhaps it would be easier to put a big electronic sign next to highways leading to the wilderness: "Warning-- if you leave the main roads, you may put yourself at risk-- be prepared"... Naw, they just wouldn't read it.... Sigh.....

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Feb 28, 2021 7:45 pm 
By that logic you don't have to yell "rock!" when you knock one loose and there might be people below because bad things can happen to hikers. There's a fundamental difference between warning somebody about your actions actions vs something you're not doing. There's also a fundamental difference between planning something and knowing exactly when and where it will happen vs maybe it will happen on a specific trail and day and maybe it won't.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Feb 28, 2021 9:03 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
By that logic you don't have to yell "rock!" when you knock one loose and there might be people below
Except the WSDOT did yell "rock" in advance of detonation of charges and the filmer took heed and moved out of target zone. Based on how many people ignore the warning signs @Big Four ice caves -- that have killed multiple people -- the "there should have been a warning sign" argument seems kinda silly.

rossb

rossb
PostMon Mar 01, 2021 8:26 am 
I think the only question is whether they should put a little notice at the beginning of the road ("Caution -- Avalanche Control Today"). For all we know, they did. This sort of thing is done all the time when they do blasting, for example. From what I can tell from the video, it wasn't necessary though. This was not an avalanche that filled the valley, nor would it ever fill the valley. It also wasn't that fast moving. The main thing is, from above, you had a good view of the entire avalanche path. That, plus a verbal warning (that even I could here, with my very bad hearing) dramatically reduced the risk to the general public. The comparison to a few days earlier was interesting, but misleading if you felt like the situation was dangerous. A few days earlier, people were venturing up the path because it was a nice day, and the risk of avalanche was low. That wasn't the case when they did the avalanche control work. It was a high avalanche risk day, which is why very few people were there (two). Even with all that, the workers could see any person who was crazy enough to go that far on that day. It is understandable that people think they should do more, but the folks who did this know what they are doing, and were careful.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Mar 01, 2021 11:55 am 
Randito wrote:
Except the WSDOT did yell "rock" in advance of detonation of charges and the filmer took heed and moved out of target zone.
You seem to think you're correcting me. I didn't say a thing about what DOT did or didn't do. I said that a poster was wrong to think that other hazards existing means people aren't responsible for ones they knowingly create.
Randito wrote:
Based on how many people ignore the warning signs @Big Four ice caves -- that have killed multiple people -- the "there should have been a warning sign" argument seems kinda silly.
We can agree that sign doesn't stop 100% of the people who see it. Why do you think it stops zero? If that sign has stopped even one person from risking their life then it's not pointless at all, but you clearly think it's pointless so I'd really like to see your math on this one.