Forum Index > Trail Talk > US HWY 2 Sunday evenings
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Mar 02, 2021 1:06 pm 
Roundabouts definitely require adjustment and learning by drivers. I recall navigating one near Gig Habor and the driver in front of me came to a full stop in the roundabout when they saw another vehicle approaching the roundabout. My horn got them moving again. My 1st experience with roundabouts was in Israel-- there there are very few stop signs as sabra drivers ignore them anyway. The inside of Israeli roundabouts have large planters or boulders to discourage going straight through.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
timberghost

timberghost
PostTue Mar 02, 2021 1:20 pm 
So I living in Sky contacted WSDOT about the fact that heading west bound with people driving 65 + there. They don't slow to the 50 mph speed limit. I asked if flashing your speed limit signs could be installed since WSP or King County Sheriff don't slow people down. That's when he told me roundabout design is supposed to go in this summer. Might be a place to shy from mid week if the mid week traffic remains as busy as it is on the weekend. There you have it folks.

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Mar 02, 2021 1:34 pm 
timberghost wrote:
That's when he told me a roundabout is supposed to go in this summer there
Again, it's not on the WSDOT project list for any time before 2024. The Puget Sound Regional Council approved $260k for preliminary engineering and design in October 2019 but as far as I can find it hasn't been funded for construction, estimated at $4 million.

timberghost

timberghost
PostTue Mar 02, 2021 1:52 pm 
Well you can talk to him personally if you want, doesn't matter to me. Your inquiry was forwarded to the Washington State Department of Transportation from Councilmember Lambert. My name is Brian Nielsen and I am the Deputy Regional Administrator for this region. I appreciate your concern and input on US2 operations through Skykomish. Let me share WSDOT's efforts to remedy some of the issues. First, some background on the area. WSDOT installed the 50-mph speed zone several years ago with participation from Skykomish leaders. We recognized their concern with access to and from 5th Street but advised the reduction may not significantlyaffect the travel speeds through the area because the roadway was conducive to higher travel speeds. We measured travel speeds following the speed zone implementation and found some reduction in overall travel speeds, but not nearly the posted reduction. We have not installed “Your Speed Is” dynamic signing for several reasons including: • our experience in similar areas demonstrates a high likelihood for vandalism, • we do not have a low-cost means to power a westbound sign, • we know from experience that the effect of such signs tends to wear off in locations like this, i.e., motorists become less compliant over time and, • it is difficult to maintain electronic devices in more remote areas like this. Maintaining safe roadways is our top priority. WSDOT regularly evaluates collision data compiled from police incident reports. This is evaluated for all state highways every two years. More focused field reviews occur roughly every fouryears. Additionally, we monitor all state highways for ongoing maintenance and operational needs as well as perform additional reviews in response to citizen input. The 5th Street intersection and vicinity safety performance has been positive over the past several years. There has been a total of six reported collisions in the vicinity over the past 15 years. Two of the six involved multiple vehicles. There were no injuries resulting from either of the multiple-vehicle collisions. In the most recent five years, there has been only one reported collision, which involved a vehicle striking a deer. Based on this, we have not considered installing additional safety enhancement devices since the reduced speed zone implementation. We recently collaborated with Skykomish on a planning study, with focus on a future vision for the 5th Street intersection, then scoped the design for a roundabout for the intersection. Skykomish was successful in securing a regional grant to begin the work necessary to construct a roundabout. We expect that initial design activities will begin this summer. Ultimately the roundabout will provide controlled access to Skykomish and assist in regulating US 2 travel speeds approaching andentering the intersection. I hope this is helpful in answering your questions and providing an update on activities. Should you have further questions, please email us at nwpublicaffairs@wsdot.wa.gov. Sincerely, Brian Nielsen, PE Deputy Regional Administrator, Northwest Region Washington State Department of Transportation (206) 440-4692 office (206) 437-7244 cell

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Mar 02, 2021 2:11 pm 
If you got a big enough car you can just ignore the 'bout and plow straight thru the middle. Seen a guy do this in granite falls once.

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Mar 02, 2021 2:27 pm 
timberghost wrote:
We expect that initial design activities will begin this summer. Ultimately the roundabout will provide controlled access to Skykomish
Yes, this is the design phase. They don't know when anything will be built, if ever.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Mar 02, 2021 4:28 pm 
BigBrunyon wrote:
If you got a big enough car you can just ignore the 'bout and plow straight thru the middle. Seen a guy do this in granite falls once.
That's the way we roll out in Granite...they really should install ramps on each side of the roundabouts, jump to pass!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostTue Mar 02, 2021 5:37 pm 
Schroder wrote:
timberghost wrote:
We expect that initial design activities will begin this summer. Ultimately the roundabout will provide controlled access to Skykomish
Yes, this is the design phase. They don't know when anything will be built, if ever.
Spoken like a true pessimist

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Mar 02, 2021 6:37 pm 
Sky Hiker wrote:
Schroder wrote:
timberghost wrote:
Spoken like a true pessimist
up.gif Well it could follow the Index-Galena Road schedule

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostWed Mar 03, 2021 1:02 pm 
Randito wrote:
Roundabouts definitely require adjustment and learning by drivers. I recall navigating one near Gig Habor and the driver in front of me came to a full stop in the roundabout when they saw another vehicle approaching the roundabout. My horn got them moving again.
I agree roundabouts require learning by drivers, especially the rules about yielding. The problem is that not everyone seems to know that you need to yield to drivers already in the roundabout. I once narrowly avoided an accident when a car just plowed into a roundabout while I was coming around -- and then honked at ME!). For that reason, I am cautious about entering or watching other people enter, perhaps like the above car who got honked at!

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Mar 03, 2021 1:59 pm 
People argued on here with me about my opinion about proper roundabout driving techniques. Yes, you yield to a vehicle already in the roundabout, but what do you do when both vehicles arrive at the same time? With a stop sign the proper procedure is to yield to a vehicle on the right if you each arrive at the same time. If you notice where the yield signs are on a typical roundabout the correct thing is to yield to the vehicle on the left. Don't bother to try to argue this point as I know I am right. hockeygrin.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostWed Mar 03, 2021 2:45 pm 
My concern with a roundabout here is the size. There's really not alot of room there even going into the hill to the north which has a house above it. Then you have the deli and gas station to the south. As everyone well most, highway 2 gets a fair number of semi's and log trucks so even one the size of the the roundabout at Sultan is very doubtful. But I am not a design engineer or claim to be. Just a resident.

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Mar 03, 2021 3:18 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Yes, you yield to a vehicle already in the roundabout, but what do you do when both vehicles arrive at the same time?
How is that possible? You're going in the same counterclockwise direction and if the other arrived at your entry point at the same time it means he's already in the circle, so you yield.

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Mar 03, 2021 3:27 pm 
A very busy double set of small roundabouts was recently built on Filbert Road underneath I-405. A few years ago you could sit 10 minutes at the stop sign trying to get through but now it's a piece of cake. Back to Hiway 2 - my impression from the WSDOT reports is that the next priority intersection for a roundabout is in Sultan at Main Street by Bubba's. I don't know how they can fit one in there.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostWed Mar 03, 2021 3:36 pm 
That should be higher priority as its the one causing backups. Last sat there was a wreck right there.