Forum Index > Trail Talk > Interested to see what downed trees folks are finding after windstorm
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostWed Jan 27, 2021 5:01 pm 
I did a loop at Wallace Falls and also there were no downed trees but two very large trees took out part of the trail as they fell into and across the river. Very few branches here. The area near Deception Pass however had a great deal of damage..... Perhaps damage was in areas exposed to W or SW winds?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BW

BW
PostWed Jan 27, 2021 5:20 pm 
Last weekend I was at the Carbon River entrance to Rainier to hike the Florence Peak trail. There were probably two dozen large trees down along the rainforest loop. Some had smashed interpretive signs and several were across the boardwalk.

gb

gb
PostTue Mar 02, 2021 8:29 am 
"Access to Carbon River Trail limited by fallen trees. Due to a large number of fallen trees, the Carbon River Trail (former road) is temporarily impassible for bicyclists after the first 1.5 miles and challenging for hikers. Thanks for your patience while crews work to clear the road. (updated 2/12/21)"

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Mar 02, 2021 2:13 pm 
I was runnin on a trail, going up a steep section head down. BOOM!!! Suddenly my forehead hit a log and I got TAKEN DOWN. Fell straight to the ground!!! Get these logs out of the way!

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostTue Mar 02, 2021 2:32 pm 
BigBrunyon wrote:
I was runnin on a trail, going up a steep section head down. BOOM!!! Suddenly my forehead hit a log and I got TAKEN DOWN. Fell straight to the ground!!! Get these logs out of the way!
Situational awareness is a key survival skill in the mountains. Also, please consider carrying a pruning saw and contributing to the cleanup!

If not now, when?
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Mar 02, 2021 3:03 pm 
Hikers have it easy. Climb over, or under, or detour, or turn around. And someone will eventually cut out the tree. Canoeing? You are SOL every time. No climbing over/under, if heading downstream turning around may not be an option, getting sucked under to your death is a possibility, and no one is going to clear the log. In most cases, never. I’m at Issaquah creek right now, the downed trees, some obviously in place for years, make a mockery of the rosy description of the paddle in various guidebooks. Yesterday it was Ravenna creek, 2/3rds of available paddling cut off. I need an aluminum skiff, a small chainsaw, and some help. hmmm.gif I have seen a team clearing water weed from Mercer Slough, that’s where I saw the effectiveness of the skiff.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Mar 02, 2021 4:25 pm 
cascadeclimber wrote:
BigBrunyon wrote:
Situational awareness is a key survival skill in the mountains. Also, please consider carrying a pruning saw and contributing to the cleanup!
He/she? Should also wear a helmet at all times...and maybe knee pads.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.