Forum Index > Trail Talk > US HWY 2 Sunday evenings
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Mar 03, 2021 3:52 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:
Yes, you yield to a vehicle already in the roundabout, but what do you do when both vehicles arrive at the same time?
How is that possible? You're going in the same counterclockwise direction and if the other arrived at your entry point at the same time it means he's already in the circle, so you yield.
Here is an example from the roundabout I use most frequently. I am heading east from Marysville to Granite falls via State Route 92 and approach the intersection with highway 9. A vehicle travelling from the north heading south on 9 can arrive at the <entrance> to the roundabout at the exact same time as me and I yield to that vehicle on the <left> because there is a yield sign on my left facing me. If you notice, yield signs will be on your left when at the entrance to most roundabouts.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Mar 03, 2021 3:53 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Yes, you yield to a vehicle already in the roundabout, but what do you do when both vehicles arrive at the same time?
No, there is no rule that only one vehicle is allowed in the roundabout at a time. Vehicles approaching a roundabout need yield to a vehicle in the roundabout to avoid a collision, but if they can merge into the flow of traffic circling the roundabout they may do so. So two vehicles approaching at the same time may both enter simultaneously.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Mar 03, 2021 4:10 pm 
Dispute all you want but I am still correct about this. On the example above the vehicles are in very close proximity and neither has yet entered the roundabout and arrive at the entrance at the same time. If this is not true (which I know it is) then explain to me why (most) roundabouts have yield signs and if they do they will always be on your left facing you AT the entrance to said roundabout.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Mar 03, 2021 4:51 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
If this is not true (which I know it is) then explain to me why (most) roundabouts have yield signs and if they do they will always be on your left facing you AT the entrance to said roundabout.
It's like the merge at an onramp to the freeway. The car on the freeway has the right-of-way but if you can enter the lane without disrupting the flow, you can.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Mar 03, 2021 7:48 pm 
In my example, there is no flow, both cars come to the entrance of the roundabout at the same time and have not yet entered it. If what I say is not true, there would be no reason for the yield signs, which as I said, are always on your left. I realize that this does not happen often, but it definitely does.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostWed Mar 03, 2021 8:03 pm 
There's only one roundabout rule to learn other than staying in your lane: yield left It's the simplest traffic control system ever devised by man. Yield to any car on your left, whether you're entering the roundabout or already in the roundabout. Yield left. That's all there is to it. Yield left.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Mar 03, 2021 8:19 pm 
Amazing, someone who actually gets it, lol. Although I am always prepared to yield to the right for those who don't "get it". smile.gif

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostWed Mar 03, 2021 9:10 pm 
texasbb wrote:
There's only one roundabout rule to learn other than staying in your lane: yield left
Absolutely! I’ve lived and driven quite a bit in the UK. There is ONE other rule: USE your turn signal! When you are sitting and waiting to turn into a roundabout, it helps if you know the vehicle coming at you is turning before it gets to you, leaving you a gap to turn into. There are other rules about ‘being in the right lane’. In the UK they can be 3 or 4 lanes wide. One near where I stay in Scotland is 5 lanes wide, receiving traffic from 7 different roads - including two 2-lane 50+ mph roads. And just for fun - it also has multiple traffic lights that blink differently depending on whether you are exiting the roundabout or continuing around! For real horror - google the famous ‘Magic Roundabout’ near Swindon, England. One large Roundabout with 5 or 6 attached smaller ones on the periphery of the larger one. My take: Not only do US drivers not understand how to drive them, but US Engineers don't design them properly - they are far too small in diameter to work properly. It’s not hard to understand why truckers hate them!

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Mar 03, 2021 9:32 pm 
jinx'sboy wrote:
It’s not hard to understand why truckers hate them!
That's for sure, there is no way a larger tractor-trailer can go through the roundabouts here without going over the curb. Never though about the using a turn signal in one, not a bad idea, but I would be worried about that one guy who didn't realize that his blinker was stuck on... The really annoying roundabouts are the ones in residential neighborhoods that are so small that you have to go into the bike-pedestrian lane in order to avoid the center divider. Dumb.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostWed Mar 03, 2021 9:53 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
there is no way a larger tractor-trailer can go through the roundabouts here without going over the curb.
That's exactly what they're supposed to do. But it's not a curb, it's a "truck apron," designed for the purpose.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Mar 03, 2021 10:13 pm 
The great thing about roundabouts is they confuse the hell out of people, so they slow way down and look carefully before venturing through -- instead of blowing through uncontrolled intersections (or stop signs) at 15 over.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Mar 04, 2021 1:11 am 
Uncle Rick never liked a roundabout, said they'd make him spill his whiskey

timberghost

timberghost
PostThu Mar 04, 2021 6:54 am 
That's because Uncle Rick never went around the outside he went thru the middle

rossb

rossb
PostFri Mar 05, 2021 8:40 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
The really annoying roundabouts are the ones in residential neighborhoods that are so small that you have to go into the bike-pedestrian lane in order to avoid the center divider. Dumb.
You mean these? Those aren't really roundabouts. Those are just traffic circles, which are meant to slow down drivers. They work. Intersections with them are much safer. It is really a different thing. Roundabouts are meant to move traffic more efficiently, and are often a substitute for traffic lights or stop signs. They aren't especially good for pedestrians or people riding bikes. Traffic circles are a safety measure meant to slow down vehicles and are similar to speed bumps.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Mar 05, 2021 10:57 am 
Sure they are fine in the example that you posted, but the ones I have encountered in Marysville are on very narrow streets where you have to go all the way into the bike-pedestrian lane to go through-around. I really dislike speed bumps, but they make more sense than those. Speed <humps> are better, not as abrupt as bumps but still slow things down.