Forum Index > Trip Reports > scream
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Mar 03, 2021 7:04 am 
Schroder wrote:
Cougars are not going to bother you and are going to go out of their way to avoid you.
Your wrong there I had one run at me on the trail in the Chiwaukums 3 years ago in the fall until I started waving my arms and he stopped and slowly sleeked away. Tell that to the kid in Leavenworth that was attacked or the Mtn biker near north bend.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Mar 03, 2021 10:39 am 
There are always exceptions. The mountain biker killed near North Bend was 1 of the 2 people killed in North America since 2010.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostWed Mar 03, 2021 2:54 pm 
But 8 since 1990. I would hate to tell the family of the exceptions that it's a rare circumstance. So a person must be prepared however you as an individual plan that or not is your decision. However a fair portion that have died in the past have been children. So don't act like a kid

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Mar 03, 2021 5:14 pm 
Mountain bikers and trail runners if alone can seem like deer.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
MtnManic

MtnManic
PostWed Mar 03, 2021 10:06 pm 
Ha - one cat looked intrigued before walking away, the second stared for a bit then stole the last my ice cream.

Backpacking: limited to one pack at a time. Cameras: limited to as many as I can carry.
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostThu Mar 04, 2021 7:54 am 
"But 8 since 1990." From the Everett Herald: "Fifty-one people have died on U.S. 2 between Snohomish and Stevens Pass since 1999, state accident data shows." Much safer for a resident of Skykomish to head out the back door rather than the front. hockeygrin.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
timberghost

timberghost
PostThu Mar 04, 2021 9:46 am 
Problem is with the "back door" is old cascade highway heading west is washed out at Miller river and getting onto two at Money creek is a real problem. Then if you tried to get on highway 2 from the east end of the old cascade highway it is blocked 70% of the time with the train at the RR crossing.

CascadeRambler
CascadeRambler

CascadeRambler
CascadeRambler
PostSun Apr 11, 2021 9:55 am 
I’ve watched yearlings do this in the spring, it’s almost like mama just booted them out and they were lonely and confused. Also seen full grown females do this in the Middle Fork, one just a few hundred feet west of the old Mailbox Peak trail head kiosk down along the creek. Another recent sighting of this type of vocalization was across Gifford Lake from my lunch spot. Actually very amazing to hear. Sort of like waking up to a pack of wolves howling across the valley, or the sound of a loon call in the early morning. You just have to smile and enjoy, you are a witness to the real wilderness.

- Ramblin the Cascade Range
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostSat Apr 17, 2021 6:47 am 
Slugman wrote:
First: see lots of blood and bloody paw prints. Second: hear blood-curdling scream. Third: pack up and go back to car. That sounds exactly right to me!
“Paw” prints sounds better than “foot” prints. Climbed Mt. Washington (Olympics) 20 or so years ago and had the entire thing to myself (or so I thought). It was in June so there was still plenty of snow. On the way down I saw some “paw” prints following my “foot” prints from a couple hours earlier. Obvious I was being stalked. Needles to say, I kept my ice axe at the ready.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Apr 17, 2021 1:06 pm 
Around 1994 I was hiking into the Hidden lake and Hidden lookout area. I cut the trail half way there and climbed the ridge. That night I slept on a rock over looking the valley I had climbed out of. In the middle of the night I woke up (in my bivi sack(kind of like a human burrito)) with he hair on my neck standing up hard! I remember being shocked awake and then drifting right back to sleep. In the morning I noticed a stream and small pool next tot he rock I was sleeping on. I ALSO noticed large paw prints in the soft dirt/mud next to the pool of water. Then it hit me, a large CAT bent down to drink water 10" away from my head, as I was sleeping that night. I can only figure I woke up when the cat was drinking. When it all hit me, I swung around and looked down the valley. It was a long talus ridge. My eyes caught movement and I zeroed in on a large Cougar sitting on a rock and his tail swinging back and forth a hundred or so yards below me. I could have been that human burrito if that cat had wanted. It was a sobering experience.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSun Apr 18, 2021 7:55 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
large CAT bent down to drink water 10" away from my head, as I was sleeping that night.
If it was 10 feet, that would be alarming. If it was really 10 inches, I think I would have messed my bivy bag. eek.gif Lucky for you that big kitty didn't feel like enjoying a burrito meal that time.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostSun Apr 18, 2021 2:17 pm 
I have come within 5'-7' of a cougar on two different occasions during solo outings; one in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness and the other in the Blue Mountains (southeast Washington). In both situations, the cougar ran away. The best chances of success is by making eye contact, trying to look big, and making lots of noise; most cougars usually spook easily because they want to attack prey from behind.

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.