Forum Index > Trip Reports > Ski North Mountain, Darrington (Sat 2/27/21)
Previous :: Next Topic  
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath

Faster than light
PostFri Mar 05, 2021 12:29 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
I don't post that many trip reports because I don't do interesting trips, but I was encouraged to write one for this.  North Mountain is an under appreciated gem, and skiers could benefit from more skiers here.

Darrington sits at around 400', the summit is 4k.  It's hard to know where the enough snow to ski line is before leaving home, which means if the lookout is your goal there's no telling how much distance or vert might be involved.  It's rewarding throughout.  To the best of my knowledge, the long route is free of avy potential (but don't just take my word for it).

We arrived Saturday and drove as far as we could without getting stuck, parked off the side of the road, and started skiing.  Conditions were marginal down low, and a couple of jeeps had been there before us.  Things got better as we went up, we reached the end of the tire tracks after a while and had nothing but untouched snow ahead of us.   smile.gif  It was a beautiful spring day and a lot of snow melted at the bottom while we were having fun above, we walked the last mile and a half.  It would have been more fun overall with a higher clearance vehicle.

Sorry the pics are kind of redundant, the road spends a lot of time in the woods.  There are more views to be had but we didn't reach them.

Here's a Garmin route.  If you look at the satellite view you can see a shorter option, it probably isn't a great idea when there's any risk of a slide.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/41066950

View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
rossb

rossb

PostFri Mar 05, 2021 9:07 am 
Excellent. Thanks for posting that. I haven't been there in years. How far up did you drive?

I've also been to Segelsen Ridge (one mountain to the west). North Mountain looks better (but I haven't been to either in at least ten years).
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
neek

neek

PostFri Mar 05, 2021 9:44 am 
looks worth it for the view of Whitehorse alone.  Thanks!
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo

PostFri Mar 05, 2021 11:14 am 
Cyclopath wrote:

Thanks for posting. Fond memories of when a friend and I skied and camped next to the lookout years ago.

I'm curious in your picture...who plowed the road? Sometimes roads like this get plowed if there is a logging "show" accessed nearby.

--------------
Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath

Faster than light
PostFri Mar 05, 2021 11:53 pm 
We were both wondering the same thing about plowing.  It just abruptly ends.  There's no obvious reason for being cleared or for where the plowing ends.  There's nothing but MTB trails on that road to the very top where the lookout is.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath

Faster than light
PostSun Mar 28, 2021 10:21 pm 
We went back for the lookout yesterday.

MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot

PostSun Mar 28, 2021 11:37 pm 
Nice trip Cyclopath. I took the skinny skis to North Mountain last year. They work really well on the snow covered roads. You got the better views though. I was in the middle of the cloud.

The lookout plastered with snow
The lookout plastered with snow
RichP
here and there

RichP

here and there
PostMon Mar 29, 2021 8:31 am 
I'm probably done skiing for the year but my preference is snow-covered roads as they are usually not too steep for my limited abilities. I'm sad that I didn't take up skiing earlier but am glad that I eventually did.