Forum Index > Trail Talk > Favorite wilderness in Washington
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
TheWanderingIndian

TheWanderingIndian
PostTue Mar 09, 2021 12:04 pm 
Just a thought, what’s everyone’s favorite wilderness in Washington?
I found this picture and a list of all 33 wildernesses in the state. The National parks are oddly named but we’ll call them as they are now. Alpine Lakes Wilderness Boulder River Wilderness The Brothers Wilderness Buckhorn Wilderness Clearwater Wilderness Colonel Bob Wilderness Daniel J. Evans Wilderness Glacier Peak Wilderness Glacier View Wilderness Goat Marsh Research Natural Area Goat Rocks Wilderness Henry M. Jackson Wilderness Indian Heaven Wilderness Juniper Dunes Wilderness Lake Chelan-Sawtooth Wilderness Mount Adams Wilderness Mount Baker Wilderness Mount Rainier Wilderness Mount Skokomish Wilderness Noisy-Diobsud Wilderness Norse Peak Wilderness Pasayten Wilderness Salmo-Priest Wilderness San Juan Wilderness Stephen Mather Wilderness Tatoosh Wilderness The Enchantments Trapper Creek Wilderness Washington Islands Wilderness Wenaha–Tucannon Wilderness Wild Sky Wilderness William O. Douglas Wilderness Wonder Mountain Wilderness I’ve visited a lot of them around our state, and by far my favorite is the Olympic National park area (Daniel J. Evans wilderness). The wildlife, flora, mountains & glaciers are all incredible in my opinion. That wilderness has everything you could want. What’s your favorite and why?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Mar 09, 2021 12:18 pm 
Can't narrow it down to 1, have to pick 2. Alpine Lakes and Glacier Peak. With one you have polished granite and gorgeous lakes everywhere, the other is the king of meadowy ridge walking. And I also love the Mt. Baker, Stephen Mather and Henry Jackson, because gorgeous scenery of course.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostTue Mar 09, 2021 12:23 pm 
The spreadsheet I use to track where I've been says 46% of the trails I've hiked have been in the ALW. So gotta be there. Alpine lakes just never get old and the area is very accessible. I'm surprised it doesn't have National Park status to honest.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Mar 09, 2021 12:26 pm 
Henry M Jackson because I live there and the Glacier Peak wilderness because I am close to there. I don't like to drive far to hike.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
babylero

babylero
PostTue Mar 09, 2021 12:35 pm 
I'm quite fond of the Clearwater and Colonel Bob Areas because some of my favorite day hikes have come in those areas and I've always had relative solitude. If I had to choose one wilderness as the "best" in the state I'd vote GPW. Only think it lacks is premier river valley hikes/rain forest. It has everything else you could want. One of the best backpacking areas in the state.

JVesquire

JVesquire
PostTue Mar 09, 2021 12:48 pm 
The Enchantments is not its own standalone wilderness area, it is part of the Alpine Lakes, just fyi. But to answer your question: Juniper Dunes, of course.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostTue Mar 09, 2021 1:12 pm 
Daniel J. Evans Wilderness Olympic Park is my go-to backpacking destination.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Mar 09, 2021 2:48 pm 
Pasayten, Glacier Peak, Stephen Mather, Chelan Sawtooth, Alpine Lakes. Maybe not in that order depending on the day you ask.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostTue Mar 09, 2021 6:06 pm 
pasayten,glacier peak

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostTue Mar 09, 2021 8:06 pm 
Cool idea for a thread! Here's my list: Stephen Mather Wilderness (North Cascades National Park) Glacier Peak Wilderness Daniel J Evans Wilderness (Olympic National Park) Alpine Lakes Wilderness Mount Rainier Wilderness Goat Rocks Wilderness It's interesting to see the Pasayten Wilderness so high on so many people's list. I've only had one trip onto the Pasayten, but I can see I need to get out there more!

RichP

RichP
PostTue Mar 09, 2021 8:58 pm 
They are all good but The William O Douglas and Salmo-Priest have been two that I'm fond of.

TheWanderingIndian

TheWanderingIndian
PostTue Mar 09, 2021 11:10 pm 
It’s awesome to see everyone’s feedback! It looks like as of right now the glacier peak wilderness has the popular vote! But I get that, I spent 4 days solo a few years ago in the gpw and that’s where I saw the best alpine sunset of my life! The pasayten definitely gets an honorable mention to because of the alpine fishing experiences I’ve had out there! Such great alpine fishing, and the remoteness and solitude is definitely a draw.

TheWanderingIndian

TheWanderingIndian
PostTue Mar 09, 2021 11:14 pm 
RichP wrote:
They are all good but The William O Douglas and Salmo-Priest have been two that I'm fond of.
Elaborate on the salmo-priest wilderness please. That’s like the most isolated far out wilderness we got lol I’ve yet to get out any where near there...

peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostTue Mar 09, 2021 11:40 pm 
Henry Jackson, Glacier Peak and Mt. Baker

RichP

RichP
PostWed Mar 10, 2021 9:47 am 
The Salmo-Priest has a 20+ mile ridge traverse called The Shedroof Divide. Probably one of the least used wilderness areas in the state due to its remoteness from Pugetopolis. The one semi-popular hike is the Salmo-Priest Loop. https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/shedroof-divide