Forum Index > Gear Talk > Car Camping Tent
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Geography Nerd
Beer Tester

Geography Nerd
Beer Tester
PostThu Mar 11, 2021 2:47 pm 
Anyone have any recent experience with a 4/6 person tent they like for car camping? I've had an REI Hobitat with garage for six years but it's finally ready for replacement. I'm looking for something we can stand up (5'10") in and will fit a full sized air mattress plus a few kids. I looked at new REI options (Kingdom series) but both the online and friend reviews are pretty weak. Currently considering the new version of the Big Agnes Big House but they haven't come out with any accessories yet (footprint, vestibule, garage, etc.) Also looking at the North Face Wawona. I like the "garage" but not that it's built into the rain fly. Anyone have other options they love?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Mar 11, 2021 11:14 pm 
I have used a couple Sierra Designs tents for family camping first was an Airstream 4 which you could stand in. We could use it with two kids. Later we used an expedition base camp 4 person which was very sturdy with 1/2” poles and a strong dome design. Lower but still usable if you stoop. After kids left we put cots inside. We picked up a Kelly 4 person tent in Cody Wy whic is quite roomy and lighter than the SD and comfortable but not as good in whole gales. Now we use a pop up 4 wheel camper on a F150.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSat Mar 13, 2021 10:08 am 
I like my Basecamp which I have used during WTA Volunteer Vacations on lake Chelan. There’s a model for 4 people as well as a model for 6. Easy setup, good rainfly, comfy inside.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSat Mar 20, 2021 7:50 am 
army mgpts is large enough to stand up in and has provision for a vehicle lists at just under $2000 army surplus.

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSat Mar 20, 2021 9:54 pm 
I have an older Big Agnes 4-person tent with vestibule that I really like. The one I bought was discontinued several years ago, but I do recommend their products. It's held up fairly well, and the one repair I needed, they did their best to take care of it for me. It looks like they've changed their design, but the one I have looks more like the Marmot Orbit 6p tent with vestibule. I love the huge covered area outside the tent for storing gear or sitting under when it rains. Hope you find something you like! Tents these days are so different from the moldy old nylon tents I grew up with! lol.gif

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Geography Nerd
Beer Tester

Geography Nerd
Beer Tester
PostWed Mar 31, 2021 8:44 am 
Thanks for the replies folks, we ended up with the North Face Wawona mostly because the Big Agnes model just changed and they don't have an ETA on accessories like vestibule/garage. Only set it up in the yard but it was an easy setup and seems like it will work out well for us. The tent material and poles do not seem as "burly" as our old REI Hobitat but we shall see how they hold up.

ACrowe

ACrowe
PostFri Apr 09, 2021 12:49 pm 
We bought a Big Agnes Bunkhouse 4 last year and it has worked well for us. Although so far we've only used it for week in state parks on the Oregon coast during nice weather. Easy to set up with lots of nice features, and it's well built. So far the only drawback is that it was pretty pricey.