Forum Index > Trail Talk > You're not here for the cycling, are you? STP 2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostThu Mar 11, 2021 6:57 pm 
For the second year in a row STP (Seattle to Portland) has been canceled. Lots of my friends do this just about every year, so disappointment reigns. This prompted me to put together a short piece from the 2019 STP as a reminder that someday things will hopefully get back to normal. Lots of eating and drinking and resting was found in these archives.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu Mar 11, 2021 7:31 pm 
Lance Armstrong was right. It’s not about the bike. But it is about the patch. My last 1-day STP patch is from 2019 and I was so looking forward to the ride this year. It feels wonderful to go though the chute at the end in Portland and be given the patch. The second best pleasure for the STP is when I change my socks halfway into the ride at 100 miles in Centralia. The RAMROD ride was cancelled also which means I am still going up “zoo hill” everyday but am dispirited with the effort.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Mar 11, 2021 11:20 pm 
Did the STP many times more of a party than ride sad to miss out on the fun ones, Bolder Boulder cancelled also. frown.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostFri Mar 12, 2021 9:18 am 
A buddy of mine commented in 2013 that he'd always wanted to do the STP...so I convinced him to sign up. It has been a great time for us for 7 years, and much relaxed compared to my prior one day rides. We both miss the outings.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Mar 12, 2021 10:17 am 
STP as a cultural/culinary event is second tier compared to RAGBRAI

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Mar 12, 2021 10:40 am 
You can still ride from STP. You aren't limited to a mostly flat route this year and you won't have trouble finding a camp site.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Mar 12, 2021 10:43 am 
Randito wrote:
STP as a cultural/culinary event is second tier compared to RAGBRAI
I've heard a lot about RAGBRAI, I've always assumed it's because Iowa people don't have much else to talk about.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Mar 12, 2021 10:46 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
You can still ride from STP. You aren't limited to a mostly flat route this year and you won't have trouble finding a camp site.
I've never had any interest in participating in a ride with 10,000 of my closest friends -- however -- another rider I know pointed out that while I could ride the STP route any day of the year -- that's not the same as "doing the STP" -- which does involve queuing for the loo and other social crowding events. If long distance bike rides is something that appeals to you, but without hundreds+ of other riders and things like SAG wagons, feed stations and mechanical support check out this organization: https://www.seattlerando.org/

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Mar 12, 2021 3:29 pm 
I've noticed the more I ride, the more endurance I have hiking long days with lots of vertical. smile.gif

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostFri Mar 12, 2021 3:38 pm 
Randito wrote:
I've never had any interest in participating in a ride with 10,000 of my closest friends
Well it's 8000 and events like these are meant to be a social occasion, like foot races and other sports gatherings. However, I understand why someone would not embrace the crowds. It is nice to have the support so the participant can just sit back and ride, eat and drink.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Mar 12, 2021 3:57 pm 
williswall wrote:
Randito wrote:
I've never had any interest in participating in a ride with 10,000 of my closest friends
Well it's 8000 and events like these are meant to be a social occasion, like foot races and other sports gatherings. However, I understand why someone would not embrace the crowds. It is nice to have the support so the participant can just sit back and ride, eat and drink.
I guess I'm thinking of the '80s heydays.
Quote:
Participation reached a peak in 1989, the tenth year (Paul Zakar, Director‘86 to‘89) when the limit of 10,000 riders took part.
There are people that appreciate the support , espcially mechanical support. Since I'm the sort that enjoys doing my own bike maintenance, that doesn't mean much to me.

neek

neek
PostFri Mar 12, 2021 4:19 pm 
Randito wrote:
I guess I'm thinking of the '80s heydays.
Probably would have kept growing if it wasn't capped. STP 2006, 2 days. It was fun, but once was enough. Stopped by grandma's, a few blocks off the route, for cabbage rolls, a welcome break from peanut butter bagels. Other Cascade rides - Chilly Hilly and the Tunnel Ride - were somewhat frustrating due to poor etiquette (groups blocking the whole roadway going 10 mph). But STP is long enough for folks to spread out.

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostFri Mar 12, 2021 4:23 pm 
Yeah they more recently reduced the total from 10,000 to 8,000. The support came in handy a few years ago when I was riding with another buddy of mine...he blew a rear tire. As I was trying to help him change the tube, discovered that his spare was sized for his son's bike. I hit up a passing cyclist who generously donated a tube, but within ten minutes after the change the tire blew again. Upon closer inspection of his tire it was torn. Not many cyclists carry a spare tire but we got him a ride from the SAG wagon ahead to a bike shop that fixed him up and we met later at McDonalds. Very handy.

neek

neek
PostFri Mar 12, 2021 4:26 pm 
williswall wrote:
Upon closer inspection of his tire it was torn.
Folded dollar bill trick really works! Although not many carry cash these days. And not very helpful when you've already blown your spare tubes.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Mar 12, 2021 4:38 pm 
A folded $20 has better rolling resistance.