Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > the population implosion
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSun Mar 14, 2021 8:05 am 
I only recently learned that sex has become blase (e with the little thingy over it)! Really? no more sex!!!! https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_briefs/RB9126.html https://www.pop.org/world-population-implosion/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSun Mar 14, 2021 8:44 am 
This one will turn political - even though it shouldn't - so I better get this in now. Here is the situation in Washington state: https://ofm.wa.gov/washington-data-research/statewide-data/washington-trends/population-changes/population-change-natural-increase-and-net-migration Our "natural increase" is still positive but is now much smaller than our in-migration. I wonder if King County has reached zero natural increase, but I was unable to find the same data at the county level. Population and trail crowding are of course correlated, but maybe not as much as with lifestyle and demographic changes. Do older people hike more or less? My informal take is younger folks hike less, as my (older) demographic seems overrepresented in the backcountry. But maybe the younger folks all go to the same places (the Instagram effect?).

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Mar 14, 2021 9:26 am 
Population growth in King county has been driven mostly by people moving here for good employment. My dad came here in the '50s to work on the KC-135 project for Boeing. I worked for MSFT from '95 to '15 -- I almost always was the only "local" on every team I worked on -- with other people on my team from Taiwan, Mainland China, England, Quebec, India, Lebanon, Serbia, Ukraine , Florida, Ohio, SoCal, Boston, New Hampshire, New York, Virginia, CD, Georgia, Texas. Natural increase isn't what it was when I was a kid -- in my suburban neighborhood pretty much every house has a family with 3-4 school age kids. Now that neighborhood is more a mixture with empty nester households and family household -- but most school age families having more like 1-2 kids rather than 3-4. But this a longer term trend --- my dad was on the school board in the '80s and one of the issues they had to deal with was school closures as the elementary aged school population had dropped so much as the "baby boom/Boeing Boom" crop of kids aged out.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Mar 14, 2021 10:46 am 
Educated people have fewer children. You can see it all over the world.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Mar 14, 2021 11:28 am 
Female literacy is strongly correlated with lower birth rates. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4649870/

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSun Mar 14, 2021 1:08 pm 
cdestroyer wrote:
I only recently learned that sex has become blase (e with the little thingy over it)! Really? no more sex!!!!
No. We’ve just managed to decouple sex from pregnancy.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!