Forum Index > Trail Talk > Wilderness Aromas
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wolffie

wolffie
PostTue Oct 02, 2018 6:00 pm 
neek wrote:
find true silence once every few years
I had the most horrible experience last Thursday. You know that big letdown you feel, when something -- perhaps the first motor you hear as you approach the road -- ineluctably informs you that the trip is over and you are back in our erstwhile civilization? Well, for me, it's the first recorded mechanical electronic "music" that someone subjects me to (try to escape it, it's impossible). OMD, it was even in the Men's room at Stevens Pass where I'd bolted to properly wash my hands for the first time in a week. One can't even take a crap without machine media? But someone had already gotten me. Our last night, camped not far off the PCT, I'd turned-in, settling in to listen to the moon rise as I drifted off. With sudden shock and growing panic, I heard recorded 'music' approaching, crescendoing, like some evil inescapable predatory monstrous trap, as some passing after-dark PCTer just had to supply everyone he passed on the PCT from Mexico to Canada with the noise they'd come so far to temporarily escape. "Dear God, give me strength, or take me now." And it wasn't the first time, not even on this trip. It brought a flashback to another horror, long ago, on (of all places) Outer Space, a popular and spectacular route on Snow Creek Wall. We'd just started the first pitch when another pair of climbers showed up, one of them with -- strike me dead if I lie -- a transistor radio dangling from his harness. To this day, no one has climbed that route so fast. It was a race against Death, fearing I would throw myself off the cliff to escape the pain. Somehow, we survived. It was the stuff of gruesome fairy tales we tell to scare the children into obedience.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostThu Aug 20, 2020 10:45 pm 
Starting to rain here in Roslyn this evening. It was pretty warm this afternoon, so, the smell of "hot pine" is still in the air. Mix that with the smell of fresh rain....aaaaaaah. I'm going to sleep with all the windows open tonight.

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
kiliki

kiliki
PostFri Aug 21, 2020 8:37 am 
Occasionally while hiking I've smelled something like French fries. Anyone know what this is? I have always wondered about it.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostMon Mar 15, 2021 7:01 pm 
Black Cottonwoods along the river today. The leaf buds with that strong scented resin saturating the air. Smells so good!!!

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostMon Mar 15, 2021 7:32 pm 
Walking on a dirt road a few days ago near Winthrop. Snow leaving quickly in the valley bottom. In the warm sun and temp near 50, I smelled the first hit of dirt/earth. Mixed with a little cow-sh## from the farm nearby. I never minded the cow smell, somehow, in the spring. It is good to see spring after 120+ days of snow on the ground.