Forum Index > Trail Talk > SR 165 to Mowich Lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostTue Mar 16, 2021 9:21 am 
I would need some documentation or reference to validate the claim that Mowich Lake gets ripped off more than any other place....vehicle breakins, food caches? And yes, a 3 day self supported hike with food can be done with 12 pounds or less easily.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
brineal
Snarky Master

brineal
Snarky Master
PostTue Mar 16, 2021 9:43 am 
altasnob wrote:
It is still a unique situation where people are driving a dirt road to a trailhead and not passing through National Forest.
Are you sure? [img]

Brian R

Brian R
PostTue Mar 16, 2021 10:22 am 
kiliki wrote:
Brian R wrote:
My biggest gripes are they take up parking lot space, campground space, are a commercial operation elbowing out the general public, are exempted from wilderness group size limits, and are generally obnoxious on the trail. In fact, they border on universally obnoxious. I would rather have MRNP wilderness encounters with hunters, motorcycles, wolves, ticks, giardia cysts, chupacabra, aliens with scales and large teeth, escaped convicts carrying hatchets.
Totally agree about these commercial operations elbowing the public out. When I was planning a Stehekin area backpacking trip last summer I was very surprised to learn that there were commerical supported running tours going from Cascade Pass to Stehekin, occupying campgrounds as a group along the way. I started doing some digging into how many of these types of operations were going on and taking up backcountry campsites in MORA and NOCA and it seemed like a lot. Given how hard it can be for the public to get backcountry permits I was galled to find that participants can just buy their way in and that profit-driven companies were allowed to get an allotment of sites. Write your parks!!
https://www.aspireadventurerunning.com/wonderland-circumnavigation-run/ "Little compares with the freedom of a light vest and strong legs cruising on one of the world’s most spectacular trails. Share each day with friends, delicious meals and “glamp” style accommodations and you’re living the Aspire dream."

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostTue Mar 16, 2021 10:31 am 
whiners. I've driven an '82 B210 hatchback up the old Middle Fork road in the 90's multiple times. Everybody had to get out a couple of times to make it over or through large obstacles. I liked the challenge. Sure it took 2.5 hours from Edgewick to the end of the road, made it feel more wild. If there was an easy 5 mile RT day hike to a large lake or a vast scenic overlook (Garfield Ledge Overlook doesn't meet that description) at the end of the pavement up the MFK it would be swarmed - like the Ira Spring or Snow Lake or Mailbox Peak trails. But there really isn't anything like that until you drive all the way to Dingford Creek, and even then its a bit of a haul for the average non-hiker (14 mile RT on a rough mudbog trail). I love the Mrytle and Hester Lake hikes, I've done both on sunny summer weekend days and seen next to no one on the trails. Cloudy rainy day at Ira Spring and you still have to park a mile down the road.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Mar 16, 2021 1:13 pm 
Going back to the Mowich Rd issue, it seems like a person could contact the state senator/reps in that district to see if this is on their radar. It seems like grading the road would happen because local politicians would make it happen. They might care about the condition of the road because a good road attracts more tourists and recreational visitors. Looks like it's District 2. These guys might not care if you aren't a constituent, but maybe one of you is. https://app.leg.wa.gov/districtfinder/ You can just zoom in on that map to find the legislators, no address needed.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Mar 16, 2021 3:33 pm 
kiliki wrote:
You can just zoom in on that map
That's a very useful resource map. Thanks, kiliki for posting it. ~z

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Mar 16, 2021 3:55 pm 
I've been driving up the Mowich Lake Road since 1965 and it doesn't seem any different to me. Some years it's worse than others, probably from the amount of water over the road. There was one year where half of us in the parking lot had flat tires from metal in the road part way up. Good luck in trying to find any money for improved maintenance. I'm more concerned about the Carbon River (Fairfax) bridge integrity.

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostTue Mar 16, 2021 5:00 pm 
Schroder wrote:
I'm more concerned about the Carbon River (Fairfax) bridge integrity.
For sure!

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Carbonj

Carbonj
PostTue Mar 16, 2021 7:57 pm 
Fairfax bridge is checked out often tho logging trucks sneak over instead of CC road thru Wilkeson or mainline thru Kapowsin, Then theres a group that says when the sh## hits the fan they're going to blow the Fairfax bridge and live up the carbon river.

Brian R

Brian R
PostWed Mar 17, 2021 4:38 am 
There is another way.

rossb

rossb
PostWed Mar 17, 2021 7:44 am 
Schroder wrote:
There was one year where half of us in the parking lot had flat tires from metal in the road part way up.
Yeah, I remember that.

uww

uww
PostWed Mar 17, 2021 12:55 pm 
kiliki wrote:
Totally agree about these commercial operations elbowing the public out. Write your parks!!
I am pissed off about this too. They should not be reserving campground sites for commercial operations, and they definitely should not be selling the walk up sites like they do at White River. Who do I write to make the most impact?

kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Mar 17, 2021 3:40 pm 
For max impact I'd say in addition to the park... https://www.nps.gov/mora/contacts.htm also write your federal elected officials (Cantwell, Murray and whoever your Rep is). It may be a more favorable political climate now for those who have concerns that regular people are being excluded from park facilities in favor of profit making companies and their paying clients.

Carbonj

Carbonj
PostFri Mar 19, 2021 6:58 pm 
Brian R. Yep there is a couple, sometimes a key is needed

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostWed Mar 24, 2021 6:12 pm 
Brian R wrote:
https://www.aspireadventurerunning.com/wonderland-circumnavigation-run/ "Little compares with the freedom of a light vest and strong legs cruising on one of the world’s most spectacular trails. Share each day with friends, delicious meals and “glamp” style accommodations and you’re living the Aspire dream."
I think Harvey Manning would be rolling over in his grave at the sight of that. Who uses these things? Trail runners? Extreme outdoors types?