Forum Index > Trail Talk > Now the wait starts...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Mar 18, 2021 12:29 am 
Someone posted on Fakebook about hoping for a 'Chants permit and some good old boy responded with "Don't worry about it, this is a free country and it's our land, so just go when you want!". I responded that one would likely be fined and removed from the area. He responded with "Fine, you stay home, I will go where I please!". So, curious if one were caught and had an overnight camp setup without a permit, what would happen and how much would one expect to be fined? Not that I plan to go there anyway, there are many beautiful places with few or no people where I will go, no permits needed.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostThu Mar 18, 2021 9:39 am 
Who's going to link that famous thread first?

HikingBex

HikingBex
PostThu Mar 18, 2021 1:23 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
So, curious if one were caught and had an overnight camp setup without a permit, what would happen and how much would one expect to be fined?
Some friends of mine underestimated how long the thru hike would take them, got freaked out at the idea of going down to Snow Lakes in the dark & so decided to "bivy" overnight in the Core Zone (I use that term loosely, they didn't have any overnight gear at all with them, although they were able to borrow a tent from some backpackers). After a cold, sleepless night, they ran into a Ranger & explained their situation. They still got fined, I think it was around $200 per person? Anyway, that was around 5 years ago, I would imagine if anything they would be harsher now

jaysway

jaysway
PostThu Mar 18, 2021 2:13 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
So, curious if one were caught and had an overnight camp setup without a permit, what would happen and how much would one expect to be fined?
I could be wrong, but it seems like if caught they will kick you out immediately, and have the ability to ban you from the Enchantments for five years and fine you up to $5,000. From the USFS website: "Violation of permit terms or other Forest Service regulations may also invalidate an issued permit, requiring a group to terminate their visit with maximum penalties of $5,000 and/or 6 months in jail."

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Mar 19, 2021 3:20 pm 
What if one does the 18 mile through hike using two vehicles and takes a long nap halfway in? No tent or over-night gear. wink.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Mar 19, 2021 3:33 pm 
HikingBex

HikingBex
PostFri Mar 19, 2021 3:46 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8027376&view=next
haha top-notch, it's just missing "and then everyone clapped"

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Mar 19, 2021 3:47 pm 
I wouldn't bring a bag, probably just the usual daypack with a light quilt and emergency bivy sack. Most likely I would not sleep, just bring some caffeine pills and take a lot of rest stops.