Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jul 06, 2020 8:31 am 
RichP wrote:
Silky Katana Boy. It's a great saw and cuts well. Lightweight too.
I like the name for some reason. smile.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostMon Jul 06, 2020 8:33 am 
Here's the best price I've seen lately. Unfortunately out of stock presently. Most people on WTA work parties have their own personal saw. https://www.bigsupplyshop.com/Silky-KATANABOY-500mm-XL-Teeth-403-50_p_125696.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI29Ttnfm46gIVsSCtBh2grA0dEAQYASABEgLQS_D_BwE

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jul 06, 2020 8:45 am 
I found this video.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
wakerobin

wakerobin
PostMon Jul 06, 2020 2:01 pm 
On a side note we hiked Lake Creek Trail up to Black Lake this week, just a day hike to the lake and back. Ran into a NFS volunteer at the trail head and he had just hiked out past the lake and said it was a MESS. Loads of trees down out there. He said it would be lucky if it got done this year or anytime soon. (They also found an unattended fire they were able to find a guy fishing who was responsible. It boggles the mind that in an area that has burned, has obviously burned, recently that someone would be so stupid.)

Between the silence of the mountains and the crashing of the sea...
TDILER

TDILER
PostSat Jul 25, 2020 10:05 pm 
Top of Andrews Ridge Roughly 6700 ft
Top of Andrews Ridge Roughly 6700 ft
I just explored the upper ridge of Little Andrews around the 6700 ft elevation. Its a disaster up there no sign of any trail anymore on ridgetop. It is a 100% off trail trek after 5800ft as far as I could gather, fallen logs brush, a hell of an obstacle course. Fantastic workout. Water a super challenge too though I found two springs on Andrews side of ridge near the ridge top but very hard to find unless I gps d it. The ridge
looking down to Chewuch River other side of Andrews Ridge
looking down to Chewuch River other side of Andrews Ridge
McKay Peak in Distance from ridgetop
McKay Peak in Distance from ridgetop
top after walking east 1 mile has massive marshes a real jungle lots of water . A nice side trip is little Andrews Creek itself its a pain to navigate to but many wonderful natural pools. I did not want to return to Andrew Creek trailhead thru all that again so I decided to go over ridge and back down other side to Chewuch river and road 5160 back. That really beat me up but made for a nice wilderness experience so close to a major forest road/ rec area. That would make a great loop trail . Anyway I wish you luck building that trail, it is one ambitious goal and will be a hell of a challenge and I will be the first to thank you and the 2nd person to hike it after you ! I hope you succeed & be safe. Keep me posted.

TDILER

TDILER
PostTue Jul 28, 2020 7:29 pm 
YES forget going past Black lake in hopes of reaching the pasayten high country as trail maps show. IMPOSSIBLE WA can produce the most surprising jungles any South American Country would envy. No walking back there, just a desparate wade over deep brush and fallen logs

Flanik
Flanik11

Flanik
Flanik11
PostFri Nov 13, 2020 10:06 pm 
We池e you able to make it out this august and clear a little brush? I知 thinking of going out in July and doing the same thing to be able to get up the ridge.

TDILER

TDILER
PostSat Nov 14, 2020 11:17 am 
Sadly no August for me. I was up there mid May last year as the snow melts out quickly on that steep aspect seems that would be better than the brutal July Sun for clearing up the hot ridge. Will try in May. I would love to clear a path by one of the hidden water sources I discovered way up that ridge as I don't know the water situation N / beyond in the Kay peak area. There is water at the plateau up top but you have to detour east over awful jungle quite a ways. I included maps of my route. I got fed up with the slow progress and went straight up the ridge. I'm not sure that's the ideal route but there is water. I suppose your/the.. ideal route is more N NW. slowly ascending. I saw no signs of the old trail up there so its a free for all. Red circles = midsummer water source.

Flanik
Flanik11

Flanik
Flanik11
PostSat Nov 14, 2020 6:06 pm 
Yeah n/nw may be slowly as sending but I知 sure the blow down jungle is a nightmare! Thanks for the maps we値l check things out come may/June.

Flanik
Flanik11

Flanik
Flanik11
PostSat Nov 14, 2020 6:09 pm 
christiangustafson, We池e you able to make it up for here in August! Thanks for the photos and info. I want to get out there and work the trail in the spring

christiangustafson

christiangustafson
PostFri Mar 19, 2021 8:23 pm 
I cleared 3 mi of Little Andrews Creek from the junction off Andrews Creek, e.g.
I cut out 20+ trees and a ridiculous amount of manzanita brush and alders. I have the 21" saw from Corona now and will return this year to finish the route over to Meadow Lake and the Coleman Ridge trail #505. We must save the Pasayten.

TDILER

TDILER
PostSat Mar 20, 2021 1:00 pm 
You are the true hero of Pasayten. Thank you for the efforts. I am convinced the Pasayten has more wicked growth than central American jungles. You went recently then? snow is gone till the ridge i take it? More of a pleasant temperature I bet than July. I m fixin to head up there in May. I ll hit you up before see what i should bring toolwise I ll try n carry the torch a bit further.

christiangustafson

christiangustafson
PostSat Mar 20, 2021 2:36 pm 
Heh heh, nah, these photos are from August. But I'll head up LAC again in May if the snow is gone. This work is unpleasant in August this far east in the range. It's also very slow and tedious, once you start peeling back 20+ years of layers and levels of manzanita runners. I'll get new loppers, too. Next steps for this trail are to trim a set of overgrown brushy switchbacks that invite you deeper up into the drainage. After that, you get into the heart of the burn and a ton of downed timber, and a thin thread of trail. I was really impressed with the 18" Corona saw, and I bet that the 21" model can eat most of the lodgepole pine there. Every cut tree then reinforces the route. I'll take loppers, the saw, and this tool from Rogue Hoe, which was very useful at connecting the broken bits at the very start of the trail. I'll post updates as I follow the route up and below Kay Peak and then west to Meadow Lake, over a few weekends. If you see me out there, I have scotch and lots of stories. smile.gif

RichP

RichP
PostSat Mar 20, 2021 5:49 pm 
Very cool that you've adopted this trail. cool.gif

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSat Mar 20, 2021 7:30 pm 
I知 a fan of the H24W. https://barnel.com/loppers.php Buy the oiler. The cleaner? Vegetable oil seems to work well. Actually save the oiler when it痴 empty, and just refill it with vegetable oil too. The tip works well with oil fitting on the loppers.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!