Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > March Madness
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Mar 21, 2021 10:54 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Oregon St. still going, Sweet 16! Nice for them (where my parents went to school).
They deserved to win but I hated seeing it because Oklahoma State was clearly the better team, they just missed so many shots they normally make. Illinois really stunk it up and I had them as a final 4 team. Only one more day of 8 games to watch then a break until Sat-Sun and the Sweet 16. Go Zags!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Mar 22, 2021 1:46 pm 
Oklahoma put up some resistance, but Gonzaga moving on. Oregon beat the crap out of Iowa. Pac 12 is rolling thru the Tourney, still no losses.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Mar 22, 2021 1:56 pm 
Was a great game, a bit stressful with Reaves pretty much scoring at will and Watson getting his shot blocked like 4 times, he needs to fake more. Seemed like they became a bit stagnant in the second half, not moving the ball as good as usual. Good thing Timme had a monster game, scoring, defense and rebounding at critical times. The more I watch Suggs the more I think he is over-rated, don't get me wrong he is a great player, but I think he will be making a mistake leaving for the NBA after one season. Imo he needs to work on his jump shot, no way is it NBA quality for a guard.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Mar 22, 2021 4:08 pm 
UCLA is just toying w/ Abilene Christian. The Pac 12 had become a laughingstock, but they are the ones laughing now. Not only are they still perfect in the Tourney, most of the games have been by big margins. It's fairly stunning how much better these teams are than their reputation seems to suggest they are.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Mar 22, 2021 4:26 pm 
Yea, so much for the "Experts". Some savy sports betters are likely making bank this year.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Mar 22, 2021 6:59 pm 
Had to happen eventually, Colorado getting thumped by Florida St. Pac 12 not perfect anymore. Maryland down 8 at halftime against Alabama. Decent likelihood that Michigan is going to be the only Big 10 team to advance to the Sweet 16 out of I think 9 teams. Pretty bad.

JimK

JimK
PostMon Mar 22, 2021 7:23 pm 
Looking at USC history during their game with Kansas. In 1971 USC went 0-2 vs National Champs UCLA. They went 24-0 against everyone else. They finished 5th in the polls. They did not make the NCAA Tournament. Only conference champs did. 28 teams were in the tournament. 4 had first round byes. Those teams were in the Sweet 16 before playing a game. Two wins put them in the Final 4. Hard to imagine being in the PAC 8, going 24-2, and not qualifying for the tournament.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Mar 22, 2021 9:07 pm 
That was certainly a much different era JimK. There were times North Carolina, NC State and Maryland from the ACC were all really good, and only 1 of them could go to the Tournament. There was also a time when the NIT was just as prestigious as the NCAA Tourney.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Mar 22, 2021 10:19 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Had to happen eventually, Colorado getting thumped by Florida St. Pac 12 not perfect anymore.
Yep, surprised Florida St has won 2 games given they have been averaging around 20 turnovers a game over the prior 3. That should come to an end Sunday against Michigan. UCLA is going to be tough, should be a great game against Alabama. If the Zags get by Creighton they are going to have a tough matchup against either USC or Oregon, I am thinking USC. I think there are too many teams, I would like to see something between the 68 and the number Jim K listed.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Mar 30, 2021 6:49 pm 
Gonzaga in the Final 4 again! Led USC wire to wire, in control pretty much the whole game. Suggs just missed a triple-double.

dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostTue Mar 30, 2021 8:28 pm 
They are soooo fun to watch! Both my parents, my sister and brother in law went to Gonzaga. Go Zags!!

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Mar 30, 2021 10:58 pm 
U C L A ! UCLA UCLA! Finally, a good game in the Elite Eight. The Zags are awesome, but crushing opponents is not that interesting to watch for general fans of the game. I’m picking Houston over Baylor. Gonzaga will of course beat UCLA, the only question is will it be competitive. If UCLA can find a second player who can throw up something other than a brick, maybe they can stay within 20. Fun fact: only UCLA has ever won a title. The Zags, Cougars and Bears are all 0-for eternity in titles.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Mar 30, 2021 11:14 pm 
I hated to see Michigan lose, but I think they would have given the Zags more problems that UCLA. If Juzang has an off game or the Zags can keep him in check, it should be another rout. I think Baylor's defense will win out against Houston, but it might be down to the wire finish. Michigan did what so many teams do especially down the stretch, forcing up shots and going one one one. That's what really separates the Zags from most other teams, that being they work as one cohesive unit, always sharing the ball and taking god shots. They constantly move and pass the ball, not allowing the other teams defense to get set. Kispert has been a bit off lately, he is due to go off big if he gets the looks.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Apr 02, 2021 10:22 pm 
Stanford and Arizona will meet for the women's Championship on Saturday. For the first time in nearly 30 years, the Champ will be a West Coast team.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Apr 03, 2021 6:07 pm 
UCLA, once again providing the only competitive game. The Baylor/Houston game was a snoozer. Juzang is amazing.