Forum Index > Trail Talk > Hiker stabs mountain biker
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Hiker666

Hiker666
PostTue Mar 23, 2021 9:17 pm 
https://www.facebook.com/57880267186/posts/10157947158887187/ A hiker stabs a mountain biker so badly that he had to be airlifted to Harborview. No injuries reported to the hiker, but he felt threatened. Be careful out there, everyone.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Mar 23, 2021 11:09 pm 
Just because someone is 6+ decades old -- it doesn't mean they have grown up.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Mar 23, 2021 11:23 pm 
Man, I knew hikers hate mountain bikers, but this is over the top.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Mar 23, 2021 11:42 pm 
Apparently he stabbed him because he was on top...of him, and with an illegal switchblade type knife.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Mar 23, 2021 11:43 pm 
Apparently he stabbed him because he was on top...of him, and with an illegal switchblade type knife. Are trail runners next?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
neek

neek
PostWed Mar 24, 2021 6:40 am 
deleting my reasoning due to misunderstanding which direction the parties were heading

Waterman

Waterman
PostWed Mar 24, 2021 6:47 am 
As i both hike and mt bike i always yield to up hill traffic whether hiking or biking. Much harder to regain momentum on a bike in a root ad rocky uphill section. Stuff like this just reinforces my love of animals and my general disappointment in my fellow man.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
JPH

JPH
PostWed Mar 24, 2021 7:15 am 
Typical boomer-on-boomer crime!

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostWed Mar 24, 2021 9:48 am 
We are in the midst of a crisis of lack of trail decency and situational awareness. I see it in many forms every single time I'm out, and as I've been hiking and climbing here for almost 30 years, the change I've seen is nothing short of heart-breaking. If we aren't each asking ourselves, "How is my trail behavior affecting the experience of others on the trail?" we are part of the problem.

If not now, when?
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Mar 24, 2021 10:11 am 
I don't think this has anything to do with trail etiquette. The guy is a whack-job.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Brian R

Brian R
PostWed Mar 24, 2021 10:25 am 
Platform pedals = freedom.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostWed Mar 24, 2021 10:33 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
I don't think this has anything to do with trail etiquette. The guy is a whack-job.
a trend? Seems that whack-job is the "new" normal. Narcissists have always been a trail problem, from the jerks playing loud music, the numbskulls rolling boulders on highly traveled trails, the @$$hats leaving TP flowers on the trail, the "my dog is exempt" crowd, all have one thing in common - They are #1!!!!!!! and the rest of us can pound sand. I got some awesome schadenfreude with the guys rolling boulders on the trail just above Yakima Park - I told them there was trail just below them and they basically gave me the finger...just as a LEO ranger came around the corner. He was pissed off as they likely just bombarded him.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Mar 24, 2021 10:34 am 
I had pedals that have clips on one side and platforms on the other. For anything technical use platforms. But the stabber sounds like a sociopath shakehead.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Mar 24, 2021 10:48 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
Agreed, but I think it took two egomaniacs to have the situation deteriorate to the degree that it did. I think part of the issue is people thinking "I have the right of way" rather than "these are suggestions to help people get along on the trail." If both of these rude dudes had behaved more in the classic Seattle "no you go" manner than an "I have the right of way". At least the hiker was only armed with a knife and not a handgun.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Mar 24, 2021 10:52 am 
The whole episode is ridiculous. I think we as a species are so far gone that Jesus is ticking off his travel checklist, and is redding up to come down and pay us that last, promised visit.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert