Forum Index > Trail Talk > Wonderland Trail planning/info
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brian R

Brian R
PostThu Mar 18, 2021 10:01 pm 
Randito wrote:
Brian R wrote:
As for camping without a permit, well, all I can say is go for a drive and look around.
Pretty typical for the "inconvenience is oppression" crowd to equate their "outrage" at not being able to engage in their pleasure pursuit at the drop of a hat with the plight of people that have not the means for secure housing.
That simple, you suppose? Grow up.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
russk

russk
PostThu Mar 18, 2021 10:29 pm 
Brian R wrote:
Malachai Constant wrote:
5k will buy you 1000 lattes. I just have no inclination to try for the Chants anymore there are many similar areas in the Sierra and Rockies that have similar terrain. Even more in more obscure ranges in Nevada, Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming. Just say no research the net, the truth is out there.
Good point. The Cabinet Mountains will soon be my home range. How nice it will be to get away from all this.
Let me know how the Cabinet Mountains work out. I stopped in the Bitterroot National Forest and loved it. Shoot, I might just need to make a pass up 93 again.

Owler

Owler
PostFri Mar 19, 2021 9:15 am 
Brian R wrote:
Good point. The Cabinet Mountains will soon be my home range. How nice it will be to get away from all this.
Seems like the time is right for a move for you and I hope it works out well for you! I feel just the opposite...the longer I live in Washington the more I enjoy my time here exploring the mountains and everyday I wake up more excited than the previous for my next adventure. I've only been here for 7 years though so maybe years down the road I will feel the same way you do wink.gif

themountainwhispers

themountainwhispers
PostFri Mar 19, 2021 1:34 pm 
Well, I'll make a comment about the "cops vs. freedom" debate here, on the off chance (who knows?) it might bring us a little closer to the topic: I hear a lot of potential agreement that a society that is trying to manage limited resources, by doubling down on rules enforced by people with guns and the license to a kill, is perhaps in a dangerous spot. The alternative seems to be growing and sharing our capacity to be resourceful and respectful ourselves, because we know it's important. And isn't long-distance wilderness hiking among the best ways to do that? I think that's what all of us have in common. That said, my family and I are not going to be hiking without permits. Not even pulling 18 hour days (but full respect on that). We're going to try and see if the walk-up process can work, and have Glacier Peak as a backup. Does anyone have any recent experience with walk-ups? I know it might be different this year, but... If you show up early (how early? where?) on the day before you plan to start, and are flexible on where you begin, how reasonable has it been to get spots? Thanks!

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostFri Mar 19, 2021 1:54 pm 
themountainwhispers wrote:
Does anyone have any recent experience with walk-ups? I know it might be different this year, but... If you show up early (how early? where?) on the day before you plan to start, and are flexible on where you begin, how reasonable has it been to get spots?
At least for MORA there were no walkups in 2020, so no recent experience there. And who knows in today's climate? But in the past I have always secured a permit for what I wanted on a walkup, but I'm not expecting that to be the case this year in light of the intense competition for outdoors recreation permits. I'll be trying it though.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostTue Mar 23, 2021 2:18 pm 
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostTue Mar 23, 2021 8:43 pm 
Looks like you're hitting good spots with good leisure time. I couldn't help but notice your total gain of over 29,000 feet tho....it's more like 22,000 up/down total.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostTue Mar 23, 2021 9:02 pm 
Yeah, I noticed that anomaly too. I just calculated everything using Gaia. Not surprised it's inaccurate.

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostTue Mar 23, 2021 9:23 pm 
zimmertr, did you get the early lottery for a permit this year?

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostWed Mar 24, 2021 6:17 pm 
Randito wrote:
If you look at the backcountry camping zones map for MORA there is quite a lot of areas that offer "unlimited" numbers of campers. Most of these are thickly timbered and a good distance from the Wonderland. Realistically -- with 30% reserved for walk up permits -- it not really a problem for "locals" to do the Wonderland -- the online reservation system is more for people flying in to hike the Wonderland.
I've gotten maybe 3 permits for the WT in past 5 years, that were walk-ins. It was kind of difficult and we almost didn't get a workable itinerary. The online res system is more than just for out of towners, its for locals who want to secure their desired itinerary and trip dates, and avoid a nearly unworkable itinerary. That said, with a little flexibility, luck, and research on how to go about getting a walk-in, you can still hike the WT and have lots of fun. Just might have one day that's 16 miles, and another day that's only 7 miles.

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostWed Mar 24, 2021 6:22 pm 
Brian R wrote:
Assumptions are a funny thing, Randito/RandyHiker/Tvashtarketena. Comprendes? As for camping without a permit, well, all I can say is go for a drive and look around. You won't have to travel very far, I'll bet. A local park? The library sidewalk? Rules are rules. Right? But good on you! I think it's great we still have hall monitors out there.
Not all Karens are women.

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostWed Mar 24, 2021 6:23 pm 
Randito wrote:
Pretty typical for the "inconvenience is oppression" crowd to equate their "outrage" at not being able to engage in their pleasure pursuit at the drop of a hat with the plight of people that have not the means for secure housing.
Why politicize the discussion, and play the race card?

reststep

reststep
PostWed Mar 24, 2021 7:35 pm 
I was just curious. I was wondering if anyone knows why Mt. Rainier National Park does not allow camping in cross country zones when hiking the Wonderland Trail.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostWed Mar 24, 2021 9:05 pm 
reststep wrote:
I was just curious. I was wondering if anyone knows why Mt. Rainier National Park does not allow camping in cross country zones when hiking the Wonderland Trail.
I believe it's to keep thru hikers to the established camps for impact, using available toilets and bear poles for food and concentrating tent impact to the established sites. Hundreds or thousands of people staying off trail over time would significantly impact the park, even if they were practicing LNT and following the rules.

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostWed Mar 24, 2021 9:10 pm 
reststep wrote:
I've done it quite a few times, never hiking the WT though, except for once, out of necessity due to a mishap. I agree with Willis Wall - it would get out of hand. Everyone who didn't get a permit, would want to camp in cross country zones. 30 years ago or even 20, it wasn't that big a deal. But now, with hordes of users with their cameras taking selfies for social media, converging on the park, and the WT trail, there's not way the meadows could handle the traffic without damage to the meadows.

soloscrambler