Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostThu Mar 04, 2021 4:42 pm 
I was out there the same day -- it was perfect weather. You describe the road well. Here are some photos from Wednesday. Was that your car at the Dingford trailhead?
Brilliant snow on Garfield today
Brilliant snow on Garfield today
The avalanche debris 1/4 mile before Dingford trailhead is looking really dirty now and was easy to drive over. No ruts are forming. A work party from Goldmyer partially dug this out last Saturday. It came down on 02/22.
The avalanche debris 1/4 mile before Dingford trailhead is looking really dirty now and was easy to drive over. No ruts are forming. A work party from Goldmyer partially dug this out last Saturday. It came down on 02/22.
There was a lot of snow at the Dingford trailhead. The left side under the trees was partially melted out
There was a lot of snow at the Dingford trailhead. The left side under the trees was partially melted out
Dingford trailhead gate
Dingford trailhead gate

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Mar 04, 2021 7:27 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
I was out there the same day -- it was perfect weather. You describe the road well. Here are some photos from Wednesday. Was that your car at the Dingford trailhead?
Haha... Yes, that was me. It was such a beautiful day. Your photos capture that bluebird sky we had and those striking, snow-covered peaks. When I arrived, I initially got stuck in the deeper snow a little. Luckily I had brought a shovel and it came in very handy. I always have an old Army surplus foxhole shovel, but this time I brought the standard garden variety. Good call. ~z

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Mar 09, 2021 8:35 pm 
Tiger mountain training loop. High school to Poo Poo Point trail, to One View Trail, to Hidden Forest, to Poo Top, to West Tigers 1,2,3 to WT3 trail, to Bus Trail, to Puget Power Trail to Issaquah viewpoint, to Issaquah city trails to old railroad grade, back to car, Stats 11.25 mi, 3, 350 gain, people seen less than a dozen until near the bottom running into Issaquah Cross Country team, wonderful to see them again after a year of quarantine wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif Ibuprofen on return 3, hot shower 1, beer 1, Irish coffee 0.5, wine 1 so far, result wonderful tongue.gif .

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
timberghost

timberghost
PostThu Mar 11, 2021 9:58 am 
Ibuprofane for?

RobertMBlevins

RobertMBlevins
PostThu Mar 11, 2021 11:30 pm 
Haven't posted much or been anywhere much due to the pandemic, but my lazy trip LAST year was up to Trap Pass in the Olympics. Road dead ends onto one of the most stunning views of the Olympics I've ever seen. Base camped there, and then did some off-trail boonie crashing toward the mountains in the picture. Stayed four days, had a lot of fun. More than 30 water bars in the road to Trap Pass, which starts along the Duckabush River road, but if you have the rig it's well worth the trip. Go summer or fall, otherwise it's snowmobile and snowshoes all the way. Seldom visited in winter, and not that many folks go there even in the summer, probably due to the water bars, which can become tiring. Two mountains close by for hiking, not the ones in the picture. They are farther away. A hundred feet past the dead end, wilderness area begins. (Only three posts in SIX years here? Man, I MUST be lazy!) 'Infamous Nissan' is just a website for Nissan owners where I hang out sometimes.
On the way up. Took an overnight break in a nice spot. As you can see, I'm old as dirt. smile.gif

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Mar 12, 2021 9:14 pm 
awilsondc wrote:
crater rim pano
crater rim pano
I really like this shot. I *think* I can see Mt Baker, way off in the distance, just barely visible above the horizon, to the left of Rainier. Can someone here confirm?

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
mosey

mosey
PostMon Mar 15, 2021 1:34 am 
I took a leisurely 3pm start, slightly peeved to find new No Parking signs along the paragliders secret, and packed a lunch to eat at sasquatch's sekrit streamside s-table. As usual it's quiet so I take my time. Right before regaining the road, I hear the paraglider truck and trailer drive by. By the time I reach the top of Poo ridge, it was 4:20pm. I stopped to take some pictures of the nice clouds and notice a brooding storm quickly sweeping northwest with some cool spiraling action and a single moment of lightning strobes deep inside its impenetrable rains. It also appears to be just slightly higher in elevation than me, as I can see it grazing rattlesnake before swallowing it whole in torrential downpours. Since then, I've learned this was a rare (for western WA) high altitude "anvil" thunderstorm. Read more about this atypical event on Cliff Mass' blog here Well, I'm already there and expected some paragliders at sunset, so I head to the lookout, passing the truck on its way down. Surely enough, they've launched. And then the storm sweeps right above me, as I retreat into the treeline. Hail, heavy rain, and a bit of wind ensue. But luckily, I appear to have chosen exactly the right spot to sit. The rain moves below into the hobart valley and south for several miles, but leaves the same parallel cloud cover seemingly a few hundred feet above me.
a pleasant picnic spot
a pleasant picnic spot
As I reach the recently clearcut southern edge of the ridge, the sun suddenly wanes
As I reach the recently clearcut southern edge of the ridge, the sun suddenly wanes
Hmm. A rather aggressive and brooding storm with a thunder flash is heading northwest rapidly from Ravensdale.
Hmm. A rather aggressive and brooding storm with a thunder flash is heading northwest rapidly from Ravensdale.
Heavy rains and occasional thunder strobes light up the arm of the impenetrable cloud rapidly approaching south tiger.
Heavy rains and occasional thunder strobes light up the arm of the impenetrable cloud rapidly approaching south tiger.
Surely they can see the storm?!
Surely they can see the storm?!
a brave paraglider above squak
a brave paraglider above squak
10 minutes later. Cougar mtn and the olympics are still sunny.
10 minutes later. Cougar mtn and the olympics are still sunny.
Sunny seattle
Sunny seattle
underexposure to show rain in hobart valley and south
underexposure to show rain in hobart valley and south
may valley
may valley
southeast launch
southeast launch
Rainbows? No but still cool
Rainbows? No but still cool

TheWanderingIndian

TheWanderingIndian
PostSat Mar 20, 2021 11:14 am 
Went and snowshoed around the preacher mountain area. Snow conditions were very slushy from 2000 feet up. At 3000 ft we got into some 3-4 deep slush, that you would sink into about up to the waist - even in snowshoes. Got 2.5 miles in before Turing around. Heading back for summit soon when conditions are better.
I love it out here....

mosey

mosey
PostSat Mar 20, 2021 12:54 pm 
Nice pano of garfield in the back of the snowshoeing pic. The upper lake is a very special place

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Mar 20, 2021 1:29 pm 
Nice collection of cloud effects, Mosey. I especially like this one:
may valley
may valley
Paragliding with lightning effects rolling in? Bet those guys were a little nervous!

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostSun Mar 21, 2021 8:16 am 
Nice effort on Preacher, TWI!
Quote:
Heading back for summit soon when conditions are better.
Sounds like you might be gunning for a winter summit but Preacher can be awesome in the summer too -- especially with a dip in Rainy Lake at the end. Good luck on your next try!

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.

Tom
TheWanderingIndian

TheWanderingIndian
PostSun Mar 21, 2021 11:04 am 
KascadeFlat wrote:
Nice effort on Preacher, TWI!
Quote:
Heading back for summit soon when conditions are better.
Sounds like you might be gunning for a winter summit but Preacher can be awesome in the summer too -- especially with a dip in Rainy Lake at the end. Good luck on your next try!
Yeah man I was really hoping for a winter ascent summit but it’s all good I might be heading back next weekend if conditions are right

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostSun Mar 21, 2021 4:36 pm 
TheWanderingIndian wrote:
Yeah man I was really hoping for a winter ascent summit but it’s all good I might be heading back next weekend if conditions are right
Preacher is lovely, but go on a clear day after a fresh snow dump for best views. The views from the summit are amazing, so it is worth waiting for a clear day. Me and Cookie went on March 11 and it was just lovely.
Also be careful with cornices on the summit, they are very large.

Cyclopath
BensonM

BensonM
PostThu Mar 25, 2021 9:25 am 
Long time reader, first time caller. Thanks for all the inspiration you NWHikers provide via TRs. On Mar 21, I ascended Moolock Mountain via Bessemer Road with my friend, Mark. Two weeks prior, Mark and I had made an attempt but were delayed on our ascent when we came across a pair of hikers, one of whom had broken tibia and fibula when crossing a drainage via very slippery slabs. They were lucky to have cell service and were able to get in touch with Seattle Mountain Rescue, who were on-scene in ~1 hour; an extraordinary speed to coordinate 6 people and gear and ascend the few miles to where we were located. In the meantime, we got our new friend dry(er), warm(er), comfortable(er), while addressing his pretty obvious shock. We continued up the mountain about 45m after SMR arrived, but turned back at ~3000 feet, with plans to try again in the near future. With unfinished business, we returned to Moolock and made a successful ascent through constant light snow. Sensational outing. Above 4000ft, the snow was deep and unconsolidated. Snowshoes were sinking 8-16"; postholes we sinking to the lowest diaphragm. The trail from the saddle between South Bessemer and Moolock is a delightful romp through tree corridors. At ~4200 feet, we jumped up to the standard route on the east ridge. The ridge was heavily corniced along its north (leeward) edge and winds were moderate-to-strong, with periods of heavy snow transport. We hit the summit, took some selfies, muttered about the nonexistent views, and unwound our ascent by following our tracks back downhill. We seemed to be the only people on the mountain that day. Total stats: 15 miles, 11 hours, 4300+ ft gain (including a couple hundred feet blown on misadventures). Popeyes chicken sandwiches capped the day.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Mar 25, 2021 10:26 am 
The laziest trip report ever. Samammish river.