Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports.
Previous :: Next Topic  
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat

PostSun Mar 21, 2021 8:16 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Nice effort on Preacher, TWI!

Quote:
Heading back for summit soon when conditions are better.

Sounds like you might be gunning for a winter summit but Preacher can be awesome in the summer too -- especially with a dip in Rainy Lake at the end. Good luck on your next try!

--------------
For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
TheWanderingIndian

TheWanderingIndian

PostSun Mar 21, 2021 11:04 am 
KascadeFlat wrote:
Nice effort on Preacher, TWI!

Quote:
Heading back for summit soon when conditions are better.

Sounds like you might be gunning for a winter summit but Preacher can be awesome in the summer too -- especially with a dip in Rainy Lake at the end. Good luck on your next try!

Yeah man I was really hoping for a winter ascent summit but itís all good I might be heading back next weekend if conditions are right
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya

Fortune Cookie
PostSun Mar 21, 2021 4:36 pm 
TheWanderingIndian wrote:
Yeah man I was really hoping for a winter ascent summit but itís all good I might be heading back next weekend if conditions are right

Preacher is lovely, but go on a clear day after a fresh snow dump for best views. The views from the summit are amazing, so it is worth waiting for a clear day. Me and Cookie went on March 11 and it was just lovely.

Also be careful with cornices on the summit, they are very large.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
BensonM

BensonM

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 9:25 am 
Long time reader, first time caller. Thanks for all the inspiration you NWHikers provide via TRs.

On Mar 21, I ascended Moolock Mountain via Bessemer Road with my friend, Mark. Two weeks prior, Mark and I had made an attempt but were delayed on our ascent when we came across a pair of hikers, one of whom had broken tibia and fibula when crossing a drainage via very slippery slabs. They were lucky to have cell service and were able to get in touch with Seattle Mountain Rescue, who were on-scene in ~1 hour; an extraordinary speed to coordinate 6 people and gear and ascend the few miles to where we were located. In the meantime, we got our new friend dry(er), warm(er), comfortable(er), while addressing his pretty obvious shock. We continued up the mountain about 45m after SMR arrived, but turned back at ~3000 feet, with plans to try again in the near future.

With unfinished business, we returned to Moolock and made a successful ascent through constant light snow. Sensational outing. Above 4000ft, the snow was deep and unconsolidated. Snowshoes were sinking 8-16"; postholes we sinking to the lowest diaphragm. The trail from the saddle between South Bessemer and Moolock is a delightful romp through tree corridors. At ~4200 feet, we jumped up to the standard route on the east ridge. The ridge was heavily corniced along its north (leeward) edge and winds were moderate-to-strong, with periods of heavy snow transport. We hit the summit, took some selfies, muttered about the nonexistent views, and unwound our ascent by following our tracks back downhill. We seemed to be the only people on the mountain that day. Total stats: 15 miles, 11 hours, 4300+ ft gain (including a couple hundred feet blown on misadventures). Popeyes chicken sandwiches capped the day.

Slugman
Itís a Slugfest!

Slugman

Itís a Slugfest!
PostThu Mar 25, 2021 10:26 am 
The laziest trip report ever. Samammish river.

--------------
ďThe jerking motion of a knee does not reflect the operation of a mindĒ  Slugman, January 24th 2020
babylero

babylero

PostMon Mar 29, 2021 11:00 am 
Overnight to the Enchanted Valley. One of the most beautiful river hike's I've done, but man the blowdowns, never seen so many giant fir trunks in my life.

View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 3:42 pm 
Spent a few days in Bend. Having first skied Mt. Bachelor 50 years ago, it remains my favorite for its views and terrain.  It was easy to get almost 2400' of elevation gain (multiple times) on the NW Express Chairlift.  The liftline is visible in the center as well as frozen Sparks Lake.  The Summit Chair was only worth one run on this day, as it was icy and windy on top.  Multiple opportunities for refreshments in Bend.  drink.gif

NW Chair
NW Chair
Oregon Beauties
Oregon Beauties

--------------
"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go."
(Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart)

"Sometimes you're happy.  Sometimes you cry.
Half of me is ocean.  Half of me is sky."
(Thanks, Tom Petty)