Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Mar 29, 2021 9:34 pm 
Riverside Laker wrote:
Here's an interesting report that our son-in-law did on the Elwha dams: https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/f0b02cf07a13491fbb9bc816e54b1180
I really enjoyed that. Thanks for posting it.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Luc

Luc
PostMon Mar 29, 2021 10:24 pm 
Thanks for posting. I was fortunate to be able to help work on that video piece, among others that McMillan is a part of. I haven't met him but all b-side footage depicts him as you describe. Very compassionate and real about conservation. Maybe next up is Klamath removal?

GNGSTR
RodF

RodF
PostThu Apr 01, 2021 3:27 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
I always wondered why a 2nd dam was built. Was it just to increase power-generating capacity?
Yes, primarily to power the new and growing paper plant in Port Angeles, but also its entire service area which extended as far as the Navy shipyard in Bremerton. Glines Canyon is also a much better site for a then-new concrete arch dam design, which cost less than massive gravity dams such as the (lower) Elwha Dam. For more, see pp. 101-106 of this excellent history: An Interpretive History of the Elwha River Valley and the Legacy of Hydropower on Washington’s Olympic Peninsula.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Apr 01, 2021 5:37 pm 
Thanks for that reference, Rod. When I was still a pretty fresh arrival in the PNW, I took a drive up there after one of my first trips to the beaches. I hadn't done much reading ahead about the peninsula, so it was quite a shock to come up on the first dam. "What the heck is that doing here??" It was like encountering an intrusion from Mordor while on a picnic in the Shire.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
RodF

RodF
PostSat Apr 03, 2021 5:04 pm 
The federal government established Olympic National Park long after the peninsula had been settled. The original 634,000 acres set aside as the park in 1938 surrounded approximately 1,250 privately owned tracts. Many were homestead farms dating back to the 1890s. Additions to the Park in 1940 through 1974 doubled the number of privately owned parcels within the Park to about 2,500. Today, approximately 220 private parcels remain within the Park. - "American Eden: An Administrative History Of Olympic National Park", by Hal K. Rothman, National Park Service, 2006. The history of Olympic NP is more similar to Great Smoky Mountains NP than to true wilderness NPs such as Yellowstone or Glacier. First, thousands of native Americans were displaced by Federal policy, then over a thousand settlers were displaced by a later reversal in Federal policy, so visitors today may imagine the Park was created of primeval wilderness devoid of human history.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva