Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > BLM seeks public comment on E-bike usage.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ree

ree
PostSun Apr 05, 2020 5:35 pm 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Apr 05, 2020 5:54 pm 
Quote:
As a remedy, the proposed rule would amend the BLM’s current off-road vehicle regulations to add a definition for e-bikes, compatible with Secretarial Order 3376, Increasing Recreational Opportunities through the use of Electric Bikes. This proposed change would then give local BLM land managers the authority to use that definition to conduct their own lawful decisions on whether e-bikes may be operated on public lands in their jurisdictions. In addition, the proposed rule would direct the entire BLM to specifically address e-bike usage in future land-use or implementation-level decisions. Public lands designated by Congress as “wilderness areas” will remain off-limits to both traditional bicycles and e-bikes. Also, e-bikes would not be given special access beyond what traditional, non-motorized bicycles are allowed.
up.gif up.gif It seems most trails on BLM land are already motorized / eMTB legal but if not there will be a lot of resistance. https://www.evergreenmtb.org/blog/updates-on-e-mtb-access-advocacy-in-washington

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Apr 05, 2020 6:40 pm 
Sorry, I'm confused. Maybe I need to read more? Links to some intelligent pro/con? (I do not own a bicycle, E or otherwise. I just want as many users on trails as is possible with a minimum of user conflict.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Apr 06, 2020 6:51 pm 
Seems reasonable to me. Edit to add: I shared this with a bunch of road cyclists. I encouraged people to comment whether they agree or not, but I made a case that eBikes are replacing some car trips, people are more likely to invest in one the more use they can get out of it (recreation and exercise, not just utility) and that fewer cars on the road and more bikes makes all of us safer. It still pisses me off that my FTP is 1/4 what they consider a small amount of power. rant.gif

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Apr 07, 2020 8:40 pm 
I'm still trying to ride mine at 35mph up a steep trail. biggrin.gif So far, I've gotten it up to 22mph on a downhill stretch of paved road. I've gone faster on my acoustic bike.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostFri Apr 02, 2021 7:55 am 
e-bikes no longer classified as motor vehicles on public lands. https://electricbikeaction.com/amp/e-bikes-no-longer-defined-as-motor-vehicles/ Maybe this is old news ....
Quote:
• Electric bicycles are no longer defined as motor vehicles or off-road vehicles but are properly defined within three classes. • Electric bicycle riders have similar rights, privileges and duties as traditional bicycle riders. • Local land managers can authorize some or all classes of electric bicycles on roads, paths and trails where bicycles are allowed. • Local land managers maintain significant control, in partnership with the public, to make access decisions.

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostFri Apr 02, 2021 8:24 am 
Slim wrote:
e-bikes no longer classified as motor vehicles on public lands.
Note that this would NOT include lands managed by the USFS, which is not in the Interior Dept. The Dept of Ag often follows DOI lead, but not always. Be worth checking on...

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Apr 05, 2021 10:46 pm 
That's dumb: a vehicle propelled by a motor isn't a motor vehicle. I don't have a problem with eBikes being allowed in most places normal bikes are.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Apr 07, 2021 12:03 am 
Once you go motorized, yarnt competing anymore.