Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
Previous :: Next Topic  
neek

neek

PostSat Apr 03, 2021 5:26 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Exercised: Why Something We Never Evolved to Do Is Healthy and Rewarding by Daniel Lieberman.  I'm only halfway through but am liking it enough to recommend to folks here.  Written by the evolutionary biologist who wrote the original "Born to Run" academic paper, I think he should have titled this one "Born to walk and carry stuff: why you hate to exercise," but I was not consulted prior to publication.  Each chapter dispels or rather elaborates on the nuance of popular beliefs such as "sitting is bad", "you need 8 hours of sleep", and "just do it".  Writing style is fun and engaging, without jargon or condescension.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr

aka friendly hiker
PostSat Apr 03, 2021 9:32 pm 
neek wrote:
Exercised: Why Something We Never Evolved to Do Is Healthy and Rewarding[/url] by Daniel Lieberman.

Ha!  You're ahead of me.  I've had that on HOLD at the SPL for quite awhile.  Still only number 111 on 28 copies right now.  This one is hot.  Great to hear it's a good read.  ~z
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Sculpin

Sculpin

PostSun Apr 04, 2021 8:16 am 
Because we evolved from chimpanzee-like apes, our early ancestors must have been relatively inactive as well."

Hmmm.   rolleyes.gif

These evolutionary "just so" stories used to be quite common.  But there is no good reason to believe any of it.  Evolution is really messy!

As a counterpoint to this sort of evolutionary storytelling, I recommend Oliver Sacks "Island of the Colorblind."  Evolution cannot be reverse-engineered by storytelling, but it can be better understood with facts (and certainly with genetics).

--------------
Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr

aka friendly hiker
PostSun Apr 04, 2021 11:02 am 
neek wrote:
Good discussion for another thread perhaps, as I don't want to derail this long-standing one.

Yes.  Please and Thank you.  wink.gif    ~z
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 7:33 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
I'm on another losing streak with books.  Currently attempting "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak.  I thought very highly of the movie adaptation.  The jury is out on the book.  I'm about 100 pages in.  It's very episodic.  There is basically no plot to speak of, at least not so far.  Considering I'm about 1/4 of the way thru, I expected it to start moving in some direction by now.

Well, after 130 or 140 pages I pulled the plug.  Story was going absolutely nowhere still.  Prose and characters weren't interesting enough to keep plugging away.

Finally got my hands on something that I'm enjoying.  "Radiant Angel" by Nelson DeMille.  I've read several of his books, hadn't thought about him in years.  A couple stand alone, and a couple with the recurring character John Corey (like this one).  He's not quite Jack Reacher, but a kind of in the same vein.  Tough guy, good cop/investigator who has issues w/ authority and sometimes doesn't play well with others, but gets the job done and thwarts the ne'er do wells.

In this one he's in what's supposed to be a low key government job, tailing diplomats and keeping tabs on them.  A Russian who is not a diplomat at all, previously a high ranking official w/ the rebranded KGB, is in NYC and looking to do some very bad things.