Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > out of stock
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Apr 05, 2021 12:39 am 
Went to buy some cheap 2x4s for a project - Don't need the nice ones, just the yucky cheap ones will do. Usually a couple bucks a piece. Walked down the lumber aisle past the $6.25/ea boards and didn't see anything else so asked one of the employees where the cheap 2x4s are. He pointed me back down the aisle I'd just come up. "You mean the $6.25 ones?" I asked, incredulously. "Those are as cheap as they get" he said.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Apr 05, 2021 6:57 am 
Yeah, I needed a couple sawhorses for painting and it was cheaper to buy folding ones from China than 2x4s to build ones.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Apr 05, 2021 7:02 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
"You mean the $6.25 ones?" I asked, incredulously. "Those are as cheap as they get" he said.
You better buy them now because when those are gone the next supply will be $12 each

neek

neek
PostTue Apr 27, 2021 5:06 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Everyone has been remodeling during the pandemic and lumber demand has increased by 30 percent rather than dropping in half as they predicted. Lumber prices have increased from $350 to $1050 per thousand board feet and I have a neighbor that cancelled his new home construction because the estimate almost doubled.
There are supply issues as well. Don't expect it to get better any time soon. Why Dead Trees Are ‘the Hottest Commodity on the Planet’: Blame climate change, wildfires, hungry beetles … and Millennial home buyers.

neek

neek
PostMon Jun 21, 2021 5:41 am 
Hmm well that didn't take long As Lumber Prices Fall, the Threat of Inflation Loses Its Bite (NYT) (free version for non-subscribers)

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostMon Jun 21, 2021 6:45 am 
all this talk of lumber prices high because the sawmills have shut down. a local mill I worked years ago shut for a short time but if you drive by their yards you will see stacks of cut and packaged lumber and the local train pulls cars full of lumber every day. so I dont understand where there is a shortage, cause we have tons of it here

Gregory

Gregory
PostTue Jun 22, 2021 11:48 am 
Skip to 13:31 for the market discussion. As a builder I have been following this closely.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Jun 22, 2021 12:28 pm 
This remains an issue cause all these boats are losing control and slamming into various docks!!

Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostSat Jun 26, 2021 4:02 pm 
neek wrote:
As Lumber Prices Fall, the Threat of Inflation Loses Its Bite (NYT)
That may be true for lumber, but I'm not so sure runaway inflation in existing home sales or land will cool any time soon.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Jun 27, 2021 6:32 pm 
It seems that there might some light at the end of the pandemic tunnel.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostTue Sep 21, 2021 7:41 am 
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostTue Sep 21, 2021 6:46 pm 
adding to the dilemma is the story now circulating that toys may be in short supply this christmas due to a shipping problem

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Sep 21, 2021 7:21 pm 
^^^^ One thing not emphasized enough in that Yahoo story about the pileup of queued freighters is the labor shortage - truck drivers for sure, but likely also longshoremen. FedEx no-showed on me 2 days straight last July for a pickup of a single, 1500 lb pallet from a private residence; we needed a small(er) freight truck with a lift gate and pallet jack. We were panicking at that point b/c the pallet had to be out of the driveway (a biz shipment) before movers came that week for household items. FedEx's call center gave no indication at the time of request that there might be a problem. I even asked how many days notice they needed, and the call center said morning of the same day (!) I ended up having comms with their local terminal dispatcher who pulled a guy off his regular 18 wheeler gig to come and get our stuff. The guy told me they had a real shortage of drivers. The only thing I've experienced a personal shortage of lately is shittake mushrooms. Very spotty to non-existent in all stores. Even Costco didn't have 'em today. Assuming all these supply chain problems are directly or indirectly related to covid, maybe a good way to finish off the year would be to stick to essential purchases and plan special "experiences" with kids & family instead of buying more stuff, especially at the holidays.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Sep 21, 2021 7:56 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
The only thing I've experienced a personal shortage of lately is shittake mushrooms. Very spotty to non-existent in all stores. Even Costco didn't have 'em today.
We have a local mushroom grower who comes to the Sunday Farmers Market in West Seattle. His produce looks like quality. I haven't checked specifically for Shitakes but he always seems to have good business. Next time I go, I'll look. Have you tried your local Farmers Market? ~z

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Sep 21, 2021 8:56 pm 
I haven't - good idea. I've not been to the Ballard one all summer, but there was a 'shoom seller there last year.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood