Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mnt Wow 4/7/21
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostWed Apr 07, 2021 8:33 am 
This route was a new trip for me. I have done this peak in the summer from the West side road. Definitely worth a return trip. This was the Goat creek approach. 3 miles past Ashford, you take the dirt road on the left and park in about a mile in front of the huge washout. Hike 2 miles to the big shooting area and take the right fork heading east towards Goat creek. The snow coverage on the road was complete here...maybe a foot or so. In the morning it was hard enough for boots, but the occasional pop through prompted me to put on snowshoes. In 1.5 miles, the road crosses Goat creek. Here I left the road and followed the open areas right next to the creek heading upstream...very scenic with sun, shadows and shimmering creek pools. In a shy 1/4 mile from leaving the road I cross a small stream on the right side of Goat creek and head up the drainage, keeping to the left of the stream coming out of the drainage. Its a subtle drainage and small stream so you have to be on your toes. Now its just plain up. The route slowly gets defined more as a nice shoulder, then ridge ( easy to follow ). Starting about 3600ft, the snowshoes came off and my heavy clunky boots were perfect for step kicking all the way to softer more open terrain at 5300ft.( snowshoes on now ) At 5700ft you reach a nice knob to see the summit ahead. Not too steep. On the the south summit I could see the skinny ridge leading to the other summit( 5921). With the snow on it I decided to stay at this point. I wandered a bit to get a better view of the cornices and surrounding area. I saw some nice cat tracks on the road and the usual elk/deer tracks as well.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostWed Apr 07, 2021 9:51 am 
flatsqwerl wrote:
Mount Wow is the opposite in name to Mount Horrible ( in the Blue Mountains of S.E Washington). Wow is always 'wow'on a day like you enjoyed, and its counterpart isn't really that horrible on a good day either. Getting off topic, but if you seek Mount Horrible, why not visit Mt. Misery while in the Blues? Both are short hikes from roads. Long drive from most of Washington but hopefully you'll have a not horrible time with no misery.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
babylero

babylero
PostMon Apr 12, 2021 4:32 pm 
Nice, I'm thinking of heading up there this weekend. How is the approach in terms of avy risk? I'm assuming you'd want crampons and an Ice axe.

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostMon Apr 12, 2021 4:47 pm 
The risk was minimized by staying in the trees except a small amount of open area on smaller slopes. I had my ax out once briefly. I used no crampons because I have monster heavy snow kicking boots. With softer, lighter boots, crampons could be very useful in the long steep shaded area going straight up through the woods. If its really warm in the sun on the open upper slopes, there will be some avy risk...but those areas are short. It was great weather when I did it but not very warm.

babylero

babylero
PostMon Apr 12, 2021 6:41 pm 
Do you have a GPS track or map with your route? Your route seems different than a few other's I've seen I'm curious about the drainage you ascended

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostMon Apr 12, 2021 7:33 pm 
A number of GPS tracks of the Goat Creek route including Greg's can be found here: Mt. Wow on PB

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostMon Apr 12, 2021 7:42 pm 
Babylero, I don't use GPS yet, just map and compass. I edited my post slightly so its hopefully clearer in regards to the small stream and drainage used shortly after leaving the road at the Goat creek crossing.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Apr 12, 2021 8:13 pm 
flatsqwerl wrote:
Babylero, I don't use GPS yet, just map and compass.
I went up the Goat Creek drainage for my approach to Mount Wow. It may be easier to follow the Boundary Trail as your approach because you are on a trail. Others have used this for a successful endeavor. https://www.summitpost.org/boundary-trail/165260 Here is a report done at this time of year. https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/tripreport-2004041706

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostMon Apr 12, 2021 8:16 pm 
Mike, that looks interesting. Might have to try that.

babylero

babylero
PostThu Apr 15, 2021 6:46 pm 
Mike Collins wrote:
I went up the Goat Creek drainage for my approach to Mount Wow. It may be easier to follow the Boundary Trail as your approach because you are on a trail. Others have used this for a successful endeavor. https://www.summitpost.org/boundary-trail/165260 Here is a report done at this time of year. https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/tripreport-2004041706
I'm planning on checking it out, seems straight forward, only the start sounds like it requires some bushwhacking and creek avoidance.