Forum Index > Trail Talk > Driving to Mt Adams
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostTue Apr 06, 2021 5:57 am 
Hello. I am thinking about doing Adams this year and was needing some info on getting there. I will be coming from Seattle and doing the climb in July. What is the fastest route there? Is it faster to drive hwy 12 to Randle then come down or to hwy 14, over and back up? Thanks

none
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostTue Apr 06, 2021 6:18 am 
I think this depends on how fast you are willing to drive on dirt roads. Last time I took Hwy 12 there and 14 back. The former was slightly faster because I drive pretty fast on rough roads, but the latter was much more pleasant. Don't forget to grab a permit in Trout Lake.

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostTue Apr 06, 2021 8:10 am 
I've driven from Issaquah to Cold Springs three different ways. Back roads is a shorter distance, but it's no faster than the freeway route, and a lot harder on your car.

If not now, when?
Hutch

Hutch
PostTue Apr 06, 2021 9:02 am 
I think it's about a coin flip on time, just depends what kind of drive you want. NF23 wasn't in terrible shape as of last summer, but you're still only making 30mph on windy, potholed gravel road for 20-30 miles. The South Route has some last minute food options in Trout Lake.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Apr 06, 2021 1:02 pm 
FWIW: In pre-gps days I spent many hours misnavigating between Packwood and Trout Lake -- vainly trying to find a way through when the main road was blocked by downed trees. The last time I summitted -- I went from Bellevue through Yakima in order to pick up my nephew who lives there -- that route is very similar driving time compared to the I-5/I-84 route as it is generally nothing compariable to the Tacoma and Portland traffic snarls. Also in terms of logistics -- going via FS23 doesn't save you from dropping down to Trout Lake as that is where you need to pick up your "Cascades Volcano Pass" permit and human waste "blue bag" -- Supposedly the one can purchase said passes online and bring your own poop bag -- but the permit purchase site seems to be broken.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostTue Apr 06, 2021 2:55 pm 
Hutch wrote:
The South Route has some last minute food options in Trout Lake.
And I don't recall the name of the place, but it's a small house/restaurant, and the food/prices are very good. And with picnic tables out in the yard. Quite "homey". 👍👍

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Apr 06, 2021 4:02 pm 
moonspots wrote:
And I don't recall the name of the place, but it's a small house/restaurant, and the food/prices are very good. And with picnic tables out in the yard. Quite "homey". 👍👍
Also don't recall the name, but in season huckleberry milkshakes--yum!!

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostTue Apr 06, 2021 4:31 pm 
Bear Creek Cafe is the one at the 141/Mt. Adams Rd. intersection with the huckleberry shakes & pancakes and outside picnic tables. When the weather is nice, they fire up a wood fired pizza oven and sometimes have music out on the lawn. Another place to try in Trout Lake is the Trout Lake Country Inn - been there once for dinner and it was really good. Definitely more upscale than the burgers at Bear Creek.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Apr 06, 2021 11:53 pm 
For a true drive to Adam's, you really gotta go Randle south. Get in deep in to the DARK divide and feel the dark vibes. Several dead end roads down dark obscure roads late at night!! Getting lost!!! People campin in the ditch, big roadside bonfires!!! GPS often don't work up in these roads. Yet it remains the premier way to approach Adams!

fyodorova

fyodorova
PostWed Apr 07, 2021 10:47 am 
Quote:
For a true drive to Adam's, you really gotta go Randle south. Get in deep in to the DARK divide and feel the dark vibes.
As a person who is normally skeptical of woo, I have to agree with the part about the dark vibes. The Gifford Pinchot in the area roughly between St Helens and Adams has a certain feeling of deep dark vibrations. Maybe it's because of the big lava flows and deep river valleys. Anyone else notice this?

yorknl

yorknl
PostWed Apr 07, 2021 11:58 am 
Respectfully disagree. The True Way to Adams is via Enumclaw and Cayuse Pass to Packwood, the 21 road south, east a bit on the road toward Walupt Lake, south a little bit on 56, and then up 2329 to Midway, Muddy Meadows, Killen Creek and Takhlakh Lake. Sure, it may not put you anywhere near the south climb, but it's a lovely drive and even a rough track like 2329 is more fun than 7 or (horrors) 161 to Elbe and on to Morton and Randle.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Apr 07, 2021 1:11 pm 
fyodorova wrote:
As a person who is normally skeptical of woo, I have to agree with the part about the dark vibes. The Gifford Pinchot in the area roughly between St Helens and Adams has a certain feeling of deep dark vibrations. Maybe it's because of the big lava flows and deep river valleys. Anyone else notice this?
I've had similar feelings in other places. Exit 38 is a shadowy realm. Omak is a beautiful town but full of cannibals.

Dustin Trails

Dustin Trails
PostThu Apr 08, 2021 9:08 am 
This conversation has taken a turn for the best. One more vote for the dark divide! Although in recent years I am generally coming from Ashford so it makes the most sense to go through the forest. Bring a book and a favorite intoxicant for a break along the way. At this point you have abandoned the safety of the interstate highway system, so please do exercise some caution. Fuel up before you embark and try not to crash your camper van hitting an unmarked dip.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Apr 08, 2021 10:16 am 
Dark Divide is named for a prospector named John Dark. It’s actually quite well-lit. cool.gif

Carbonj

Carbonj
PostThu Apr 08, 2021 7:47 pm 
A ex girl friend in packwood calls it the big bottom valley, in deference to her, I would call it perfect bottom valley.