Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
stever

stever
PostFri Apr 09, 2021 6:39 am 
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Apr 09, 2021 8:52 am 
As will Rocky Mountain NP and perhaps others as well. I suspect Mt Rainier will follow.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Apr 09, 2021 10:01 am 
Schroder wrote:
As will Rocky Mountain NP and perhaps others as well. I suspect Mt Rainier will follow.
Seems like a necessary development for Mt Rainier, last year there were large backups at the Ashford entrance when they were limiting entry until earlier folks had left Paradise freeing up parking spots. A reservation entry system will help avoid folks being skunked because full parking lots all day.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Apr 09, 2021 4:19 pm 
Should be a shuttle too. And bike rentals.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Apr 09, 2021 7:17 pm 
I can understand it, but sounds like many National Parks won't be worth the effort of trying to visit. Along w/ Central Oregon Cascades, Enchantments, etc. Hopefully there are some places you can still roll out of bed in the morning and randomly decide to visit that day. And you kids get off my lawn! moon.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Apr 10, 2021 5:01 pm 
No reservation required at Glacier if you: arrive on foot or bike (so that includes anyone going on Amtrak); arrive before 6 am or after 5 pm. This could work for people with lodging near but not in the park; if you have a lodge room, backpacking permit or any other service reservation within the park. Amtrak is the way to go IMO since you travel at night both coming and going, but it doesn’t work without the shuttle service Glacier usually has. “Day-use visitors who arrive by private vehicle or motorcycle and enter the West and St, Mary Entrances, or via the Camas Road, between 6 am and 5 pm MST must have an Entry Reservation Ticket. Entry Reservation Tickets are valid for seven consecutive days per vehicle. They may be used anytime within that seven day period. Visitors arriving on foot or bicycle do not require a day-use Entry Reservation Ticket. Day-use reservations are included with any overnight lodging and service reservations along the Going-to-the-Sun Road corridor between the West and St. Mary Entrance Stations. This includes visitors with overnight accommodations, including Village Inn, Lake McDonald Lodge, Rising Sun Motor Inn, Granite Park and Sperry Chalets, Fish Creek Campground, or in-park private lodging, and visitors with reservations for wilderness camping, boat rides, guided hikes, horseback rides, or bus tours offered between the West and St. Mary Entrances of the park. An Entry Reservation Ticket for the day is included in your service reservation. The included entry reservation applies only to the dates of your service reservation. Proof of a service reservation (e.g., lodging, tours, etc.) is required and will serve as your Entry Reservation Ticket.” https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/gtsrticketedentry.htm

jaysway

jaysway
PostSat Apr 10, 2021 5:41 pm 
This is tough. I agree that reservations at these places are the way to go for managing visitation, but it does get difficult picturing more and more places requiring reservations. Much hiking in our corner of the country is outside of national parks, but more reservations are popping up in forest service land. The Enchantments is the big one of course, but the Central Cascades Wilderness Permit System requires advance permits for all overnight use in the Mount Jefferson, Mount Washington, and Three Sisters wilderness areas, and also requires advance permits for day hikes originating from the more popular trailheads. Again, I can't argue against these, overuse is a real and troublesome issue. I purposefully did four backpacking trips last summer to places in these wilderness areas because I knew they could start requiring permits starting this year. Boy am I happy that I got to see Jefferson Park before the fires! I wouldn't be surprised in the future to see quota systems for other places within the Alpine Lakes Wilderness, and could easily picture permits becoming required in parts of the Olympic National Forest and Glacier Peak Wilderness in the future.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSat Apr 10, 2021 8:18 pm 
Wow. I feel fortunate to have spent a lot of time there (cumulative 6 months) back in the day, 1980's and 1990's, before the front country traffic really built up. Great place for off trail alpine backpacking and mountaineering. Haven't been there since 2000 when the tour helicopters (supported by NPS honchos) settled in.

Off trail rambler