Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What music have you been listening to today?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Apr 07, 2021 4:58 pm 
I had to go find this song, because I recently heard a version done by Crosby, Stills and Nash, and their rendition falls flat. It's slow, somber, almost gloomy. Apparently Nilsson isn't the original artist, but it's the well known version. FYI the band Tonic did a nice cover of it for the late 90's movie Clay Pigeons, like it much more than the CSN cover.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostFri Apr 09, 2021 7:26 pm 

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSat Apr 10, 2021 8:39 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Apparently Nilsson isn't the original artist, but it's the well known version.
Right, Fred Neil wrote that one, Nilsson just provided the pipes. But Harry Nilsson was also a superb songwriter! My favorite is "Don't Forget Me," produced by John Lennon, who was a big admirer of Nilsson. I can't imagine a sadder song. After the refrains, the string (violin?) notes are slurred into each other, giving the impression that the singer is going insane with grief. I have never seen a live version of this one. There are live versions of Neko Case doing the same song, and her version is excellent as well.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Apr 10, 2021 1:32 pm 
up.gif Thanks Sculpin. I saw Neko Case fairly early in career, before she really took off. Pretty sure it was at the Tractor, long time ago, memory is getting fuzzy.

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSat Apr 10, 2021 6:59 pm 
Fair warning, you may just hate what some would consider a cloying song. hurl.gif But then again, (Think Foster the People) you might just find yourself listening/watching (Oh, that smile) again and again and dancing like this alone in your room! eek.gif mum.gif hairy.gif up.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Apr 13, 2021 2:26 pm 
Kiko Loureiro, the Brazilian phenom, is Megadeth's newest guitarist. In 2020 he put out a solo instrumental album, Source Control, which, for anyone who loves instrumental guitar, is incredible. Here are a couple of my favorites from the album (although I could have picked any number of others):

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostFri Apr 16, 2021 9:05 am 
A fun trivia question: Which famous musicians first became known as vocalists, and later were recognized as accomplished songwriters? Not Elvis, he never wrote a song. Not Bob Dylan, he most likely would not have made it purely as a vocalist. And not Willie Nelson, he went the other way, making a living as a songwriter before he became known as a performer. But Harry Nilsson is on that list. So is Grace Slick, she wrote "Go Ask Alice" after becoming famous for fronting Jefferson Airplane.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostFri Apr 16, 2021 11:53 am 
Sculpin wrote:
Which famous musicians first became known as vocalists, and later were recognized as accomplished songwriters?
Neil Diamond

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Apr 21, 2021 10:19 pm 
Evanescence dropped a new album last month, I've been streaming it on Hoopla. Sounds good to me. Seemed to have recaptured their sound from their debut album, while still being fresh. Turn it up loud or don't bother listening to it!

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Apr 22, 2021 9:12 am 
Canadian surf rock from Montreal. Hottest band in the area in the early 1960s:

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSat Apr 24, 2021 3:37 pm 
Here's a couple of unknown rockers that just might have some success in the musical field, prefaced with the classic question... uhh.gif

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Apr 28, 2021 10:57 pm 
Watched a French movie, that featured several English language songs. One of them, I was certain I recognized the voice, but I just couldn't place it. Impatiently waited thru the credits to see it was London Grammar. Several of their songs (that's a band name, not a person) pop up on one or two of my Pandora stations. I looked up that particular song on You Tube, then listened to several more. I didn't quite realize how much I like some of their music. They have a recent new album out, this is from one of their earlier records.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue May 04, 2021 8:55 pm 

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostSat May 08, 2021 9:50 am 
Remco Hendriks sounds kinda like the new les Claypool to me but less weird and more groovy. Needs a band and some vocals

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun May 09, 2021 12:36 pm 
That's a pretty neat sample, Michael. Neat looking bass. How anyone plays "fretless" anything (including violins) amazes me. Guess it gets hardwired into your muscle memory. Meanwhile, over in the "where did you retire" thread, someone mentioned Michigan and I was reminded of this novelty group "Da Yoopers" from Ishpeming. A friend from Birmingham gave me a tape years ago. Lotsa "differences" between the U.P. and downstate. Thought it would be better to post here than in that thread:

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood