Forum Index > Trail Talk > Kachess campground during winter
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
bertman

bertman
PostTue Feb 09, 2021 12:15 pm 
Has anyone snowshoed to Kachess campground recently? I wanted to do an overnight on Friday. It's looking to be freezing cold so I wanted go to a non-backcountry location with a short hike in. I know the campground is closed but I figured I could pitch a tent in the snow. Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Feb 09, 2021 12:28 pm 
You'll need a sno-aprk permit to park at the Kachess sno-park https://www.parks.state.wa.us/DocumentCenter/View/147/Kachess-PDF?bidId= You'll also need to dodge the snowmobiles while hiking the road to the campground road cut off. I suspect that snowmobiles also razz around the campground loops and on the lake bed exposed by the winter draw down -- at least during the day. Should be a bit quieter at night, but I would choose a tent site surrounded by trees so your snow covered tent in the morning doesn't look like a good "jump" to razzers. I would also think about some sort of reflectors to hang on the tent or off of treking poles placed around the tent.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSat Apr 03, 2021 8:57 pm 
Knew a guy lost his 'bile avoiding tents in a campground. Came zippin around a corner, had to swerve to avoid a tent, lost his 'bile.

DadFly

DadFly
PostSat Apr 10, 2021 9:28 am 
I know this is too late but for future reference... I did exactly that a few times over the last several years. All pre-pandemic. It is a nice trip imo.. The snowmobiles do cruise by occasionally but their goal seems to be to get to the higher areas. So they are just passing through. The cabins up about 1/2 mile are where a lot of people base camp and ride out in the day. There are always tracks on the edge of the lake but I have not actually seen a snowmobiler there. I have always camped on the point. It is windy but the view is great!

"May you live in interesting times"