Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
babylero

babylero
PostMon Mar 29, 2021 11:00 am 
Overnight to the Enchanted Valley. One of the most beautiful river hike's I've done, but man the blowdowns, never seen so many giant fir trunks in my life.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSat Apr 10, 2021 3:42 pm 
Spent a few days in Bend. Having first skied Mt. Bachelor 50 years ago, it remains my favorite for its views and terrain. It was easy to get almost 2400' of elevation gain (multiple times) on the NW Express Chairlift. The liftline is visible in the center as well as frozen Sparks Lake. The Summit Chair was only worth one run on this day, as it was icy and windy on top. Multiple opportunities for refreshments in Bend. drink.gif
NW Chair
NW Chair
Oregon Beauties
Oregon Beauties

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostSun Apr 11, 2021 7:47 pm 
Everyone has been picking up Homecourt peaks lately so we decided to join the fun. Headed up Pratt Mountain in perfect weather. We started at the Pratt Lake TH and the snowshoes went on after we crossed the Olallie outlet at 3800 feet. Then it was up, up, up the ridge! Thankfully a blessed angel had gone before us and broken trail. angel.gif The snow conditions were excellent and the ridge hike was a sublime delight. We were able to march right over the boulder at 4600 feet and shortly made the summit. There was one other party there who had come up from the Talapus trailhead. Good to see all routes represented! We hung out and ate lunch before descending. Surprisingly, the snow held up and didn't give us too much trouble. We were able to descend in snowshoes all the way back to the outlet. 10/10 would go again! Kaleetan and Pratt:
The bump at 4600:
Ridge lyfe:
From the summit:
A glide avalanche over Talapus lake:

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.
BensonM

BensonM
PostMon Apr 12, 2021 8:58 am 
KascadeFlat wrote:
Everyone has been picking up Homecourt peaks lately so we decided to join the fun. Headed up Pratt Mountain in perfect weather. We started at the Pratt Lake TH and the snowshoes went on after we crossed the Olallie outlet at 3800 feet. Then it was up, up, up the ridge! Thankfully a blessed angel had gone before us and broken trail. angel.gif The snow conditions were excellent and the ridge hike was a sublime delight.
A real angel wouldn't be feeling yesterday's hike so hard in the glutes and hip flexors. Sorry for the meandering path after the Olalilie outlet. I assumed that I would be following someone else, so I blew at least a half-mile recreating a Family Circus cartoon before I realized that it was my day to plow the trail. Nice to bump into you coming down. I wish I'd made the NWHikers connection in the moment, but I'm glad to share a ridge-day experience with you. It *was* sublime. I was pleased to have a bit of cloud cover for most of the ascent, which certainly slowed down the snow-rot. The powdered sugar was much nicer, despite its tendency to collapse with any pressure. Here are some photos of our ridge romp.

KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostTue Apr 13, 2021 8:34 pm 
Quote:
Nice to bump into you coming down. I wish I'd made the NWHikers connection in the moment, but I'm glad to share a ridge-day experience with you. It *was* sublime.
Booyah and well met! The world is really a small place. biggrin.gif

babylero

babylero
PostWed Apr 14, 2021 11:02 am 
I was also up there Sunday, but we went up attempt Tusk-o-granite. Gorgeous Day.

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSun May 09, 2021 5:02 pm 
Lightning Peak (Olympics) 5/8/21 Trevin and I, feeling less than 100% physically, me fighting off systemic poison oak and Trevin recovering from hand surgery opted for a moderate day in the Olympics this weekend. The first mile up the Copper Creek Trail is pretty incredible, great Olympic forest scenery! Snow started shortly after leaving the main trail for the climbers trail. Crampons and axe were out shortly after. Access to the summit ridge was corniced a bit, but easy enough to navigate around. We made it to the false summit where many stop and decided that continuing on to the true summit was not worth it given Trevin only had one good hand. We had lunch and headed home! It felt really good to get out and still have a lot of energy afterwards, unlike most of my trips these days.
Spring growth
Spring growth
Rough skinned Newt
Rough skinned Newt
Trail in
Trail in
Cascades on Copper Creek
Cascades on Copper Creek
Trillium
Trillium
Picasso
Picasso
Lightning Peak
Lightning Peak
Lake Cushman
Lake Cushman
True summit
True summit
Boot shot
Boot shot
Descending
Descending
trees and fog
trees and fog
Tiny falls
Tiny falls
Copper Creek
Copper Creek

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun May 09, 2021 7:47 pm 
awilsondc wrote:
Trail in
Trail in
This one is really attractive. It's like a stage setting for an entrance to storybook land. ~z

Walkin' Fool, Chief Joseph
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostMon May 17, 2021 1:19 pm 
Camp Muir on Sunday. 60 degree temps, zero wind, and sunburns all around. We got a very late start (10 am) but still had decent snow conditions. Pan Face was perfect for booting up in the morning and slushy enough in the afternoon to make the devilish glissade path manageable. Despite the lovely weekend weather I didn't feel like the route was crowded. Overall a ton of fun!

thxII38

thxII38
PostTue May 18, 2021 4:31 pm 
I have a complete report on my climb of Mt. Hood on the Mountaineers site for all that are planning to do it soon. Be aware that the catwalk is getting razor-thin and was intense for me. Video on the Mountaineers page does a pretty good job capturing it. Mt. Hood Report May-15 Mountaineers.org

I love sports-bars. Because they collect all the people I don't want to hang out with and put them in one room.

Tom
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue May 18, 2021 5:02 pm 
thxII38 wrote:
Be aware that the catwalk is getting razor-thin and was intense for me. Video on the Mountaineers page does a pretty good job capturing it.
This was very intense--especially Full Screen on a monitor. Pretty hard to watch actually. At times it looked like an astronaut at the Space Station. eek.gif Well done getting down that thing. Good grief. ~z

Tom
neek

neek
PostWed May 19, 2021 8:43 pm 
Some panos from last weekend
from Robinson Mountain
from Robinson Mountain
Another
Another
from Big Craggy
from Big Craggy
from Copper Glance Lake
from Copper Glance Lake
from Raven Ridge
from Raven Ridge
And also
Slate Peak
Slate Peak
Beauty Creek trail
Beauty Creek trail

Cyclopath, reststep, Tom  Walkin' Fool, Navy salad
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostWed May 19, 2021 9:18 pm 
stun.gif neek... bro... that Robinson panorama is a thing of beauty! Wow! Good stuff man.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Jun 03, 2021 2:59 pm 
New York State of mind

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Midnight Slogger
'Schwack Job

Midnight Slogger
'Schwack Job
PostThu Jun 03, 2021 6:20 pm 
awilsondc wrote:
neek... bro... that Robinson panorama is a thing of beauty!
Desktop background-worthy for sure... Looks like a memorable weekend.