Forum Index > Trail Talk > Suiattle Rd/trail closure
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fishonjoe

fishonjoe
PostWed Apr 14, 2021 3:56 pm 
Does anyone have any additional info regarding the Suiattle Rd closure through Oct. 6th 2021? Closed just west of the Downy Crk bridge, apparently dangers due to the Downy Crk Fire last year? All trails in that area are closed as well. I thought someone would have posted something here bout it by now but can't seem to find any info? My friend tried calling Ranger Station today but they are closed. thanks

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostWed Apr 14, 2021 4:01 pm 
That's crazy news, if true. Perhaps they're bored and want to create the nation's largest steeplechase course.

fishonjoe

fishonjoe
PostWed Apr 14, 2021 4:10 pm 
FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostWed Apr 14, 2021 4:20 pm 
It sure does say that. Oct. 6 is a very precise date for the backend. Is that a hunting season date? Curious to see the rationale of the damage to road and resources. I didn't remember that fire burned to the road, but the inciweb map shows a bigger affected area than I realized. https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/maps/7190/

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Apr 14, 2021 4:51 pm 
I suppose that means that the road to Boulder lake will not be accessible?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
philfort

philfort
PostWed Apr 14, 2021 6:02 pm 
This feels like something that should be ignored.

Sallie4jo

Sallie4jo
PostWed Apr 14, 2021 6:36 pm 
They are going to be doing logging and the fire actually did go across the road.. imagine after they "salvage log" then they will also do trail clearing. Went back out almost a month ago now..still lots of snow so we didnt get to the Suiattle trailhead, but did go mayb half mile past the downy creek trail. Was interesting to see it as we were some of the folks who ended up sheltering in place up at image lake, then we hiked out/through the fires on Saturday. The fires were real. Don't know how the decision to cut what is done..just hope they leave the many trees that survived stand. If they monitor the road like they did during the fire..I doubt getting in will happen. Just my 2 cents. Will b interested in following this.

I choose to live in a landscape of hope. Terry Tempest Williams
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat May 01, 2021 9:52 pm 
IME: It usually is several seasons after a fire before the USFS reopens an area that has been burned. I recall hiking through an area burned by the Tripod fire 3 seasons after the fire and one section of trail was still officially closed. That section was dusty, dirty and still smelled burned, new growth was just starting to come back. Lots of downed trees to negotiate. I suppose is there is enough lobbying, the FS might put a crew to work clearing downed trees and trees likely to fall across the road, but even that might take time, given the FS budgeting cycle.

JVesquire

JVesquire
PostMon May 03, 2021 10:28 am 
Recently burned areas are super dangerous. It's closed for a reason. It isn't just downed trees, but trees that fall for no apparent reason, rolling rocks, mudslides. I hope people obey the closure notice so we don't have any rescues or fatalities in there.

pula58

pula58
PostThu May 06, 2021 9:14 am 
No Ptarmigan traverse this year I guess!

Seattle_Wayne

Seattle_Wayne
PostSun May 09, 2021 8:02 am 
I drove up 26 yesterday to pick up garbage and look for the Green Mountain Lookout TH and came across the road closed sigh with all the posted signage of what's closed, etc. At the road closed sign, there's a right turn over a bridge. I'm assuming this is the Downey Creek Bridge? And more signage stating that the road is impassable 7.5 miles ahead at Rat Trap Pass, ( I failed to find Rat Trap Pass on the map). I didn't venture on beyond the sign because apparently it's a misdemeanor, up to $5k in fines or up to 6 months in jail for traveling down a closed road. When I got home, I referenced my map because I went up two service roads off of 26 that led to nowhere, (I found lots of trash, though). Green Mountain TH wasn't listed on the signage as one of the closed trails. And after looking at my map, I found that the TH is beyond the road closed barricade, (which by the way wasn't in the middle of the road anymore, if it ever was). My question: is the Downey Creek Bridge closure passed Green Mountain TH? I googled Downey Creek Bridge and it showed nothing like the bridge to the right off of 26. I'm trying to hike Green Mountain this year. Edit: Downey Creek up.gif

Vesper Peak
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun May 09, 2021 8:20 am 
Seattle_Wayne wrote:
Denny Creek Bridge
Denny Creek is near Snoqualmie Pass, I think you meant to refer to Downey Creek.

Seattle_Wayne

Seattle_Wayne
PostSun May 09, 2021 8:52 am 
Randito wrote:
Seattle_Wayne wrote:
Denny Creek Bridge
Denny Creek is near Snoqualmie Pass, I think you meant to refer to Downey Creek.
Downey Creek, yes.

Vesper Peak
altasnob

altasnob
PostSun May 09, 2021 9:24 am 
I haven't been up there post-fire, so can't answer for sure. But Green Mountain TH is not listed as one of the closed trails on the FS link posted above. Also, you get to Green Mountain TH by taking the spur road a mile or so West of Downey Creek, before you cross Downey Creek. I was up on Green Mountain last summer when the fire was initially starting to smolder and the area that was burning was on the East side of Downey Creek. And I understand the fire went down the mountain and burned Sulphur Creek campground, again well East of Downey Creek. So I would assume that Green Mountain area and the road to Green Mountain TH did not burn and should be open, since it is West of the burn area. But I am not sure specifically where the road is closed. Are you sure you were not driving up the road on the South side of the Suiattle River road? Rat Trap Pass is south of the river. The north road is the one you take to Green Mountain. Map showing Green Mountain outside the burn area:

Schroder

Schroder
PostSun May 09, 2021 9:36 am 
Rat Trap Pass is on FR 25 next to White Chuck Mountain. Green Mountain Trailhead is on FR 2680 that turns north from FR 26 just past Green Mountain Pasture. It shouldn't be affected by the fire closure.