Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mount Price - 3/27/2021
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostSun Mar 28, 2021 8:46 pm 
This week started with grand ambitions which, as often happens, did not survive the deteriorating weather forecast. Instead of a bluebird weekend, we were going to have a decent day Saturday followed by rain/snow on Sunday. Then there was the usual Friday ritual of figuring out plan B, then plan C, and so on. After a flurry of suggestions, we settled on Mount Price. In the morning, as I approached North Bend, I could only see about 1000 ft of Mt Si below the cloud ceiling. Things were looking good for an early start until I got to the end of the pavement on the middle fork road. The road gets pretty rough fairly quickly. I was concerned my van wouldn't make it t the end. After a few questionable decisions to go for it, I ended up at the Dingfort Creek trailhead considerably later than planned. Fletcher and Fred were already there and Eric and Damon would soon arrive. Much to our surprise, the trailhead was quite busy. Someone had talked to some of the other groups and found out that one of the other groups was heading for Price also. We gathered up our gear and headed out. The trail started out snow free, but it wasn't long until we hit a few snow patches, then bigger patches, then continuous snow. At about 2 miles we put on the snowshoes. We followed the tracks of a party ahead of us until they turned toward Sorcery Mountain. We then dropped down to the creek and looked for a way across. It took a little scouting, but we found a safe way across.
Scouting the creek
Scouting the creek
Crossing the creek
Crossing the creek
Once on the other side, we started upward. We had a GPS track that we used as a rough guide, but didn't follow it exactly. There were a few cliffy sections to work around and few steep sections to overcome, but nothing too bad. The snow felt stable. We saw some slide debris here and there, but it didn't look terribly recent. About 1000 ft from the top the sun started poking through the clouds. Soon we were above the cloud deck. The views started opening up and the tree bombs started falling. Before long we were on the summit with spectacular views all around.
Steep Bit
Steep Bit
On the summit
On the summit
Chair Peak, Kaleetan, Roosevelt, Snow Lake
Chair Peak, Kaleetan, Roosevelt, Snow Lake
Big Snow
Big Snow
Snoqualmie
Snoqualmie
Garfield
Garfield
Hanging out on the summit
Hanging out on the summit
We ate some lunch, took some photos, and enjoyed the views. Much too soon it was time to head down. Just as we were packing our stuff up, the other party from parking lot was arriving. We chatted with them for a few minutes and then started down. With the help of gravity, going down was much faster. Soon we were back in the parking lot chatting and drinking beer.
The descent
The descent
The forest
The forest

Now I Fly
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostSun Mar 28, 2021 9:12 pm 
Thanks for the write up Dave! Really enjoyable day out.

iron

iron
PostSun Mar 28, 2021 11:24 pm 
one of my favorite snowshoes. thanks for the memories. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7988790

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostMon Mar 29, 2021 12:46 am 
That looks great. Thanks for the report.

RichP

RichP
PostMon Mar 29, 2021 8:35 am 
Price is a nice summit. It's a fairly long one in summer so i'm sure that other group was grateful for the broken trail.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Mar 29, 2021 2:57 pm 
I'm impressed you did this route without running into big problems with steep and cliffy areas. You must have planned well. Previous reports have not been encouraging and scared me away! I notice in sushihq's Flickr feed a great use of slope shading to avoid steeper areas.
My GAIA track with slope angles.
My GAIA track with slope angles.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Mar 29, 2021 4:18 pm 
When I climbed Price on the downclimb I happened upon a Mylar balloon with a note attached. It read “This is BRITTANY’S birthday party. Call [number was no longer in service when I called] if you find this note. Sammy, Windy, Candi, Tabitha, Kelly, Brittany’s Mom” If any of the members of this forum were at that party then yes, the note has been found.

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostMon Mar 29, 2021 5:33 pm 
it was fun getting out with everybody. the views were much better than i expected up there. i think we made the right call on our summit choice after 20 different ideas were thrown around during the last few days

Eric Eames
Eckels

Eckels
PostFri Apr 02, 2021 2:40 pm 
Looks like a great trip!! I was camped out by Gravel lake almost visible in one of your shots that day!! If you got any more clear shots of all the North Facing terrain across the valley from Thompson to Chair I'd love to see them! We we're poking around looking at what we could ski without running into cliffs smile.gif

MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostSun Apr 04, 2021 5:57 pm 
Eckels, I looked through my photos and found two more of the area you mentioned. They aren't great, but that's all I have. Hope you find a good line.
Thomson
Thomson
Red Mountain
Red Mountain

neek

neek
PostMon Apr 05, 2021 9:08 pm 
Went up there today. Really good conditions. Snowshoes on the way up, crampons going back down, minimal postholing. Seems like the route has seen a bit of activity in the past week; there's a pretty well established track all the way.

MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostTue Apr 06, 2021 3:08 pm 
Nice trip Neek! Looks like you had great weather up there.

RichP

RichP
PostTue Apr 06, 2021 3:33 pm 
Ooh, I like that 360 summit view, neek. Make it full size and spin it around and it feels like being there.

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostThu Apr 15, 2021 7:57 am 
I too decided to be greedy and go up Mount Price yesterday (4/14/2021) and after weekend snowstorm and warm weather snowmelt the established route was completely gone, so I got to break trail in the soft snow all the way, fun! I brought ice axe and crampons too, but I didn't use them and they would have been not useful anyway - the snow was just too soft and the route is very easy. I used your way (from gpx track posted by the mountaineers group) on the way up. It is surprisingly nice: no evil bushwhack, almost no steep parts. The main ridge to the top is just so gentle and wide. Unfortunately it was very warm and I had no clouds or fresh snow on the trees, but I still liked the views. I couldn't see much of Hester Lakes from the summit (because of the cornice) so I decided to make a lollipop and check them out on the way back. I used the other ridge along the lakes to go down. It is steeper and more narrow, with some ups and downs. At one point it became knife edge with steep drop offs on both side and with soft snow I couldn't go that way anymore. So I dropped down directly through steep, but very forested, slope. After that it was just super mellow but very long walk through Hester creek valley down. Lots of big trees, lots of creeks and swamps and still lots of snow. Didn't see any human tracks or humans all day, but lots of varied thrushes and robins in the forest.

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostFri Apr 16, 2021 2:56 pm 
I would like to head out there, sometime. Looks like a great destination. Any takers, and anyone with a high-clearance vehicle?

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.