Forum Index > Gear Talk > Silky Saw Blade Teeth Type
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rossb

rossb
PostSun Apr 18, 2021 6:15 pm 
I’m about to buy a 170 mm Silky Pocket Boy saw. It is only used for occasional, impromptu trail work. I will pull it out when I encounter a blow down, and saw. I’m usually sawing tiny blowdowns, or the branches of bigger ones. I don’t mind making extra strokes as long as they're smooth. The thing that irritates me the most while sawing something is having it grab. This is for the wood around here (alder, Douglas fir, true Fir, cedar, etc.). It is cheaper to get medium teeth, but I have a feeling I would prefer fine. Any thoughts from folks who know more about saws and wood than me?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostSun Apr 18, 2021 9:02 pm 
Medium shouldn't grab, I have the course and cut fir without any grabbing.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSun Apr 18, 2021 11:31 pm 
Buy some decent leather gloves. These thing incise quite well.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostMon Apr 19, 2021 12:11 am 
Unfortunately Silky doesn't offer the Pocketboys with the best compromise tooth count - 11 per inch. The gap between "medium" and "fine" (for the Pocketboys) is from 9 to 17. The 17 cuts beautifully, but is more sensitive to dulling or bending the blade when asked too much of. I've tried the 9 and it does grab annoyingly. This is a pain if the task demands precision cutting, but for trail work the durability of the 9 would probably be best. The Pocketboys are sweet little saws. I just wish they'd offer it in an 11 or 13 count. That would be ideal.

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Apr 19, 2021 1:51 am 
most recent acquisition: https://www.ebay.com/itm/310846336263 nice unit. haven't even tried it out yet.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
rossb

rossb
PostMon Apr 19, 2021 11:49 am 
Thanks for the tips. I think I'll just get the medium and if I find it grabs too much for my taste, get the fine later. Thanks everyone.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Apr 21, 2021 12:08 pm 
Pyrites wrote:
Buy some decent leather gloves. These thing incise quite well.
My heavy duty cotton ones work, but I have lost more blood to a pruning saw (silky type) than a chain saw. Those innocent looking non motorized saws are very sharp and will bite.
Prepare fer some sawin'
Prepare fer some sawin'

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
hatchetation

hatchetation
PostWed Apr 21, 2021 5:51 pm 
Don't overlook the Silky F180, I think it's the best value if you're shopping for a packable Silky. It's not as cute as the Pocketboy, but you get a more usable size (5cm longer) and more blade choices; all for about the the same weight and cost. (There's no metal frame in the F180 handle) F180 is definitely my favorite - and I've tried a lot of them (took a while to learn not to break blades ... )

Gregory

Gregory
PostThu Apr 22, 2021 6:58 am 
It is important to know that the silky Is a Japanese saw and only cuts on the pull stroke. The Bohco cuts both directions. The silky is a thinner kerf blade and does not like to be forced to cut on the forward stroke. They bend and brake because of the thin blade. One of the benefits of cutting on the pull is you have more control as the flex of the blade is taken out of the equation and they don't jump and bite as much if you learn to use a controlled pull stroke. I love the Silky saws but I find my self packing my folding Carona from Home depot because of durability. I replaced my chain saw in my camping van with the Katana boy 500 and love it. I do not let anybody use it though. Dirt kills these saws. My wood working shop is full of Jap saws very accurate.