Forum Index > Trail Talk > Lyme disease incident in Clallam county, Washington
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostFri Apr 16, 2021 8:19 pm 
They seem to like warm and dry. Umptanum creek and ridge are rife with the little menaces.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostSat Apr 17, 2021 12:25 pm 
I'd never seen a tick in W. WA in 20+ years of living here until going up Florence Pk (MRNP) a couple of years ago. On the false summit, we stopped for a moment and there were 3 of the buggers ambitiously climbing my legs. After recovering from the surprise, the propensity to go after humans was selected against. At the time, the place reeked of ungulates, the ticks probably don't lack for opportunity here.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Gregory

Gregory
PostSun Apr 18, 2021 6:25 am 
I picked up one in Kitsap county last year fishing a beaver pond on Pope land behind mission lakes. My dog picked up a good half dozen or so from the Ueland Tree Farm Last year, I finally just stopped hiking there. My dogs have never picked up ticks playing in the woods around here in thirty years. My dogs have picked them while playing along the Skoke and Wynoochee. But then again I remember when there were no dead possums in our roads here either. Woke up one morning as a kid on a survival hike in the central cascades with one sucking blood from my cheek, I will never forget that.

Marmot Salad

Marmot Salad
PostSun Apr 18, 2021 7:02 am 
Our dog picked up a tick on a walk near Eatonville last January. I didn't check her for ticks because it was January. She developed a bump on her chin that I thought was a wart until it fell off and started crawling away. We sent the tick to the health department. They identified it as a western black legged tick and said it is a vector for Lyme disease. She has not developed any symptoms so far.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Apr 18, 2021 7:15 am 
Our animals picked up ticks in Kitsap county back in the 50’s probably well before then. Cat and Dog ticks are different species as are Deer ticks. Do not think most species transmit Lyme except Deer. Although this may be environmental of coincidence. They can transmit Rocky Mountain Spotted fever and Relapsing fever which are no picnic.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Moose

Moose
PostMon Apr 19, 2021 8:01 am 
Reading about people finding ticks in areas of the state that I always presumed were relatively "safe" - i.e., Kitsap, MRNP, etc. - puts a damper on my mountain ambitions. frown.gif I'm still traumatized from my experience last summer, I suppose. Along those lines, does anyone have recommendations for treated clothing (the few options at REI never fit me well) or other tick repellant methods? We always treat our clothes with Permethrin at the beginning of the season (usually around this time), but I've read that doing this is much less effective than buying the factory-treated clothing, especially after the first wash.

Brockton

Brockton
PostMon Apr 19, 2021 8:41 am 
All these stories are so creepy. One of the things I’ve always liked about Western Washington is the lack of skin irritants: no poison ivy, no rattlesnakes, and most importantly, no ticks. Oh well...

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostMon Apr 19, 2021 10:10 am 
I've only knowingly came across one tick in Washington and it was on the Ingalls Creek trail last spring. My girlfriend was cold so I handed her the neck gaiter I was wearing and when she went to put it on there was a red tick on the outside of it.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Apr 19, 2021 10:25 am 
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Apr 19, 2021 10:28 am 
The point being that ticks are expanding their home ranges. Tick bourne diseases are on the rise. It isn't just one weird spring, this is the new normal and we should all expect and be prepared for it It's a good idea to check your legs. They're tiny and you don't feel them walking on you.

dixon

dixon
PostWed Apr 21, 2021 9:31 pm 
I've had a tick bite from hiking Sourdough mtn in the N cascades and I see them every year that I've climbed that peak. Also seen many ticks over by Kachess Ridge and even one on my car bumper! Teananway area is also rife with ticks, Stegosaurus Butte along the middle fork and also on Crystal Peak over by Mt Rainier. They seem to be pretty much everywhere.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostThu Apr 22, 2021 9:14 am 
Moose wrote:
Along those lines, does anyone have recommendations for treated clothing (the few options at REI never fit me well) or other tick repellant methods? We always treat our clothes with Permethrin at the beginning of the season (usually around this time), but I've read that doing this is much less effective than buying the factory-treated clothing, especially after the first wash.
The problem with the store-bought ones is you don't get to choose what clothes to buy. For those of us on the tail of any fit distribution, that's a big deal. There are places that will treat your clothes for you, which is reportedly more durable than just soaking them yourself. E.g., https://www.insectshield.com/. They do warn that they'll probably shrink your clothes, though, which again excludes some of us who can't easily "size up" when we buy.

Moose

Moose
PostThu Apr 22, 2021 12:00 pm 
texasbb wrote:
There are places that will treat your clothes for you, which is reportedly more durable than just soaking them yourself. E.g., https://www.insectshield.com/.
Now THAT is intriguing! I didn't know that was an option - thanks for the tip. I'm curious if other nwhikers have used this before...maybe I'll pose the question on the Gear forum.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Apr 22, 2021 6:01 pm 
Moose wrote:
texasbb wrote:
There are places that will treat your clothes for you, which is reportedly more durable than just soaking them yourself. E.g., https://www.insectshield.com/.
Now THAT is intriguing! I didn't know that was an option - thanks for the tip. I'm curious if other nwhikers have used this before...maybe I'll pose the question on the Gear forum.
I have used it and found it to be the most cost effective way to treat clothes. It also saves me from The mess and everything from the permethrin, which is hazardous to cats and other animals. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostThu Apr 22, 2021 6:25 pm 
I buy treated clothes to begin with and give then a touch-up spray with some Sawyer 0.5 % after they have had a few washings. It seems to work fine. I just did 3 days on the Chelan Lakeshore trail where my hiking partner got ticks and I didn't.