Forum Index > Trail Talk > Dog poop bags
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Apr 20, 2021 7:39 am 
Solution is semi feral paria dogs as found in rural India and South Asia they will gobble up all that shiz. wink.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostTue Apr 20, 2021 8:47 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
I skied Kendall Road once in the spring, it's dog poop soup.
Is there a particular wax you'd recommend?

Foist
Brian R

Brian R
PostTue Apr 20, 2021 8:52 am 
If a bear $hits in the woods. And there's no one there to see it. But if a bear puts it in a plastic bag and leaves it on a trail. That's different.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostTue Apr 20, 2021 8:59 am 
Brian R wrote:
Now that's some good old Soviet thinking right there, eh?
What? Holding people responsible for their laziness? Individual freedom comes with individual responsibility. Can't have one w/o the other.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Apr 20, 2021 9:07 am 
Stefan wrote:
More people defecate in the outdoors than dogs. That's a fact.
Did you count?

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Apr 20, 2021 9:54 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
Stefan wrote:
More people defecate in the outdoors than dogs. That's a fact.
Did you count?
Twice!!! Just to make sure.

Art is an adventure.
pula58

pula58
PostTue Apr 20, 2021 9:55 am 
I would LOVE to see an "Angry Hiker" post about dog crap on the trails! Where DID he go? I hope he is well. Would it be o.k., to leave one's candy bar wrappers and snack/lunch debris along the side of the trail, intending to pick it up later? Obviously not. So, dog poop, which is way more disgusting (and smelly) than food wrappers, is somehow o.k.? I think not.

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostTue Apr 20, 2021 10:45 am 
Stefan wrote:
cascadeclimber wrote:
Pick it up. Carry it. Pack it out. Just like I do with mine.
Then I hope you are consistent taking out your own personal excrement out too on National Forest lands and Wilderness areas. More people defecate in the outdoors than dogs. That's a fact. Like the rangers I have spoken to also, as was earlier mentioned, just throw the excrement into the wild away from the trail.
For the record, here is exactly what I do: 1. For two day climbs I just skip a day of pooping. This is not a problem for me. 2. Use established facilities where they exist. 3. Bury. Only when 1 & 2 are not options. 4. Blue bag. Very rarely. On glaciers. What I don't do: - sh## on trails and leave it there. - Leave bags of sh## on trails, for ANY amount of time. - Go wandering around off trail looking for dog turds, pick them up and put them on trails. No idea where your assertion about human vs. dog poop comes from. Do you have any, you know, actual data to back up your assertion? Regardless, I can say, from direct experience, that more people leave dog poop on trails that leave people poop on trails. The count just this year is two to many dozens. And that was the point of the original post- it's disgusting, inexcusable *human* behavior to leave pet feces behind, especially right on the trail. Pick it up, carry it, pack it out. If you don't like the smell, use better bags or leave the pet at home. I didn't like carrying soiled diapers, but that's what I did.

If not now, when?
wolffie

wolffie
PostTue Apr 20, 2021 11:15 am 
There's a special room in Hell for people who leave dog sh!t bags (or operate drones) in the wilderness, and I get to direct the banjo-and-accordion orchestra... eternally... never quite in tune... If it came out of a corgi, it may be the best, but it's still sh!t...

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
uww

uww
PostTue Apr 20, 2021 12:35 pm 
Stefan wrote:
More people defecate in the outdoors than dogs. That's a fact. Like the rangers I have spoken to also, as was earlier mentioned, just throw the excrement into the wild away from the trail.
Is that really a fact? I am not so sure- it is certainly not true where people have homes and I doubt it is true on trails, especially the heavily used dayhike trails. If you have a real source I'd love to see it. Throwing pet excrement in the woods is never a good idea. We have known for years it is a significant contributor to water pollution and disrupts the forest ecosystem. Interestingly, it also pollutes the air. Putting it in bags and packing it out is the best solution, but of course far too many dog owners seem to think this gives them a right to "temporarily" litter.

neek

neek
PostTue Apr 20, 2021 12:54 pm 
uww wrote:
Is that really a fact?
In places where dogs aren't allowed, like the Enchantments. But yeah, dogs poop 2-3 times per day, whereas most humans can probably hold it for a day hike. Or two days if you've got an iron sphincter like the guy above.
uww wrote:
Throwing pet excrement in the woods is never a good idea.
I think you're dramatizing a bit. Maybe not "good" in the strictest sense, but as far as wilderness preservation is concerned, I think we have much bigger problems. The Talenti jar idea mentioned on a previous page seems like a great option for anyone concerned. Having experienced a poo bag attached to the dog harness rupture, I might have to try that.

RichP

RichP
PostTue Apr 20, 2021 6:07 pm 
My poop bag report: Hiked a 7 mile loop in the Chuckanuts today and didn't see a single bag on the trail. The message is being heard or it was an off day for poop bag people.

Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Apr 21, 2021 8:19 am 
uww wrote:
Is that really a fact?
Use common sense. How many humans are out in the woods. Now how many dogs are out in the woods. Do the math! My estimation....probably a ratio of 90 people to every 1 dog I come across.

Art is an adventure.
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Apr 21, 2021 8:26 am 
cascadeclimber wrote:
For the record, here is exactly what I do: 1. For two day climbs I just skip a day of pooping. This is not a problem for me. 2. Use established facilities where they exist. 3. Bury. Only when 1 & 2 are not options. 4. Blue bag. Very rarely. On glaciers.
I have never came across a single climber doing what you say in over 30 years of mountain climbing. Oh, and when we were on Denali...., on the glaciers....people just throw the excrement stuff in the crevasses. Hell, even at thje 14,000 camp there are designated toilets OVER the crevasses--by the NPS.

Art is an adventure.
mosey

mosey
PostWed Apr 21, 2021 9:23 am 
uww and cyclopath already nailed all the witty jokes I wanted to make so I'll just leave these pictures
Technically not left *on* the trail
Technically not left *on* the trail
At the trailhead too? Darn these land managers think of everything. Good thing the sign isn't facing you as you exit
At the trailhead too? Darn these land managers think of everything. Good thing the sign isn't facing you as you exit