Forum Index > Trail Talk > Dog poop bags
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
philfort

philfort
PostWed Apr 21, 2021 11:54 am 
RichP wrote:
My poop bag report: Hiked a 7 mile loop in the Chuckanuts today and didn't see a single bag on the trail. The message is being heard or it was an off day for poop bag people.
I was on the Taylor River trail a few days ago and there were several poop bags along the trail. Saw some yesterday too on the mountain loop. I see them pretty much everywhere I go.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Waterman

Waterman
PostWed Apr 21, 2021 12:38 pm 
Dog bags are disgusting. But so are the habits of many clueless hikers. As a self described poo fairy/ H2O bottle and all round general trash hauler I have never come out of the woods without a full trash bag. Wishing for better behavior from others hasn't worked for me so i pick it up and carry it out. Earth day is coming up we all should hit the streets or parks and fill a bag.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
MesiJezi

MesiJezi
PostWed Apr 21, 2021 12:52 pm 
As unproductive as these threads are I can empathize with OPs frustration. I doubt the people that need to hear this message are denizens of this forum though, and because of the nature of the crime you never catch the perp in the act. And if you ever did you'll just be the next viral "karen" youtube video. I'm really bad and have fantasized about depositing the poo baggies we find on the trail on the hoods of cars in the lot with "wag more bark less" stickers. Totally unfair so I would never do it but the blatant disregard some people have is very frustrating. For me it's all the same--the poo bags, surface pooping, throwing freeze dried meal leftovers in the campsite bushes, creating fire rings, fires during a burn ban, carving names in trees... whatever, it's all inconsiderate to others and bad stewardship of the land. My mom has a good solution, she makes her dog wear a little doggy pack so he can carry his own snacks in and his own poop out. Dog doesn't care... I think he actually kinda likes it. up.gif

timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Apr 21, 2021 4:54 pm 
I think we can end this thread

Brian R

Brian R
PostWed Apr 21, 2021 9:59 pm 
Brian R wrote:
Randito wrote:
Some HOA's have the problem of dog turds not being picked so bad up that they have resorted to requiring DNA registration of dogs residing within the HOA and the use of DNA Testing of poop left lying around. I understand registration has been extremely effective. In HOA where is has been implemented -- they haven't had to issue too very many fines -- the potential embarassment of being identified as poop slacker seems to be motivation enough essentially eliminate the problem of poop not being picked up. Too bad dog poop bags can't be required to have the owner's name and phone number printed on the bag.
Now that's some good old Soviet thinking right there, eh? I don't like the poop bags either--but sheesh!
coldrain108 wrote:
Brian R wrote:
Now that's some good old Soviet thinking right there, eh?
What? Holding people responsible for their laziness? Individual freedom comes with individual responsibility. Can't have one w/o the other.
If we want to hold people accountable for their laziness and bad habits, well, I'm all in. I know a few public parks and sidewalks where we can start. But let's all skip the whole DNA registration thing as a general principle. For anything and everything. Agreed?

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Apr 21, 2021 11:43 pm 
MesiJezi wrote:
fantasized about depositing the poo baggies we find on the trail on the hoods of cars in the lot with "wag more bark less" stickers.
The superior move in this case would be to get it up up under the hood. Right by the air intake!!!

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostThu Apr 22, 2021 7:33 am 
BigBrunyon wrote:
MesiJezi wrote:
fantasized about depositing the poo baggies we find on the trail on the hoods of cars in the lot with "wag more bark less" stickers.
The superior move in this case would be to get it up up under the hood. Right by the air intake!!!
lol.gif Funny idea. up.gif Easily enough done though. The cabin air intake is (generally) right at the rear of the hood, where the windshield wipers are stored when not activated. paranoid.gif HOWEVER, it's about a 99% chance that whichever car might be selected will not belong to an "offender". But, funny idea though.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Apr 22, 2021 9:46 am 
timberghost wrote:
I think we can end this thread
No way! Lets talk about how we can make poop bags the new acceptable type of cairns!

Art is an adventure.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Apr 22, 2021 10:12 am 
Brian R wrote:
If we want to hold people accountable for their laziness and bad habits, well, I'm all in. I know a few public parks and sidewalks where we can start. But let's all skip the whole DNA registration thing as a general principle. For anything and everything. Agreed?
If you don't like it, don't buy a home in that HOA. Or write them. Tell them how offended you are by their rules and that they don't have the right to manage themselves as they see fit because this isn't the USSR. I'm sure that will go over well.

Brian R

Brian R
PostThu Apr 22, 2021 10:20 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Brian R wrote:
If you don't like it, don't buy a home in that HOA. Or write them. Tell them how offended you are by their rules and that they don't have the right to manage themselves as they see fit because this isn't the USSR. I'm sure that will go over well.
I would never live in or submit to an HOA. Bubbles within bubbles full of the like-minded and groceries that come from the ground floor.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Apr 23, 2021 1:25 am 
I am starting to think their <might> be something wrong with me since the poop bags don't bother me all that much...and I am for sure not picking them up. Heck, I am only mildly annoying at having to walk through horse manure while hiking. Kinda funny, horses leave huge piles of crap, no big deal, but some doggie poo causes an uproar. However, the introduction of a foreign substance to hiking trails (plastic bags) is a reasonable thing to strongly dislike.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Apr 23, 2021 5:24 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
but some doggie poo causes an uproar.
Or they (we?) could do like I've seen in Tacoma along the waterway sidewalks: someone went along and painted little circles around each deposit so that someone ELSE could find and remove them! 😜 The illogical logic of that policy certainly went WAY over some supervisor's head! 🤣

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
uww

uww
PostFri Apr 23, 2021 9:29 am 
It comes down to diet- horse manure is not as harmful to the environment as dog feces.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Apr 23, 2021 9:34 am 
uww wrote:
It comes down to diet- horse manure is not as harmful to the environment as dog feces.
Not necessarily, there are a number of requirements placed on horse usage regarding using "seed free" feed prior to and during trips on FS lands to reduce the introduction of invasive species. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/okawen/recreation/horseriding-camping/?cid=fsbdev3_053645

Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Apr 23, 2021 6:13 pm