Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Where did you retire to and do you like it?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun May 02, 2021 9:03 am 
We considered retiring in Canada when we were working in Ottawa probably somewhere in BC. Vancouver area was scary expensive as is the cost of living. Small towns are cheaper but pretty isolated. Ended up coming back to Izzy as we have paid off our house and there are still a lot of less used trails in the area. We plan lots of extended road trips with our pop up camper and truck. If we had to buy or rent a home we would choose someplace else.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun May 02, 2021 10:02 am 
altasnob wrote:
Nelson's leftist roots date back to draft dodgers during the Vietnam War.
Even farther back than that -- one of the reasons that the Nelson area welcomed Vietnam era draft dodgers was that the area has a siginficant russian emmigrant that had migrated to the area early in the 20th century to avoid goverment (russian and canadian) oppression. These russian emmigrants also had practices of drinking hemp tea. So hippy peaceniks from the usa found Nelson to have "good vibes". This was related to me by someone I hired to shuttle my car around Slocan Lake in preparation for an end to end canoe trip.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun May 02, 2021 1:53 pm 
Since I retired I live half the year in WWa and half at Priest Lake. Transitioning back and forth can be a bit of a challenge but it also allows me to enjoy different hikes and hobbies in very different areas. I like Priest river and the Newport area but one thing that is severely lacking is good places to eat. There is decent Mexican food but no decent Chinese or Teriyaki to be found, not even in Sandpoint. So for those you have to go to Spokane or CDA. Shopping is not bad, there is a Dollar Tree in Newport and a new Super 1 foods.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Brian R

Brian R
PostMon May 03, 2021 5:53 am 
altasnob wrote:
I never said rednecks were not nice people. But NE Washington tends to be deep MAGA anti-vax land, with a strong appetite for methamphetamine and lead tainted water.
Again, your slur is unsupported. An "appetite for methamphetamine?" You live in the Puget Sound region, right? Have you looked around lately? And anti-vax folks live on both sides of the political spectrum, BTW.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon May 03, 2021 10:08 am 
Brian R wrote:
altasnob wrote:
I never said rednecks were not nice people. But NE Washington tends to be deep MAGA anti-vax land, with a strong appetite for methamphetamine and lead tainted water.
Again, your slur is unsupported. An "appetite for methamphetamine?" You live in the Puget Sound region, right? Have you looked around lately? And anti-vax folks live on both sides of the political spectrum, BTW.
Well the facts agree with altasnob -- Ferry county does have the worse death rates from meth in the entire state -- sad.
Methwa
Methwa
https://adai.washington.edu/WAdata/methamphetamine.htm Ferry county's covid vaccination rates also lag behind King county with 3121 doses of vaccine having been given to it's 7550 residents. (41%) King County has provided 1,848,950 doses for it's 2,252,782 residents (82%) During the 2020 General election Ferry County voters prefered Trump over Biden 63.45% to 34.03% -- close to 2:1. So it seems that the facts agree with altasnob and not with you.

Schroder

Schroder
PostMon May 03, 2021 11:32 am 
Seems like everyone is heading to Idaho these days Coeur d'Alene is 'hottest emerging housing market' in US

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon May 03, 2021 2:24 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Seems like everyone is heading to Idaho these days Coeur d'Alene is 'hottest emerging housing market' in US
Yes, Boise and others as well as Montana. The last team I worked (2017) on was largely remote workers, with someone in Newport, WA, another in Driggs, ID , Dillon, Mt and others as well as myself in Harlem at the time. With the pandemic and big employers announcing "work remote forever" policies the trend toward living and working remote from rural areas with lower real estate prices and no traffic is only increasing into the future. It will be interesting to see what effect this has on the political differences between urban and rural areas. Another thing to monitor will be to what degree tension develops between folks that grew up in rural areas and ex-urban new residents, wheher they be retirees or remote workers.

FiveNines

FiveNines
PostMon May 03, 2021 2:50 pm 
randy hiker, Why did you pick Ferry Co as an example for meth and voting statistics? You are commenting on the give and take between high snob and brian? But that began with snob's recommendations of Kettle Falls, Metaline Falls and Newport. None of those towns are in ferry co. No one in this thread has suggested anywhere in Ferry Co. Additionally, from your screen shot, "note as well that Ferry County had less than 7400 residents, meaning it is an unstable outlier in terms of death rates." It seems like you went trolling the internet for some gotcha facts that are not relevant to the conversation. Just to prove brian wrong. Cherry picking a county with less than 8000 residents and some goofy statistics due to small sample size within a state of millions is not a compelling analysis.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon May 03, 2021 3:29 pm 
FiveNines wrote:
randy hiker, Why did you pick Ferry Co as an example for meth and voting statistics? You are commenting on the give and take between high snob and brian? But that began with snob's recommendations of Kettle Falls, Metaline Falls and Newport. None of those towns are in ferry co. No one in this thread has suggested anywhere in Ferry Co. Additionally, from your screen shot, "note as well that Ferry County had less than 7400 residents, meaning it is an unstable outlier in terms of death rates." It seems like you went trolling the internet for some gotcha facts that are not relevant to the conversation. Just to prove brian wrong. Cherry picking a county with less than 8000 residents and some goofy statistics due to small sample size within a state of millions is not a compelling analysis.
My bad -- those towns are in Stevens county which is just east of Ferry county -- my mistake. Stevens has provided 22,500 doses to it's population of 45,723 (49%) Steven's Meth death rate is somewhat better than Ferry county's -- but still significantly worse than King county. Steven's county is even more MAGA than Ferry county with 69.67% voters going for Trump and just 27.57% for Biden. So I think the facts still support that altasnob's generalization of the populace in North Eastern Washington.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostMon May 03, 2021 4:32 pm 
Randito wrote:
altasnob wrote:
Nelson's leftist roots date back to draft dodgers during the Vietnam War.
Even farther back than that -- one of the reasons that the Nelson area welcomed Vietnam era draft dodgers was that the area has a siginficant russian emmigrant that had migrated to the area early in the 20th century to avoid goverment (russian and canadian) oppression. These russian emmigrants also had practices of drinking hemp tea. So hippy peaceniks from the usa found Nelson to have "good vibes". This was related to me by someone I hired to shuttle my car around Slocan Lake in preparation for an end to end canoe trip.
Are you referring to the Dukhabors? The province and the federal government, and the Dukhabors had longer than a person’s lifetime conflicts. One core issue was marriage. The Dukhabors held marriage was a religious institution, and refused to obtain or sign government issued marriage licenses. The government held that the Dukhabors were criminally engaging in adultery. If you’re not old this might sound especially strange. Arson and stripping in public were common methods to oppose jailing men they viewed as married, and the government viewed as criminals. This went on for a couple generations. Education of children through Grade 10 or 18 years of age in government or government approved schools, with Provincial annual tests were another point of contention. More than hemp was involved.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostMon May 03, 2021 4:44 pm 
Let’s leave redneck in the rear view mirror. While we’re at it, how about doing the same with 206’er.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon May 03, 2021 4:58 pm 
I remember as a kid that the Dukhabors were famous for protesting while naked.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostTue May 04, 2021 8:49 am 
Pyrites wrote:
criminally engaging in adultery
oh to long for the good old "again" days when government stayed out of our personal lives... clown.gif

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue May 04, 2021 7:37 pm 
One problem with retiring to a rural area is the usual lack of proximity to quality healthcare. Where we live near Priest Lake, the nearest hospital is in Newport, Wa, about 40 miles away and our experience with that facility is less than stellar and that's being kind. Other than that there are quite a few facilities in the Sandpoint area, which should also improve given the rapid growth of the area. For urgent care or severe health issues, Spokane has excellent hospitals and CDA is pretty good as well. If one has a stroke, what is the time frame for emergency surgery, something like 90 minutes? Priest lake does have a small airport which I assume one can be air lifted from and to Spokane.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostTue May 04, 2021 9:03 pm 
Schroder wrote:
and for trauma care we rely on a helo to Harborview.
How often you getting hurt?