Forum Index > The Trading Post > WTB: dynamic rope shorty
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hatchetation

hatchetation
PostMon May 03, 2021 9:22 am 
Anyone chop a rope recently and have an end to sell? I need ~40 feet of a decent dynamic rope for a goofy project. Can pick up in the Seattle area; name your price or favorite six-pack.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon May 03, 2021 10:17 am 
Why dynamic rope? Dynamic ropes are used for fall protection -- the "dynamic" aspect is stretching to lower the G-forces in catching a fall to reduce injury and the chances of anchor failure. Using an "old rope" for fall protection seems unwise. It is possible to buy dynamic rope "by the foot" -- if the goal is "fall protection" --isn't that worth a bit more than a six pack? https://www.backcountrygear.com/climbing/ropes-cordage/climbing-rope/mambo-wall-10-1-by-the-foot.html

hatchetation

hatchetation
PostMon May 03, 2021 10:54 am 
Appreciate the thought, but probably should have mentioned that I'm making a rug or something ... (I'm not) A bit more context: modern ropes used in technical tree climbing are often super-static; so static that they can't be legally certified for PPE use in europe. I'm experimenting with a dynamic element in a different climbing system while instrumented with a load cell for comparison purposes. I expect it to fail (ie, not be useful), but am not putting my life on the line using it in a fall protection system. So how much is fall protection worth, anyways? If you have a number you should suggest it to REI so they can jack up the price of all their carabiners that much. wink.gif

Route Loser

Route Loser
PostMon May 03, 2021 3:40 pm 
I have a retired 30m dynamic rope you can have. Sheath is in good condition, but it's about 10 years old. Send me a message if you want it, and we can arrange a handoff in Seattle somewhere.