Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Where did you retire to and do you like it?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostTue May 04, 2021 9:13 pm 
Randito wrote:
Brian R wrote:
altasnob wrote:
I never said rednecks were not nice people. But NE Washington tends to be deep MAGA anti-vax land, with a strong appetite for methamphetamine and lead tainted water.
Again, your slur is unsupported. An "appetite for methamphetamine?" You live in the Puget Sound region, right? Have you looked around lately? And anti-vax folks live on both sides of the political spectrum, BTW.
Well the facts agree with altasnob -- Ferry county does have the worse death rates from meth in the entire state -- sad.
Methwa
Methwa
https://adai.washington.edu/WAdata/methamphetamine.htm Ferry county's covid vaccination rates also lag behind King county with 3121 doses of vaccine having been given to it's 7550 residents. (41%) King County has provided 1,848,950 doses for it's 2,252,782 residents (82%) During the 2020 General election Ferry County voters prefered Trump over Biden 63.45% to 34.03% -- close to 2:1. So it seems that the facts agree with altasnob and not with you.
Don’t be a sanctimonious asshat. There are nuances there, as with any statistical data that can be cherry picked to fit a narrative. Beside that, the sanctimonious person who originally posted the MAGA territory comment seems to think that his leftist slurs — against people whose behavior represents just about anyone living in poverty — are just fine even though the admins have many times before had to close threads because of it.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue May 04, 2021 9:22 pm 
altasnob wrote:
I never said rednecks were not nice people. But NE Washington tends to be deep MAGA anti-vax land, with a strong appetite for methamphetamine and lead tainted water.
I spent the winter just across the state line at Priest Lake Idaho...plenty of "Rednecks" no meth but we smoked some weed. Never once did I see anyone wearing a mask in the bar-restaurant and never heard of anyone being sick. Maga? Hell yea! Living in the sticks does have it's advantages. We didn't drink a lot of water, mostly shots of Wild Turkey 101 and some Jack...of course the lightweights had their Fireball.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue May 04, 2021 10:53 pm 
hijacked.gif OK, I'll put on my moderator hat since Tom seems to have missed the digressions. Please be respectful of the OP's topic and keep politics out of the discussion. Point taken, however, that setting up your tent where surrounded by the "opposition" might make it difficult to meet RP's goal of "belonging" and "being part of a community".

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue May 04, 2021 10:57 pm 
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue May 04, 2021 11:04 pm 
Randito wrote:
Sad news from Ferry County https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/indoor-events-bring-covid-19-outbreak-in-republic-hitting-10-of-population/
That is a large percentage, but in good news the death toll percentages are down. They had a large event near Priest lake toward the end of April, a lot of people in close quarters. I estimate there were around 400 or more people. I noticed 3 wearing masks. Have not heard of any outbreaks related to this event, but then people came from other areas, and so far the locals are good and most of the older residents were vaccinated by 4-1-21.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
altasnob

altasnob
PostWed May 05, 2021 7:33 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I spent the winter just across the state line at Priest Lake Idaho...plenty of "Rednecks"
Is Priest Lake really that "redneck," as defined by Jeff Foxworthy. I mean, NBA hall of famer multi-bigillionaire John Stockton lives there. And just like wealthy people across the US, he likes to sue to keep people from moving in next to him. I mean, how redneck can a place be with 4 million dollar cabins? Seems more faux redneck, or redneck in name only (RINO), similar to what you see around the Puget Sound.

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed May 05, 2021 9:46 am 
alpendave wrote:
Schroder wrote:
and for trauma care we rely on a helo to Harborview.
How often you getting hurt?
Adequate health care is a major consideration in retirement. When you have a heart attack or a car hits you on your bicycle, you're going to want to have aid nearby. Out where I live, the local hospital can't handle any of those so we have a helicopter - Life Flight - on standby to carry those to Seattle. When you get outside of metro Everett-Seattle-Tacoma you'll find that the smaller hospitals can't handle traumas. There are exceptions - like Leavenworth is great for climbing injuries. We pay annual insurance specifically for helo transport. If you get cancer, do you want to live 6 hours away from a treatment center? We are talking about retirement age here.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostWed May 05, 2021 10:20 am 
Randito wrote:
Sad news from Ferry County https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/indoor-events-bring-covid-19-outbreak-in-republic-hitting-10-of-population/
sounds like a bunch of stories that came out of the 1918 Flu pandemic. Little towns off the beaten path that skirted the initial onset, did a celebratory dance, had a party and then got walloped by it. And no real medical facilities nearby. I guess its just another of those "human nature" things that we supposedly can't do anything about...without losing the ability to claim "its not my fault" anyway. Gotta keep the loophole open. Medical care is important for retirement. That and being socially engaged. I use music as a tool to keep my mind sharp, playing with other people keeps me on my toes. So I'll need to be around other people who are musically inclined. My friend moved to the way outskirts of ABQ to get away from SEA, he was a musician/songwriter I played with a lot. I just spoke to him and he hasn't picked up his instrument or tried to pen a song in over 3 months. No one to play with. Nice views of Sandia Mt though. That just won't work for me.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed May 05, 2021 12:22 pm 
FWIW: A friend of mine bought a 5 acre parcel with small cabin on in near Granite Falls in the '90s as he wanted to escape urban living. (His didn't mind commuting two hours a day in his car) He and his wife and son lasted out there for 5 years before she could no longer take the isolation. There are people out there -- but meeting people is another thing. One missed opportunity was they finally got to really meet their neighbors once they decided to moved and had purchased a place in a Co-Housing development in Woodinville (which worked much better for his wife and son) -- In prepareing to sell the place in Granite Falls -- they had a yard sale -- and got to finally meet all their neighbors for several miles up and down the country road they lived on -- in retrospect for meeting your neighbors in rural area -- it probalby useful to go to yard sales, buy stuff you don't really need and then re-sell it at a yard sale of your own, just as way of meeting people. That said, they found it hard to build friendships with the people they did happen to meet in the Granite Falls area -- people were friendly enough -- but often one of the 1st questions that would be asked is "Are you saved?" -- i.e. are you a believer in Jesus. And when the answer was "that's not really our thing" -- deeprer friendships didn't develop.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostWed May 05, 2021 1:48 pm 
Randito wrote:
"Are you saved?"
virtue signaling? Granite Falls is not far enough away, If I'm "going up the country" I'm going all the way up the country.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed May 05, 2021 3:51 pm 
I was born in a small town, went to school in a small town appos to John Cougar. There are some cool people there now they are the same people who were cool kids when I was in high school. But for a lone time after I graduated there were no cool folks in power.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed May 05, 2021 4:24 pm 
altasnob wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:
I spent the winter just across the state line at Priest Lake Idaho...plenty of "Rednecks"
Is Priest Lake really that "redneck," as defined by Jeff Foxworthy. I mean, NBA hall of famer multi-bigillionaire John Stockton lives there. And just like wealthy people across the US, he likes to sue to keep people from moving in next to him. I mean, how redneck can a place be with 4 million dollar cabins? Seems more faux redneck, or redneck in name only (RINO), similar to what you see around the Puget Sound.
Well "Redneck" has a pretty broad definition. It was originally coined to describe coal miners.. "white coal miners who belonged to labor unions (in West Virginia, eastern Kentucky, western Pennsylvania, and southern Illinois and Indiana).".https://daily.jstor.org/redneck-a-brief-history/ To me a "Redneck" typically drives a pickup truck (american made), owns at least one chainsaw, several firearms, likes to hunt and fish, for sure has to drink beer, enjoys large bon fires, listens to country music, and is missing at least one tooth. I pretty much qualify although I no longer hunt.

neek

neek
PostWed May 05, 2021 4:52 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
To me a "Redneck" typically drives a pickup truck (american made)
Check (Toyota Tacoma)
Chief Joseph wrote:
owns at least one chainsaw
Electric ok?
Chief Joseph wrote:
several firearms
Non-working but whatever
Chief Joseph wrote:
likes to hunt and fish
I like the idea of these
Chief Joseph wrote:
for sure has to drink beer
Regularly
Chief Joseph wrote:
enjoys large bon fires
As long as a spark doesn't burn a hole in my arc'teryx
Chief Joseph wrote:
listens to country music
Yes (backwards anyway)
Chief Joseph wrote:
and is missing at least one tooth
All 4 wisdom teeth. I definitely qualify.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed May 05, 2021 8:06 pm 
neek wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:
To me a "Redneck" typically drives a pickup truck (american made)
Check (Toyota Tacoma)
Chief Joseph wrote:
owns at least one chainsaw
Electric ok?
Chief Joseph wrote:
several firearms
Non-working but whatever
True that Toyota's are now made in America, and a Tundra is almost like a "real truck"...so that's a pass. I would say No on the electric chainsaw, hardcore Rednecks won't use anything but a Stihl, I have 2 of those, 2 Husqvarna's and one Homelite. I suppose non-working firearms qualify as long as you are redneck enough to repair them yourself.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed May 05, 2021 8:09 pm 
neek wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:
and is missing at least one tooth
All 4 wisdom teeth.
For true hillbillies, wisdom teeth perform their traditional role, filling in for lost teeth.