Forum Index > Gear Talk > please recommend an ultralight sleeping bag 25degF
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mwtzzz

mwtzzz
PostMon May 17, 2021 12:54 pm 
This last backpacking trip made me realize I need to seriously trim the weight from my pack, so one of the things I'll be looking at is getting a lighter and smallr footprint sleeping bag. Can someone recommend an ultralight bag that you've had success with? I rarely sleep in temps below 25F, so anything rated around there would be fine.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
brineal
Snarky Master

brineal
Snarky Master
PostMon May 17, 2021 1:31 pm 
Kifaru slick bag.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon May 17, 2021 1:50 pm 
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostTue May 18, 2021 7:27 am 
The above link by Randy is a great choice. If you're looing to save weight a quilt is the way to go. I love my EE quilt! Also, the REI Magma 30 is on sale right now for 50% off if you're a member, until the 20th. $170 for a down bag is an insane price! https://www.rei.com/product/148246/rei-co-op-magma-30-sleeping-bag-mens My friend has the Magma 15 (not on sale) and he loves it.

mwtzzz

mwtzzz
PostTue May 18, 2021 11:26 am 
thanks for the tips folks. going through the quilt quiz, I could get the Revelation 30F, 850 down, 19 ounces for $280, or I could get the CoopMagma 30 also at 19 ounces for $169. (Or the Kifaru slick bag, which looks awesome, but $380). A no brainer, I'll give the Magma30 a try.

brineal
Snarky Master

brineal
Snarky Master
PostTue May 18, 2021 11:48 am 
mwtzzz wrote:
thanks for the tips folks. going through the quilt quiz, I could get the Revelation 30F, 850 down, 19 ounces for $280, or I could get the CoopMagma 30 also at 19 ounces for $169. (Or the Kifaru slick bag, which looks awesome, but $380). A no brainer, I'll give the Magma30 a try.
Those will help a lot with weight, especially if you truly don't encounter many cold nights.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue May 18, 2021 6:55 pm 
Going from a normal sleeping bag to a backpacking quilt got me more comfortable sleep and less weight to carry. Wouldn't want to go back.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue May 18, 2021 10:05 pm 
You want a bag to fit tight

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostTue May 25, 2021 11:16 am 
When sleeping with a quilt, can you feel any temperature difference where your body meets your pad or does the quilt fabric tuck in there enough to make it unnoticeable?

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed May 26, 2021 3:04 am 
zimmertr wrote:
When sleeping with a quilt, can you feel any temperature difference where your body meets your pad or does the quilt fabric tuck in there enough to make it unnoticeable?
I do not like sleeping on the bare pad so I made a fitted sheet for it. As noted above, really cold temps reduce the comfort of a quilt. This is especially true if you have a mesh inner body tent and it is windy. And make sure you have a good comfortable hat to sleep in. I always advise getting more quilt than you anticipate, i.e. a quilt rated for temps below what you will encounter. Look for how much loft they have when comparing bags. Having said that, I greatly prefer a quilt to a sleeping bag for three season temps. I toss and turn which makes the quilt nice. It is simpler to regulate temperature comfort with a quilt as well. If you toss and turn as I do, you will encounter unpleasant drafts at time. I have this FF Flicker UL 20* quilt/bag. I absolutely LOVE it. It's not cheap, but in my opinion is well worth the money. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostWed May 26, 2021 7:59 am 
zimmertr wrote:
I haven't noticed any difference where my body meets the pad. That's part of the reason for the quilt anyway. In a down bag your body squishes the down between you and the pad. Since down gets its insulative properties from its loft, when you're laying on top of it there is no loft so that part of the bag doesn't insulate very well anyway. A quilt eliminates that little bit of down and the accompanying material to save weight. You'd really only notice a temperature difference if the quilt gets loose on the side and you get a draft, which sometimes is desirable, but that can be avoided... My EE quilt comes with two bands that can slip over your pad, they have snaps that attach to the quilt to keep it snug at your side to eliminate the potential for a draft if you know it's going to be cold. I'm sure other brands have a similar system.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed May 26, 2021 11:23 am 
zimmertr wrote:
Same as @awilsondc, the pad itself feels warm (that's why we use them) the only way it can feel cold in this area is if the quilt is raised up off the ground and pad a little bit and letting cold air in. Quilts usually have attachments letting you control this. When I sleep up high in mid October and spend my days larching, I lash the quilt so the edges stay under the edges of the pad for maximum warmth. On a warmer night I prefer it to get a little drafty so I don't overheat. For what it's worth, this is why I prefer the quilt to open flat like at home in bed, and for the toe box to be closable somehow, otherwise it can get too warm down low in July and August.

Gil

Gil
PostThu Jun 03, 2021 9:48 am 
I'm still getting used to sleeping with a quilt. The last few trips have meant camping in the snow in a bivvy. The first time I tried that with the EE Revelation quilt, I was a little cold from drafts. But there was also a new shorter pad involved, and I have no doubt that things on dry ground would be better. Lightening up sure has made a difference for me as I get older.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat Jun 05, 2021 6:16 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
I have this FF Flicker UL 20* quilt/bag.
I agree with Rumi, except I took it a step further, mine is the wide-long version of the UL flicker. That gives me lots of room to slip my pad right inside the bag with me. I am slim, but if you use a thin pad like therm-a-rest pro lite plus or a Klymit Insulated V ultralite SL I think almost any size person would be just fine wth the pad inside. I can get my thick-wide Exped DownMat inside with me with me and still have wiggle room. If needed you can deflate the pad about half and still keep virtually all the insulating value. Also, a flicker eliminates any chance of drafts coming in from a gap in the bottom.