Forum Index > Photography Talk > Need a new camera
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostTue May 18, 2021 1:36 pm 
I need a simple camera. My Canon PowerShot SX530 HS doesn’t zoom in anymore. What I loved about the camera is the image quality, simple menu, and zoom in future. I am not buying anymore DSLR. I don’t want to play too much with complex settings. I like to have my camera on hand. I usually wear it on my neck. And that is how I destroy them. It bounces off all the time or I hit it with my knee when gaining in elevation. What I didn’t like with that particular camera is the image stabilization. The closer the image, the harder it was not to have it cloudy. Any recommendations for a power shot camera that takes amazing photos of landscapes and wildlife, has an amazing zoom in feature, has great image stabilization when zooming in from afar, and has a simple menu, so I don’t spend days figuring it out. I carry Gopro 9 with me and will replace my iPhone to the newest model. If you can offer a few in different price ranges that would be great. I am not a professional photographer. But I take a lot of photos and get lucky with some images. Thank you!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mike

mike
PostTue May 18, 2021 2:01 pm 
Mountainpines wrote:
and will replace my iPhone to the newest model.
just use that

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue May 18, 2021 2:13 pm 
Ditto, unless you need more zoom, latest cell phones are hard to beat.

Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostTue May 18, 2021 2:13 pm 
The image stabilization isn’t good with this one. And the one I have isn’t working. The lens is stuck. I can’t use the zoom feature anymore. I thought maybe I can get even more zoom in with the next camera and better image stabilization. I want to take wildlife photos. And phones for that aren’t great.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue May 18, 2021 2:17 pm 
I got a RX10 IV for zoom a couple years ago. Never use it as my cell phone takes better point and shoot pics. If you want a well regarded all in one zoom I'll sell you a RX10 IV for a good price. https://www.cameralabs.com/sony-cyber-shot-rx10-mark-iv-review/

cryptobrian

cryptobrian
PostWed May 19, 2021 7:50 am 
No specific camera recommendation, but if you carry a pack, I would recommend you try using a shoulder strap clip like the Peak Design clip. Holds the camera securely and it's immediately accessible.

pula58

pula58
PostWed May 19, 2021 2:59 pm 
The Canon G5X II is a nice camera. 5X zoom range (35mm Equivalent Focal Length: 24 to 120mm), popup viewfinder. Nice sharp photos. Realistic colors.

Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostWed May 19, 2021 4:30 pm 
Brian, Thank you. I do need it. They usually come with straps over neck, a terrible design. It’s okay walking on flat surfaces, not so much up hill. smile.gif

Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostWed May 19, 2021 4:43 pm 
I will read up a bit.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostWed May 19, 2021 7:54 pm 
cryptobrian wrote:
No specific camera recommendation, but if you carry a pack, I would recommend you try using a shoulder strap clip like the Peak Design clip. Holds the camera securely and it's immediately accessible.
The Peak Design Clip is really the best way to keep a camera handy for quick shots. It weighs 2.4 Ounces. I recommend using the cap screws with locktite, and not the thumbscrews (it comes with both) I pair it with the Ultrapod tripod and a mini Arca plate that is compatible with PD clip. (5.6 Ounces for both) The Ultrapod is supper handy, in that you can strap it to a tree branch or other objects as well.
Backpacking Tripod
Backpacking Tripod

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostWed May 19, 2021 8:14 pm 
Thank you for the photo. I didn’t visualize it that way.

Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostWed May 19, 2021 8:22 pm 
Pula, It looks this small camera packs a lot. I will head to the store to see and compare.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed May 19, 2021 9:44 pm 
For wildlife, I'd be looking at a super-zoom camera. 120mm 35mm equivalent is not enough for birds & animals. The Sony that Tom is offering has a 600mm equivalent and appears to be a real nice camera if it's in your budget. But, longer zooms are available. A camera like the Canon Powershot SX420 IS, SX540 IS, or similar would seem to fit the bill nicely. Whatever you get, carry it on one of those shoulder clips, or carry it in a small holster attached to a harness. That's how I carry my DSLR and it's the best way yet I've found to carry a camera, keep it protected, yet have it immediately available.

Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostThu May 20, 2021 5:50 pm 
My phone died by the time I reached Best Buy. I didn’t remember the name of the camera that was recommended by Tom. And the guy sold me Sony RX 100 VII. It does take nice pictures of landscapes. It is compact. But it seems fragile. If I am going to keep it, I will probably add warranty for two years. Some people say the menu is a bit hard to follow. But it seems easier than any new DSLR camera. I am NOT sure if it’s good for wildlife though. Comparing it with Canon Powershot 530, it seems it gets close to the range. But here the image stabilization is a lot better. I only took a few photos, and they seem a bit darker.

Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostThu May 20, 2021 7:39 pm 
I will go back to best buy and try the one Tom recommended here.