Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Backyard bird bonanza
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Olympic Hiker

Olympic Hiker
PostThu Feb 11, 2021 5:58 pm 
I have been seeing a lot of Varied Thrushes in my yard and out in the neighborhood in the last month or so. Usually in flocks of 3 to 10. This afternoon, while out on my just before dark walk around the neighborhood, I saw a Townsend Warbler.

If you once forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem. - Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Feb 11, 2021 6:23 pm 
I get to see a varied thrush every morning. It lives under a rhodie-like bush we call “ the weed”. I scatter some sunflower heart chips for it, it hops out and comes to within about five feet of me, and doesn’t flee when I toss the seeds. Usually there is a spotted towhee as well as numerous juncos that come racing in.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Feb 11, 2021 6:33 pm 
Olympic Hiker wrote:
This afternoon, while out on my just before dark walk around the neighborhood, I saw a Townsend Warbler.
Lucky! I see a ton of pictures of them on a birding group on facebook, but have never seen one myself. Such pretty little birds.

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostThu Feb 11, 2021 7:21 pm 
Just an FYI. Although I'm waiting until after the cold snap............ https://seattleaudubon.org/2021/01/20/seattle-audubon-supports-wdfw-guidance-to-limit-the-spread-of-salmonellosis/

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Olympic Hiker

Olympic Hiker
PostThu Feb 11, 2021 8:04 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Olympic Hiker wrote:
This afternoon, while out on my just before dark walk around the neighborhood, I saw a Townsend Warbler.
Lucky! I see a ton of pictures of them on a birding group on facebook, but have never seen one myself. Such pretty little birds.
I have seen them before, usually high up in Douglas Firs or Western Hemlocks, but the one I saw today was down at ground level looking for food. I bet it was down low because the snow was starting to get thick on the trees in my yard. Oh, and I thought it was a Junco at first, since I had just seen a bunch of Juncos before I saw the warbler, but I then realized there was yellow on its head.

If you once forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem. - Lincoln
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Feb 11, 2021 10:11 pm 
Olympic Hiker wrote:
I have seen them before, usually high up in Douglas Firs or Western Hemlocks, but the one I saw today was down at ground level looking for food. I bet it was down low because the snow was starting to get thick on the trees in my yard. Oh, and I thought it was a Junco at first, since I had just seen a bunch of Juncos before I saw the warbler, but I then realized there was yellow on its head.
I occasionally see Wilson's warblers, although it's been several years. I like those little yellow cuties.

Olympic Hiker

Olympic Hiker
PostSun Feb 14, 2021 12:52 pm 
About 4 Fox Sparrows showed up in my yard yesterday afternoon. Since then, along with a large contingent of Varied Thrushes, they have been busy scratching the ground where I have shoveled snow looking for food.

Olympic Hiker

Olympic Hiker
PostSun Feb 21, 2021 1:05 pm 
catsp wrote:
I appreciate what I assume to be a flicker getting his message out in a manner that ensures he causes no damage. #community
Most likely a Red-breasted Sapsucker attracting the ladies and marking its territory. I have watched plenty of Red-breasted Sapsucker tap on metal like the one in your video in late winter and into spring.

wolffie

wolffie
PostSun Feb 21, 2021 7:41 pm 
Sculpin, There was one fun thing that happened in 2020. A clutch of merlins ("pigeon hawks") fledged virtually in my backyard. Didn't notice them before fledging, then the youngsters hung around for a few weeks, making a lot of noise. I had seen them before -- 1980? -- but this was practically a new bird for me. Didn't recognize them as falcons; they didn't have a long tail. They were like big, dark purple martins. Later, I learned that merlins nesting in Seattle is not all that unusual. I even saw one chasing a pigeon.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
markod72

markod72
PostTue Feb 23, 2021 7:46 am 
2020 was my first year watching and learning the birds. I work at that golf course in Newcastle, so lots of different environs. Highlights... - watching merlin chase crows, jumping from branch to branch to root them out - Wilson's Snipe - lots of Sage Trasher spending the winter here - Western Tanager

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Feb 24, 2021 12:34 pm 
My yard is now infested with pine siskins. I took down my feeder bowl, even though I haven’t seen a siskin use it. They seem to prefer ground feeding as opposed to a small bowl hung just inches below my porch ceiling, which I do to try to limit use to small birds. But ground feeding my varied thrush and my dark eyed juncos was my favorite. If I so much as step outside, birds come flying in, looking for seeds on the ground. This morning I stood outside and waited for my varied thrush to prance into view, then I tossed half a dozen seeds to it, which it gobbled right up. Then a siskin hopped over, but the thrush sent it packing. Ha!

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostFri Apr 02, 2021 6:40 pm 
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/6-people-in-washington-sickened-in-salmonella-outbreak-linked-to-songbirds/ar-BB1ffyic?ocid=msedgntp

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostThu May 20, 2021 11:44 am 
got a new bird at the feeders this year evening grosbeak https://nas-national-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/evening-grosbeak_001_summer_canada_michaelklotz_flickrccby-nc-2.0_adult-male.jpg the lazuli bunting are back and a couple downy woodpeckers..funny with the snow fall we just had they show up!

Olympic Hiker

Olympic Hiker
PostSat May 22, 2021 10:46 am 
Swainson’s Thrushes have been back for about a week at my house.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSat May 22, 2021 1:59 pm 
got a new bird alongside the house sparrows, now I have a house finch... https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/House_Sparrow/ https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/House_Finch/