Forum Index > Gear Talk > tarptent double rainbow li!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RichP

RichP
PostWed Sep 02, 2020 6:13 pm 
In spite of my earlier comment I purchased this tent. Just returned from a 4-night work party with WTA and it performed well in light rain and wind. I was able to sell my old sil DR so the sticker shock was a bit less. Hoping to get a decade out of this one too.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostThu Sep 03, 2020 9:12 pm 
If you'll keep updating us on your experiences I'd be very interested! Last year I sold my MLD cuben DuoMid. I loved the weather resistance and lack of sagging, but found the lack of usable space annoying. These new Tarptents seem to solve a lot of the problems.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Sep 04, 2020 11:51 am 
I've had my Rainbow TarpTent out in snow and heavy rain and it help up very well. Rain splashed in when it bounced off the soil around me, but that wasn't too bad. But these were either single nights of rain, or multiple nights with light and heavy rain - but the tent dried out during the day, so I dont know for sure if it would hold up for multiple days and nights of wet weather where you never dry out. JimK's tarptent withstood over an inch of Kettle Crest rain one evening a few years ago. Good lord, what a downpour that was! embarassedlaugh.gif I no longer have my Hilleberg (I got claustrophobia one too many times), so I am interested as well, whether it holds throughout multiple days and nights of wet weather!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Sep 04, 2020 3:20 pm 
Opus wrote:
If you'll keep updating us on your experiences I'd be very interested!
Just spent 35 days since July 3 backpacking using my Tarptent Double Rainbow Li. I too like that it doesn't sag. It does get lots of condensation with two people during a rain storm, which I experienced. I use a small microfiber towel to wipe off any excess and pack it up. It dries faster than the old silnylon DR I formerly used. I haven't had it out in any significant winds so I can't comment on that. In good weather I dont even stake out the vestibules, I like to roll up the side completely. If I had my preference, I would have bought the Stratospire Li, which has a separate interior, but my spouse wanted the DR. I compromised. *bigsavedmymarriagegrins* If I was to get a solo shelter I think I would opt for the Aeon Li. Anyway, it seems well put together and so far I have no complaints. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Ronbo

Ronbo
PostSun Sep 06, 2020 1:06 pm 
Thank you for reviewing the Double Rainbow Li and I am appreciative that you compared it to the older model. So, how do you like the door orientation change, where the doors are now set up for head-to-toe sleeping with a tent partner? Does this new design make it worse for tent orientation in strong prevailing winds? How much does the backwards door inconvenience the person on that side when sleeping h2h? Was this a good design change by TT? Thanks!

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Sep 06, 2020 7:08 pm 
Ronbo wrote:
So, how do you like the door orientation change, where the doors are now set up for head-to-toe sleeping with a tent partner? Does this new design make it worse for tent orientation in strong prevailing winds? How much does the backwards door inconvenience the person on that side when sleeping h2h? Was this a good design change by TT?
At first I did not like the change in the door orientation. But since I have had over 30 nights in it, it has become a non issue. With my spouse I always sleep on the side with the door at my feet. This was basically done because she gets up at least a couple times each night to pee. I never have that problem. But since the bathtub floor is 10" wider than the old DR, sitting up without overly bothering her is relatively easy anyway. Also, it makes it really easy to pitch the tent and decide later which end is higher to make the head of the tent. In other words either end can be the head and it's the same. As I noted, I haven't had it in strong winds so I can't give an answer about how well it does in those conditions. Used as a solo shelter, it is a palace. Rumi PS: I like the waterproof zipper rather than the old storm flaps.

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
William Pope
mazamabill

William Pope
mazamabill
PostFri Sep 25, 2020 11:14 am 
There is also a new Zpacks tent, the Free Duo, that you should consider. It is truly freestanding, unlike the DR. However, the Free Duo is somewhat narrower - only 42”, vs 50”. I’m not crazy about the lightweight Dyneema fabric on the fly of the DR. Zpacks will use the .75 Dyneema for a little more $$, which I would consider a good investment if one were otherwise inclined to pay $700 for a tent.

pasayten
Class of 65...

pasayten
Class of 65...
PostFri Sep 25, 2020 12:20 pm 
I just ordered the Zpacks Duplex tent and paid $15 extra to upgrade from the .55 to .75 canopy material. This adds 2.1 oz to tent weight. 19 oz + 2.1 = 21.1 oz... for the base tent. I also ordered the exterior frame for when camping in areas that might require that if needed. It adds 10 oz to the weight. Most of the time for my trips I will not need it.

Happy Trails... pasayten
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostFri May 21, 2021 8:41 pm 
Circling back to this. Are you happy with the tent after a summer of use?

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSat May 22, 2021 2:32 am 
I like the DR Li. Last year and this year combined I have had it out about 60-70 nights. I don't use a ground cloth and have not noticed any wear in my floor. I ordered the ceiling liner and use it when my wife is with me but leave it home when solo. Condensation is about the same as the silnylon tent. Ihave not had it out in extreme windy conditions. With my silnylon DR, it had gromet on each side of the peak ridge to place my trekking poles to stablize in wind. I only needed that feature once, and even then used it as a preventative measure. I rarely camp in wind exposed places. Anyway, the Li version doesn't have that feature but I am likely not going to need it. I suppose I could place my trekking poles with the handle up and still stabilize the tent in that way. I will post a video below to demonstrate. The DR has lots of features my old style did not have. it can raise the end of the bathtub floor to eliminate rain splash issues. The magnetic door keepers are easier to opperate than the old loop and toggle. More headroom! My wife and I can both sit up in it at the same time. The floor is 50 inches wide compared to the 40 of my old model. Waterproof zippers on the sides are stiffer to operate. The Li doesn't stretch so it sometimes takes more adjustments to get a really taut pitch. Easier to fold, roll, and put in the stuff sack , especially in the rain. And when putting up after taking down in the rain, it is easy to wipe up any water. I wanted to get the Stratospire Li, but the DR is five inches wider, and with my wife that is a big deal. The Stratospire is taller in the interior and has bigger vestibules. And obviously, it is a double-walled tent to single-wall of the DR. Anyway, hope what I have written makes sense. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. Rumi