Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Where did you retire to and do you like it?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue May 18, 2021 6:25 pm 
Kascadia wrote:
There was a brand spanking new (still had dealer plates) Lotus in the parking lot. That was a surprise.
If you want to see exotic cars -- Northup Blvd between 140th ave and 132nd ave is the hot spot. There are Lotus, Jaguar, Rover, Bentley, Rolls, Lamborghini, Aston-Martin and even Maclaren's. If you want a Ferrari -- those are in Redmond now -- relocated from the old location on 12th and Union in Seattle (close to the old REI building) Pre-pandemic you could see lots of poor investments by cruising the parking garages in the area boxed by 148th AVE and 164th AVE and 30th ST and 54ST in Bellevue/Redmond -- not just exotic cars , but highly customized pickup trucks that had and never will haul anything more than TVs, couches and groceries from CostCo.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostTue May 18, 2021 6:30 pm 
Randito wrote:
not just exotic cars , but highly customized pickup trucks that had and never will haul anything more than TVs, couches and groceries from CostCo.
Where I'm from in Michigan it's a right of passage for a young adult to purchase a $50,000 Chevy or Ford truck and indebt themselves to finance companies for a decade. If you don't have one you won't fit in. Good luck driving a Subaru or Toyota there and not getting vandalized.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue May 18, 2021 6:51 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
Where I'm from in Michigan it's a right of passage for a young adult to purchase a $50,000 Chevy or Ford truck and indebt themselves to finance companies for a decade. If you don't have one you won't fit in. Good luck driving a Subaru or Toyota there and not getting vandalized.
Yeah -- that's not the issue in the MSFT campus neck of the woods -- not uncommon to see customized pickups with several $100K sunk into them. In the '90s softies used to talk about million dollar cars. Not that the car cost a million to buy -- but back in the era when the stock was splitting and doubling frequently -- but guys (and I do mean guys) would sell $50,000 worth of options and buy a fancy car with cash. Then in a few years they realize that if they had kept drivng their Honda -- the stock they sold would be worth a million now. 1st world problems. Two summer's ago I attended a 30 year anniversary lunch for someone that I used with work with at MSFT. (I quit/retired after 20 years) He still there and is a VP now -- how much $$$ will be enough ?

altasnob

altasnob
PostTue May 18, 2021 8:37 pm 
DadFly wrote:
The inversion layer is a nasty thing. My last couple years in the area I lived up by Arlee and worked in Missoula. Descending into that brown smelly cloud every morning was not pleasant. It stretches all the way up and down the Clark fork from Turah to Ninemile. And up the Bitterroot to Darby. Getting a season pass at Snowbowl was the best way to get out of the smog and socialize.
I have heard winter inversion is bad in Wenatchee as well. I lived in Salt Lake City, and dirty air inversion was bad for two, three weeks out of the winter. Puget Sound gets it once in awhile as we're also a polluted metro surrounded by mountains. After living in inversion prone areas, I plan on avoiding them in retirement, or at least getting a place above the typical inversion layer. It is worse than wildfire smoke.

Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostThu May 20, 2021 7:04 am 
I really appreciate everyone’s input. It really does make a difference if you are single or not. If I was married I’d happily go to some wild snowy place in Montana or Colorado but as a single female I have to be more practical and think about the inevitability of needing medical care. North Bend seems like a solid choice, somewhere up Edgewick road, away from the multimillion dollar homes. Not exciting or new. But way better than Seattle.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu May 20, 2021 8:42 am 
altasnob wrote:
I have heard winter inversion is bad in Wenatchee as well. I lived in Salt Lake City, and dirty air inversion was bad for two, three weeks out of the winter.
I've never seen it, but have heard Phoenix is just a smog bowl, and not necessarily confined to winter.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu May 20, 2021 11:25 am 
I think you need to go further east, remember the saying, "Go West Young Man!". Now it's the opposite.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
RichP

RichP
PostThu May 20, 2021 11:27 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I think you need to go further east, remember the saying, "Go West Young Man!". Now it's the opposite.
But not too far east or the same issues arise. No mountains in Iowa though.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu May 20, 2021 12:10 pm 
Roly Poly, I retired right here, and I have no intention of moving now or any time in the future. It doesn't really matter where you go - any place where property (and other) taxes are lower is being inundated with new arrivals from other areas - Idaho apparently one of the first choices of those who want to "get away" from urban blight and confiscatory tax rates. Sequim, where both my mother and oldest sister just moved, is exploding, so they'll be looking at crazy traffic problems in short order (along with their nut-ball local government.) I'd advise against moving too far east, unless you're talking about the northeastern US - there's far too much stupid in the middle.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu May 20, 2021 6:47 pm 
RichP wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:
But not too far east or the same issues arise. No mountains in Iowa though.
I think the area that you moved to is nearly perfect, close to so much hiking, the winds, Montana, Bitterroots, Canada, and only a days drive over to the North Cascades, albeit a long drive.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
altasnob

altasnob
PostThu May 20, 2021 11:06 pm 
My parents are around 80 and live most of year in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, and love it. I have been several times and would recommend as a good spot for a single retired person regardless of gender. Very social expat scene. Not great access to hiking compared to here but there is a local hiking club that goes out on a hike each week, and they have connections that allow them to hike on private property (which is all they really have there). Perfect weather and great food. Getting expensive but not as bad as US. Good health care, although medicare doesn't reimburse for all of it, so expect to travel home for major procedures. Here are some of the local attractions:
1.5 hours away:

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri May 21, 2021 2:17 pm 
Ahh, the misconceptions of it all. The Okanogan Valley is extremely diverse, if you are talking people, not politics. I love that part of it. I do not love the good ol' boy gubmint, but find it a nice place to live. Don't move here. When I go over to the Methow, it's a shock. High end cars tailgating me and pretty much all white folk dressed in the latest outdoor fashions. I prefer the more down to earth part of the county, Don't move here. Who was that old Seattle newspaper guy who had a Don't Move Here campaign going? I rather like that line of thought. Oh, and don't forget about water. The Methow once again, has a building moratorium because of the water issue. I see all the building going on here and wonder if we are next. I see a McMansion going up on the top of the hill above town. If it weren't for the tribal land, we would end up like Wenatchee, with endless McMansions going up on both sides of the valley. I hope the tribe never caves in to developers. We'll see how the smoke goes this year and if the town burns up. Yup, my neighbor was talking about running around putting out embers one year--I think it was the year of the Carlton complex. It could happen. The same could in North Bend too.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri May 21, 2021 3:35 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Who was that old Seattle newspaper guy who had a Don't Move Here campaign going? I rather like that line of thought.
Emmett Watson https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesser_Seattle Emmett was nostalgic for the pre-707 days before the huge boom in Seattle employment from Boeing supplying aircraft for the Jet Age.

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostSun May 23, 2021 9:18 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
And I keep seeing Teslas wherever I go.
Last summer, I saw a frickin' Tesla on NF-4330 above Salmon La Sac. I hope they found a currant bush at Tucquala Lake to plug it into.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun May 23, 2021 10:29 am 
kleet wrote:
Anne Elk wrote:
And I keep seeing Teslas wherever I go.
Last summer, I saw a frickin' Tesla on NF-4330 above Salmon La Sac. I hope they found a currant bush at Tucquala Lake to plug it into.
You think they need to plug in everywhere they stop? Most EV's have 300-500 mile range now. I occasionally drive my Chevy Bolt up to a trailhead. I always see Teslas in the Stevens Pass parking lot when skiing.