Forum Index > Gear Talk > Tire recs?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostTue Jun 01, 2021 7:27 pm 
After this extended road trip I’m going to need new tires and I feel like my use case is not well covered by CR or other reviews/ratings. My usual advisor about car things (Dad) is not really familiar with it either. Does anyone have any suggestions for a tire that is good for ~70% highway/city, ~30% dirt/gravel, and decent in snow too? I have 2011 CR-V LX 4WD. Current tires are the CR recommendation from 5 years ago (Firestone destination LE2) which have been surprisingly good, but the new/current version doesn’t get great reviews. Is there a “more rugged” all season tire that would be suitable or ? I looked into Goodyear triple treds based on a previous tire thread but apparently they don’t make my size. TIA for any suggestions!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostTue Jun 01, 2021 10:12 pm 
Michelin CrossClimate2 or CrossClimate. These tires have surprising mileage ratings considering they also qualify as a snow tire. tirerack.com is a good resource for comparison.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostTue Jun 01, 2021 10:22 pm 
All terrain tires tend to be very noisy on the highway, and are really unnecessary for any gravel road. Outside of very soft surfaces there is no need for them. I do have these on our Jeep, but it’s not used for much regular driving. Four seasons tires are really the way to go for mostly on road use, and can handle any forest road. It appears your tire size is 225/65-17. I have personally used Michelin MXV4s when replacing tires on our Hondas ( Both 2WD and AWD), really good for rain and what snow we’ve been out in. Road noise is very reasonable.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
RichP

RichP
PostWed Jun 02, 2021 6:04 am 
I have been happy with my Nokian Wrg4's. I drive on lots of icy roads and they are rated for snow but can also be used year round. They helped me overcome my weenieness regarding winter driving. https://www.nokiantires.com/all-weather-tires/nokian-wr-g4/

seawallrunner
mike

mike
PostWed Jun 02, 2021 10:07 am 
InFlight wrote:
All terrain tires tend to be very noisy on the highway, and are really unnecessary for any gravel road.
This. I think that the mileage is worse too. For Wetside I get the best wet pavement performance I can find. Work fine for gravel roads and pretty good in snow. Currently running Michelin Defender LTX M/S All- Season. I think Costco has them but maybe not quite the same.

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostWed Jun 02, 2021 11:38 am 
Costco currently has 4 CrossClimate2's 225/65R17 out the door for $666 ($110 off). 60K mile warrantee and the wet and snow ratings on tirerack are much higher than other all-seasons. I don't work there or own these but they will be my next set for my SUVs.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jun 02, 2021 1:11 pm 
I bought All Terrain tires for my Suburban last year after having Firestone street tires on it and I was worried about the noise, but haven't really noticed a lot of difference, definitely not enough to be bothersome. As far as gas mileage, it's a Suburban and I haul a lot of stuff, so not really worried about that aspect. Maybe tires are like the "What footwear to you wear hiking?"....it's a matter of which vehicle, the conditions you expect to encounter and how you are going to use it.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jun 02, 2021 2:57 pm 
I have been using Michelin LT/XT II on my 4Runner for 9 years and many miles and they have worked well not noisy on the road. Will soon be lookin for something for the 4 wheel Camper on a F-150 17”. Probably E grade do not know if Costco carries one. Have heard good things about some cooper. Currently have Goodyear Defender tires but am looking for something with stronger sidewalls.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostWed Jun 02, 2021 8:02 pm 
Malachai, we put Costco special order E rated KO2 from Goodrich on our 4wc setup. You need much higher pressure. No noise or mileage difference which pleasantly surprised me. (edit to add) We increased tire pressure from the P rated 35/35psi to E rated 45/62 on our 4WC setup.

Walkin' Fool

Walkin' Fool
PostThu Jun 03, 2021 12:05 pm 
I've only put a couple thousand miles on them, but so far I'm really liking the Yokohama Geolandar A/T. They're not loud on the highway, they handle very well, and have great traction in wet conditions. I haven't been in the snow with them yet, and while they're certainly not winter tires, they do have the 3PMSF certification. There's a slight hit on gas mileage, but not bad.

yorknl

yorknl
PostThu Jun 03, 2021 6:07 pm 
I second this. I've got E-rated Wildpeaks on my 4Runner and they're great tires - noise isnt any worse than whatever Toyota put on it, no noticeable mileage decrease, solid performance all around, and look good.
seahuskies wrote:
Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:22 pm seahuskies wrote: Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jun 03, 2021 7:17 pm 
I actually did notice some tire noise today while driving with the windows down, but I have AC so usually don't have the windows down, even so the noise was not really annoying at all.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
ejain

ejain
PostSat Jun 05, 2021 10:00 pm 
mike wrote:
Currently running Michelin Defender LTX M/S All- Season.
+1 Replaced the (stock) Yokahama Geolanders on our Crosstrek with these last year. Can't tell any difference, except that the car is much more stable when hitting pooled water on highways. Plus these tires don't collect as many pebbles...

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSat Jun 05, 2021 10:12 pm 
You're gonna want to pull into a western schab. Invest a Saturday. Sit in the lobby - Always guys in there talkin' tires. Talkin' rubber. Devote a full Saturday, sit down at a western schwab, enjoy some coffee and listen to these tire guys for a day. Best way to learn tires.

Geography Nerd
Beer Tester

Geography Nerd
Beer Tester
PostTue Jun 08, 2021 12:57 pm 
A third for the Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail Just replaced the tires on my 2016 Tacoma with the same, have been very happy with them after 15K miles.