Forum Index > Trip Reports > Jefferson Peak 5/29/2021
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Jun 01, 2021 11:36 am 
Went out with Craig and Kirsten to do Jefferson Peak in the Olympics Take the Hamma Hamma Road and just after Hamma Hamma Campground take a left over the Hamma Hamma river to the road that eventually goes to Jefferson Lake. Take the road that switch backs right right over Jefferson Creek and then you will be able to park by the 2819T marked on the map. Nobody can drive to Goober Pond due a very large washout. My minivan aka "Old Goat" made it to here. We walked the road to Goober Pond and then went cross country up and then started veering left following a route by someone on peakbagger.com When the route traverses left you will eventually hit a mine field of slide alder. I recommend going up the way we came down. We eventually came to a scree field and small rocks which were a relief and then we went up the couloir just south of the summit. Snow started around 4500 feet I believe. We kicked steps up to a col west of the summit. From the col it was a little dicey move either into a very small moat and then to small trees, or staying just above the moat to the same small trees. Then steep class 3 moves with trees to hang on to. A small scramble rope was used for up and down. The summit ridgeline from here is about 100 meters west of the true summit. The ridgeline had some low class 3 sections, otherwise mostly class 2. What a glorious day from the top! We came down the same route on the ridgeline to the col. Some glissading fun was had thereafter. On the way down we stayed to southern side of the main gully/basin trying to avoid as much brush as possible and taking advantage of as much snow as possible. Eventually a way opened for us to traverse the basin filled with more slide alder and then we headed for the abandoned road that is by Goober Pond--less brush was experienced on our way out than compared to our way in. 8 hours round trip and a lot of fun with the sun!
map
map

Art is an adventure.

reststep
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostTue Jun 01, 2021 1:53 pm 
A great outdoor trip but even better company! Thanks, Stefan and Kirsten!

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostTue Jun 01, 2021 5:46 pm 
Awesome trip y'all!! Another rarely done peak...I liked it a lot when we did it. Your route seems a little better than the one we took lol! cheers.gif

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Jun 02, 2021 8:48 am 
thanks for your comeraderie Craig!

Art is an adventure.