Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mount Wow 5/29/2021
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gymcarrey

gymcarrey
PostSun May 30, 2021 9:15 am 
I've had Mount Wow on my radar for awhile and thought it would be a nice option for a less crowded memorial weekend. I was disappointed to find FR-59 blocked off with many giant boulders right off the 706. It looks like you could walk or bike in but we hadn't brought bikes. We drove to the Nisqually Rainier entrance to where the boundary trail starts. We spoke with a ranger who told us that both the parking lots on either side of the entrance are for park staff and we couldn't park there. I had downloaded a third option from Mike Black on peakbagger that looked like a pretty direct approaching from the Westside road, heading up to Lake Allen and then cutting up to the saddle to meet up with the other routes. This turned out to be a great option: https://www.peakbagger.com/climber/ascent.aspx?aid=1451617 About 1.8 miles down the Westside road there's a pull out to park. A boot path starts just past a few large downed tree. It's short and steep with only a handful of easily manageable blowdowns and once you get past the first 200 ft of climbing a nice boot path becomes evident. Full snow from 4000 ft. Consolidated and easy to climb with micro spikes. At 4500 ft the grade mellows and we were at Lake Allen shortly after. Lake is mostly frozen/snow covered with a little turquoise popping through. We headed north over a huge avalanche snow pile and decided to go up a mellow gully to the west. This turned out to be a good decision as the snow made for easy travel up to the saddle. From there it's mostly an easy walk up to the summit, following the tree line. This top section is still almost fully snow covered. We hopped off the snow at one point to a dry patch of rock and trees that seemed safer than the steep snow. Ice axe was handy on this part and for the descent. My friend spotted a bear a ways north of us just a little lower than the ridge line. Obviously great views of Rainier, but additionally St Helens, Adams, Hood, and the Olympics. I wish we had camped up here! Also wish I had brought a better camera than my crappy cellphone. frown.gif I estimate the trip from the Westside road to only be about 2 miles to the summit with around 3500 gain. Took us about 2hr45 up and 1hr30 down, with some fun short glissades down the gully. https://photos.app.goo.gl/LGQ6gMVgd7KnT7gs7

zeldathewelder
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Jun 02, 2021 10:47 pm 
Thanks for the info on finding this boot trail. I tried to find it once and hiked up part way without it before giving up. I ended up at Comet Falls as a compensation hike.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message